Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AdSense Updates: Include Search Results and More  (View post)

Obli [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
17 years ago4,426 views

I see they've added a "last login" thingie, too.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It exists just for say if someone use your account while you are not here... ;-)

It's really too bad that we can't change the width of the search results' frame :-(

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, for changing the width of the frame, did you try changing both places where the 650 appears? There's style="width: 650px;...", but there's also javascript below that which has var googleSearchFrameWidth = 650;

Do you get the same result even after changing both of them?

17 years ago #

Here's a fix I did for the search to fix in the Google Blogoscoped template: http://www.nirajsanghvi.com/gbsearch.html

Basically I changed the 2 values for the width, and then removed the left offset and added a horizontal scrollbar for the entries that get cut-off by the reduced width.

17 years ago #

The should have read "to *fit* in the Google Blogoscoped template" :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It doesn't look too nice. The horizontal scroll is barely visible (you see it only after vertical scrolling) and it's a big design mistake. Google should try to integrate the Ajax Search into their AdSense for Search.

Here's a nice example from GOOG's Erica Baker
http://www.ericabaker.com/ (look for the search box).

17 years ago #

It certainly isn't nice :)

Though I suppose you could tweak the font size to make it fit right. Obviously you shouldn't have to do it (is it even allowed by Google's terms to make those kinds of changes?).

Guillaume [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This is a nice feature, thanks for mentioning it.
Personnaly, what I'm waiting the most is a Google SiteSearch option (rightnow you have only WebSearch or WebSearch+SiteSearch). Of course one can hide the radiobuttons (as you did) but it is against the AdSense TOS. Breaking the TOS is not an option, at least for me.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's probably as good as you can get right now Niraj... but the horizontal scrollbar is a problem :/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!