Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How does Google (News) take traffic away from News Sites ?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 24, 2006
17 years ago2,664 views

I've been a bunch of articles which claim that Google News takes traffic away from sites.

How's this ?

I mean normally I don't go to every single news site out there.

For Ex. For News on India, I used to rely on Times Of India, now Google News shows sites such as Pak Tribune etc for a search on India.

So am I not actually increasing traffic to sites such as Pak Tribune by using Google News.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I know a small news site that has almost 70% of its traffic from Google News.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

See, that's what I'm saying. Thanks to Google News. Sites get traffic increases but unlike Digg or Slasdot they don't necessarily have huge bandwidth issues (hopefully not)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut is right (and his blog should be in Google news ^^), here at Zorgloob when we post a scoop or an article which is the main title of a group of related articles, yes, our traffic increase... Not 70%, but a big part ;)

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the complaints you're hearing are from the larger sites / sources that used to be people's exclusive destinations.

People are now using Google News because it has all their 'normal' sources but also many others. As a result, they actually lose traffic. For example Times of India is now losing some of your traffic, but if they weren't included in Google News there's a smaller chance of you (and others) using Google News in the first place.

I think some major providers are feeling that their inclusion in GN is a big draw card to get people to use it, but then once there they end up with less traffic.

M'eh. Write good articles and people will continue to read them.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

there was also a problem with france news sites because of the traffic and the copyright of their articles.

17 years ago #

I don't deserve that. And I want the freedom to post stuff that shouldn't be considered news.

But I'd like to do one thing: have a funny post about Google (Google News) on the first page of search results for "Google". Just once.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Reto, True Times of India has lost traffic from me, but who would click on articles that wouldn't interest them (even before Google News).

Alex, Did u try to get into Google News ? You should.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey, I love Google News! I was just trying to explain the problem publishers may have with the service.

Personally I think Google News is fantastic. If news services want to keep my traffic they should write good news. I still read Australia's ABC news daily cause they write good copy.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yep I love Google News too Reto.

Can't wait to see the Google-AP Deal take effect and see how they (Google) will implement it in News.

17 years ago #

I hope they won't do this. Just send people to the source. Don't do like Yahoo! News.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I guess the new goal of Google is attract maximum eyeballs onto Google properties and one of the best ways to do this on News is start your own content.

Hopefully they won't do anything stupid.

I like how it current works.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo! news is also not bad....
you can compare them at combinews.com
[ via http://blogoscoped.com/forum/20374.html]

For me, i love google news as well as yahoo news. :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Combinews is an interesting site, Thanks Pokemo.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Blogoscoped is a Google News source and I'm happy about it, because people interested in specific topics can find their way here. So it doesn't take away traffic from blogs like this one. The only thing it does, possibly, is to replace other news *portals*... because some people may figure that they might as well start their day at Google News instead of a regular big news site. Personally I never look at the Google News homepage, I only use it to search. For regular "push" news I go to human-edited (German) Spiegel.de.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!