Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Orkut Is Adult-Only  (View post)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, November 10, 2006
17 years ago9,911 views

I wasn't actually. I'm going to close my account I think. I never use it, and I dont want to get out of line with Goog.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

not sure, but they may have changed the terms to ensure that the law suits of minors are negated .. Myspace is plaged with such law suits!!

Leon Santiago [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Yes, orkut always (at least in the last 3 or 4 years) had this restriction...

But, hey Philipp... a lot of orkut news in the last days, eh?
Results of a Talk+Orkut integration?

Razvan Antonescu [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Yahoo's 360 is too :) seems like a general policy

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Although I haven't read the TOS when I register, but I think it was changed days after the registration. (I remember there was a lot of lawsuit going on)

Darnell Clayton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have been aware of this for quite some time, and have blogged how easily it was for kids to set up an account on Orkut.

Unfortunately, child predators are also on Orkut, which has resulted in many lawsuits from Brazil.

A simple search reveals thousands of under aged kids ranging from 12 to 17, and some of them have relationships with adults via forums.

I brought this to Google's attention a long time ago, and hopefully they will shut down these forums, and have threatened to delete under aged account holders.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I knew this. It won't let you pick a birthdate that would put you at anything younger than 18 in your profile.

Will [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It let me sign in with me Google Account...
it knows that I am under 18...

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yep when i was registering orkut was allowed for members above 18 but the recent lawsuits might force it to change to 18............

Lol but i am 18 enough and legal to use orkut.........

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So Will they kick me out now ?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No-- this has been a rule for all social networking sites like MySpace, Friendster, Tribe, etc (although MySpace somehow was able to lower the age restriction to 15 I believe it is now), Facebook doesn't have to I think because they're network is organized in such a way that makes it so that you have to be previously aquainted with someone before connecting with them through Facebook, but none of them actually enforce the policy strongly at all.

Even though some service on your Google account may say that you are under the age of 18- different Google services will still allow you to specify a different age-- like in Orkut you can specify a birthdate that is independent of your Google account, same goes for Blogger, and any other Google service that you can specify a birthdate in. This is allowed because your actual Google account doesn't ask for your age-- https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

One example I have of this is my Orkut account (which at the time had already been migrated to a Google account so it was directly tied with it), said that I was above 18 (it doesn't let you say otherwise), while my Blogger account (before Blogger Beta was released) said I was 15, I signed up for adsense (using my Dad's information since I am a minor) and specified that I would be using adsense on my blog. They saw the information on my Blogger account and saw that that said I was under 18 and said that the site that the ads are displayed on must be managed by an adult, so all I had to do was remove my year of birth from my Blogger profile since it's optional and voila! It allowed me to sign up. Now Blogger Beta uses the Google account but you can still specify a different age in Blogger than Orkut, etc.

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

This was only in the beginning...Now, the orkuteen is full of kids ans teens...

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

btw, i don't know if y'all know this, but Google Checkout is also 18+ only.

kevin roy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

heard about the site from a friend and im here too check it out.....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!