Google Blogoscoped

Forum

PHP Programmers Swear the Most  (View post)

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

Friday, October 6, 2006
17 years ago5,296 views

So interesting how they even swear in the code itself (function names, etc..) and not only in comments..

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think this is a case of mixed up correlation!= causation.

A case can be made that PHP is insanely more popular than some other languages.

As such.. many BBs, Chat, WIKI, Comment, and Forums are written in php... and all of these have swear filters.

What percentage of swear words found are in code designed to look at swear words?

PHP is also more commonly used by younger kids than say C# or Ruby or Python.... that may be part of it too.

I don't think we can blame it on the language.

I use PHP everyday, but I never fucking swear.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's because PHP is used for web development and website code often involves a swear word filter.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry, Ryan said that.

Aaron Bassett [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

<?php
while(bloodyCodeNotWorking()) {
echo "FUCK!!";
}
?>

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But Python is also used for web development, right, and it comes out as the language with the least swear words (along with C#)...
The main difference I see between Python and PHP on a glance is that Python has a much more elegant and consistent syntax. And I'm saying that even though I program much more PHP5 than Python due to my server...
Of course, it's possible this is related to the popularity of phpBB and similar...

Greg Davies [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Personally, I think it's because PHP is more often used by amateurs, who are more likely to get stuck and frustrated, and be driven to swear.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I swear in happiness when my code works.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!