Google Blogoscoped

Forum

"Google App" Domains  (View post)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 14, 2006
17 years ago4,752 views

very interesting.
all (google online office services) in one google service?

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

More than likely, they're just registering a bunch of domain names now so they have them in the future if they ever decide to release a product... it also stops people from launching other products that sound like they could be google's.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

while we're at it.. I can't figure out what google.com/pagead and google.com/mbd are ... but both display non normal "not found" behavior.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Or they're launching camouflage domains... you know, register 100 domains, 99 of which you never use, and 1 which turns out to be the real product :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yes, Philipp that would be a strategy..

Stealth domain acquisitions and then launch only one domain for production purpose.. However, they are also protecting the brand from malicious squatters. If Google, can send out an memo to NYT which sez please dint mention the term "abc googled it" – rather use-- "abc used Google to search" , then in the same token it would be prudent for Google to protect themselves from domain squatter's /parked domains for such services same type verbiage domains...

Marek [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I think they don't register these domains but get them back from other people for trademark infrigement or something especially that some of these names are so stupid.

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Not that they actually need *any* domains beyond google.com... what's wrong with good ol' subdomains (groups.google.com, maps.google.com, etc.)?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with Phillip here, GoogleRiya seems like the perfect such example while they were quietly buying Neven Vision

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!