Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Wants to Read Your Spam  (View post)

bartheq [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, November 16, 2006
17 years ago5,738 views

The first time I noticed it was July 13 2005 (:

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Nice of them to ask, I mean they’re already sitting on the data"

but of course, they need to ask, they still have false postives entering into Spambox.. this means it could be a genuine and legit email and if they are dont ask, they its an invasion of privacy!!

With emails in Spambox, its all via autobot's , so no human intravention . However for forensics, humans are needed :)_

Ramenos [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

If Google starts to read our mail, I will never use it... Never!

Ed Barton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

So what happens when I push the "Report Spam" button?

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ed, I think the difference is that a human will be looking at it, and not just parsed by a computer.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

bartheq is right, I have already seen that a long time ago.

mc [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Hmm maybe the baesian filters they are using at the moment are getting less effective

Vikram [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The E-mail in the Picture is visible please take care!!

Morover i think its an interesting thing to do analysis on spam data to find some patterns!!

Dont care if they want to see the data of people!!Itrs all trust thats important in the world!!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

whats the difference between the no button and the cancel button? looks like a microsoft gui!

Ratatösk [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

if you press cancel, you can decide later (maybe):P and if you say no, it's decided

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How do I sign up ? :p

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I always like Cancel buttons, 'cause they don't force you to make a decision. Its a non-decision as opposed to a conscious negative decision :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"How do I sign up ? :p"

yeah! I've never seen this before-- does it occur when viewing messages that you report as spam from your inbox?

Piotr Konieczny [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

I saw that popup when replying to a "spam" msg (that wasn't 'spamish' at all). I think it's because I did not use "Not Spam" on it before replying.

However, I don't have any false positive in my Spam folder now, so I cannot verify my opinion.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I thought they already did this...

.. where can i sign up?

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] Piotr Konieczny

Why is you logo looking like "Google Mail" instead of "Gmail"
and b.t.w you don't even use

[put at-character here]googlemail account

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

From the Google Faq

To remove spam from your inbox, check the box next to the unwanted message, and click Report Spam. If you discover a message is spam once you have opened it, just click Report Spam along the top of the message to send it to the Gmail Team.

The more spam you mark, the better our system will get at weeding out those annoying messages. If you or we should happen to goof and mark a good message as spam, click Not Spam at the top of the message. You can also click Undo immediately after marking a message as spam, to remove the Spam label.

Ivan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It is odd that his inbox says "Google Mail" instead of Gmail.

This is my logo now:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/logo1.gif

And this was before Talk was added:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/logo.gif

Piotr Konieczny [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

I live in Glasgow and access Google from .uk domain. AFAIR GMail is a protected trademark in UK (owned by someone else, not Google).

I created my account beeing outside UK.

Do you all folks see GMail logo? I recall having "GMail + talk" logo (the one that Ivan posted above) just a few months ago...

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Nice of them to ask, I mean they’re already sitting on the data."

they're probably trying to figure out what types of spam really annoy people, so as to adjust their spam filtering appropriately.

adam hoier [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

yep, I too have seen this warning ;) Maybe it only asks "once"? Who knows...I really don't have to use the "Report Spam" button too often...so who knows, maybe it will appear again sometime :P

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!