Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Acquisition Price Guide  (View post)

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 10, 2006
17 years ago7,713 views

$20 million for blogger??!!!

what a bargain. i wonder how much Adsense revenue thats made for Google. somewhere seriously north of 20 million i'd guess.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Urchin Google $???
Keyhole Google $???
Deja News Google $???

Whats with that ??

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think that the terns of those deals were made public

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

what about zipdash ?? any idea what they were aqquired for ? evenutally this become ride finder!!

EM [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I don't know if you intended this, but your sorting by price is off for MySpace (should be two slots lower).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oops, thanks!

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder if Flickr wishes they had demanded more.

Richard Gallagher [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

There is also Trademe that recently sold for NZ$700million (about US$460 million) to Fairfax Holdings.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10371268

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The MySpace purchace may have been a scam. Read the slashdot article here – http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/05/216228

wireless [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I know this is nitpicking but News Corp didn't buy MySpace, they bought Intermix, which owned 53% of MySpace, for $580m and then they bought the other 47% of MySpace for $69m.

RC [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can't believe Google blew that much money on YouTube. What were they thinking?

Yu [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I was reading that the decision solidified in about a weeks time. So it was a rushed decision. Such a price hike could only come from competition of other potential buyers and possibly the VC firms wanting to pump more out of whoever is purchasing. Their infrastructure and code base aren't really that fancy. So assets are either in employees or content. 67 employees is not that many and hopefully the hiring practices were strict. Baidu was at 1300 in 2005 (check current market cap at the bottom). And the content is either copyrighted or a large set of random low quality personal videos people use to kill their time when they are bored at work. Not that it's all worthless content, but still really hard to argue the other way.

Also google seems to have been fooled with the whole 'wow they remind me of the ambitions of google a few years ago'. And thats always dangerous.

Baidu's market cap is 2.5B to put things into perspective as to how much money that was. #1 search engine in china. The price doesnt make much sense except when you factor in high risk future potential and a long term return on ads. That is if the community holds. Doesnt seem like much inherent value here.

We'll see what page/brin can turn all this speculation/hope/future plans into. If they can engineer the next big push for online video content, good for them. To quote one of the founders they hope to have _all_ music videos on youtube in about 2 years. launch.com++ That'd be great.

Brett [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Nice chart. You should add the dates of purchase. That would make it even more interesting.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe you should factor in inflation and estimate its worth today.

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It seems the majority of these purchases were for content/users, not technology. Google already had the same tech as YouTube, they just needed the eyeballs.

17 years ago #

Brett, Tristan's original chart linked from the post has the dates of purchase, too...

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Reminds you how insane skype was

17 years ago #

Quote from the linked Digg article in reference to Tristan's chart:
"Some numbers are inaccurate, for instance Google bought Dodgeball.com for around $30M not the $1M stated... and Writely was bought for something beetween $5M-$10M, not the $2M stated..."
- YouTube

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!