Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Marissa Mayer on Privacy (Video)  (View post)

Art Nagy [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, July 13, 2006
18 years ago3,951 views

FYI: The documentary "Google behind the screen" is a Dutch production. It was produced by the VPRO, a Dutch broadcasting company, in association with SBS-TV Australia.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Update: the full movie:
http://www.guba.com/watch/2000796349?fields=8&pp=5&query=-2087374508&o=0

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

She totally failed to address the final question.

She had a chance to reassure us (about Google's intentions, if nothing else), and she chose not to.

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The full movie is pretty darn good – recommended viewing as I pass the halfway point.

BTW, just after 23 minutes in, she talks about how if someone clicks on (say) the #3 result in football, then (assuming many clicks of that entry), then Google should move that up to #1.

Google has a Javascript onclick tracking which results are clicked on, but this is the first time I've heard an official (?) statement that there is a feedback loop based on clicks that can change the SERP's.

Actually makes some sense to me ... but certainly could lead to some abuse.

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

OK – just finished it. Yea, it's a bit tin-foil hat oriented, but asks some darn good questions. Another interesting tidbit is after the 42 minute point where they talk about Google Earth and then circle back to Marissa who ducks a question about policy ... but my guess is she was probably getting tired of the aggressive questioning.

Vincent Cerf has a GREAT close just before the 45 minute point where he actually confronts the "trust/bias" issue more directly by turning the question back on the interviewer. He was quite impressive throughout IMHO.

BTW, Brewster Kahle from Alexa/Internet Archive (and long-time pioneer) is featured throughout and had some great commentary.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

alek – I think what she meant is that the data can be analyzed to see if they can find a way to tweak the algos to make the more picked result #1. I don't think it has as much to do with letting clicks actually effect results – that would be a very black hat SEO succeptable system.

Yu [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

At the beginning they give off the impression of something fresh new and up and coming. By the end you realize they are hooking you for a public service announcement on privacy. They give google too much credit. These privacy people are so worried about there only being ONE reference that will manipulate people perceptions. When most people don't even have an opportunity to access the information (according to the show 5 billion of the people on earth are offline).

Gemme [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

As mentioned before the documentary is pretty much a Dutch production.

You can see the documentary here too, it's in real.

http://www.vpro.nl/programma/tegenlicht/afleveringen/27988731/media/28177289/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!