Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Digg For Sale?  (View post)

pk_synths [PersonRank 2]

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
17 years ago4,521 views

Comscore says digg.com only gets 1.3 million uniques....riiiiiight...what a bunch of crap. I get 1.6 million uniques and I am in no way near what digg.com is. I had Comscore do a report on me last year and they "estimated" only 150k uniques when I know for a fact there were at least 700k at that time. Comscore is as worthless as alexa.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Digg is not worth anything – expect hype.. Initally the community place was nice.. but now, theres much to be desired!!

Why will Goog's want to invest in this heap of crap ?Can there be ROI on this property for ad's ?

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I don't understand how digg is worth anything...it's a community site that will bite anyone that buys it, maybe 5 million...but 150million...it may go for that much...but it'd be a waste of money from what I understand.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Same as YouTube, in other words.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Heh.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Roger: Nah, YouTube may have a core community of people who care who owns it, but with Digg that's pretty much the entire userbase.

If Goog bought Digg most of the community would rebel, but with YouTube? Most of its users probably have no idea who owned it before or who owns it now... nor do they care.

AjiNIMC [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Is it because of a speculation that Hedir (arguably the best community based review system and a DMOZ threat) has entered the same market with over 300 diggs?

hedir.com/cafe/13-thefriday.html – the friday 13th release of story section and hedir.com/internet-communities/story/ is the one of the digg for internet community section.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If it's based on users alone, that's about £3,000 per user, isn't it?

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

YouTube has "broad" appeal (for geek values of "broad"), but digg is very narrow in terms of demographics. Also, YouTube is a bit of a play in terms of video hosting, which is an emerging market with a lot of potential, but digg is just a quirky story selection site which doesn't seem to have much of a prospect of outgrowing its niche.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe Google are just writing their own – digg.corp.google.com is one of their internal domains... ;-)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Please, Google, do not end up buying hypes!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!