Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail server != hosted gmail server

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 7, 2006
18 years ago3,335 views

I just noticed, that Google is not using the same server/software for Gmail hosted as for Gmail.
Gmail reports a Server Error while my hosted domains works.

Or is this an indication for "you-pay-get-better-service-and-stuff"?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i think i know the reason why..
hosted provides you to use your own domain name and gmail put together:[put at-character here]your-domain-name
while Gmail is just : @Gmail.
thats why they use two different servers. so they wont mix up.. :/

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I doubt that's the reason. I would expect all "Gmail for your domain" installations would be hosted on the same machine(s) even though they used different domains – it's totally out of the question that they have a machine for each domain "so they won't mix up".

My guess is that they're on different servers purely because the software version is different and requires a different install. When they add new features to Gmail, they won't automatically get rolled out to Gmail for your domain – e.g. profile pictures.

18 years ago #

oh.. didnt think of it..
thanks Tony :)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The hosted version seems indeed always a bit older than the public versions. There seems to be more limits too like the 2 Gig limit.

18 years ago #

youre right..
the hosted gets "only" 2048 MB.. and Gmail users gets 2742 (and counting)

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've had one of my Gmail accounts give a server error, so I signed in with another and it worked. There are little glitches all the time that affect small numbers of users.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i'm noticed too that you can login to to your personal Gmail and Gmail Hosted at the same time, but i'm sure a few of you already knew that.

I would like to know if there is any stats online to see how many companies/people use Gmail Hosted or have access and are using it (yes i already know this service is by invitation-use only). I wouldn't want to switch one of my small groups to Gmail Hosted if only to find out that it will be closed soon or later due to not enough users or other problem.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Josue, as you can read in this thread, we nearly all have our hosted gmail domains. So I think there must be already a lot of them, without knowing how many.

There are several companies & big organisations between them, so I don't think Google can make it to close this service all at a sudden. At most they could bill some money for extra features e.g.

I'm rolling it out now for some 100 users of the organisation where I'm webmaster from...

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hey does anybody know how much time it takes for google hosted domains to send in an invitation

i registered 2 days ago for gmail hosted acccount for my domain and i requested only 25 accounts

Will google usually reject accounts ?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am not sure if they are using the same software, but I know they share the same AJAX code.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sankar: it could end up to a few weeks. So be a little patient. I don't think they reject accounts, they just don't allow you. I don't think the rules by which they decide are known.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just discovered this by further digging in my Hosted Google system. Google monitors the postmaster & the abuse address of your domain. Could be a privacy problem on the one hand, but on the other hand it could be very easy too.

I'm just wondering how they can cope with all those e-mails coming in from all those hosted domains. They'll sure use some AI algorythms for this, but this means also they'll miss some important ones.

You can create, though, an ***distribution list*** for both e-mailadresses to receive a copy of the mail send to those addresses.

All described over here:
https://www.google.com/support/hosted/bin/answer.py?answer=33389

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!