Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Google Toolbar for Firefox  (View post)

yow [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, December 13, 2006
17 years ago9,819 views

search suggestions adn searching within google bookmarks is quite useful ... no crashes for me with ff2

Ben Miller [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

no problems in ff2; interesting how Google is really coming down on to the desktop, aggressively offering in the install as well as later points to reset .doc and .xls to open on Google's server side products

Richard E [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No problems with FF2, so far
Worth it for Google Bookmark integration.

EricaJoy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hey Philipp,

I'm running the new Toolbar on FF2 and I haven't had any crashes at all.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My problems:
* i can't open any bookmark (it works only when I select "open in new tab")
* D&S integration: drag-an-drop doesn't work (I get an "open with" dialog), opening with Firefox doesn't work (I get a strange message that says Firefox is not responding)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

im having no problems with the new toolbar..

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no problems with FF2. This is a really good improvement. especially the D&S integragtion.

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I haven't had any problems with any of their toolbars but I was looking forward to Google Bookmark integration (a long time ago) but now I've got the del.icio.us extension I can't see any point with this toolbar. The only other reason I would have it is that it opens mailto links in Gmail rather than Thunderbird – is there anything less bloated that can do this?

17 years ago #

<<The only other reason I would have it is that it opens mailto links in Gmail rather than Thunderbird – is there anything less bloated that can do this?>>

You can install Google Talk (http://talk.google.com), set the Gmail integration and never use it. It will work system-wide.

If you want something just for FF, check:
- Gmail Manager (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1320/)
- Gmail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/173/)
- a GreaseMonkey script (http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/000238.html)

grrrrrrrr [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I am not able to install the toolbar from Google's site (even though Google is allowed to install extns). Anyone facing this problem???

David Larso [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

After installing this toolbar all flash disappeared. I thought it was NoScript, but when I disabled Google Toolbar everything was fine again. it might only happen when combined with NoScript. Did this happen to anyone else?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Worth it for Google Bookmark integration.>>
I've had my Google Bookmarks in Firefox for ages, I just used the RSS Feed they provide and have them as a Livebookmark.
I'll download it (when I get my own PC on the net again), even if it's just for the Docs & Spreadsheets thingy.

Randall [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Let me see if I can come up with a list of other extensions which give you the individual features:

Custom Buttons: Seems to be some sort of combination of Live Bookmarks and Mycroft-style search addons. Already installed in Firefox.

Google Bookmarks: use the Google Bookmarks Button extension, at http://www.menjatallarins.com/extensions/

Send To: looks sort of like the Google Notebook thing to me; not sure if they do the same thing.

Google Docs and Spreadsheets: not sure if you can do that elsewhere, though I bet a Greasemonkey script could handle it.

Google Account Sign-In: I think the Google Bookmarks button handles that, or the Gmail Notifier extension at http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/

Enhanced Search Box: Google Suggestions already come up in the default Firefox search box

Subscribe to Feed: Already in Firefox 2.0

Send with Gmail: Aforementioned Gmail Notifier extension

Google Safe Browsing: Already in Firefox 2.0

Custom Layouts: Only useful if you don't already have all the features present.

AutoLink/AutoFill: I never used these features anyway. I bet there are extensions to do some of this stuff, but I'm not sure.

SpellCheck: Already in Firefox 2.0, and back with 1.5 I had an extension to do this (I forget which one)

Word Translator: I've seen an extension for this, though I don't remember the name.

PageRank: Already discussed above.

Highlight Search Terms: OK, not present

Word Find: Firefox already has Find, though not integrated with the search box.

So basically, the following features actually require installing the Google Toolbar:

Send To, Google Docs and Spreadsheets, AutoLink, AutoFill.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

LOL [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

> snip 16 relatively useful features referenced
>So basically, the following features actually require installing the Google Toolbar:
>Send To, Google Docs and Spreadsheets, AutoLink, AutoFill.
>Doesn't seem worth it to me.

In your summary you also failed to highligh the 9 other extra extensions/programs you'd need to locate and install to provide the functionality available in one Google Toolbar.

Your point of the features being available separately seems more of an inconvenience to me.

Definitely thumbs up. For those of you that don't know the convenience of Autofill alone, are not true GTB users anyway.

Preacher [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I kept getting a segfault after installing on Firefox 2/Ubuntu Linux.

After uninstalling the extension I can't even re-install the previous version.

It has kind of horked up my setup, but I gues that's the cost of trying to be on the bloody edge.

andy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have just installed GTB 3 and was looking forward to the integration with Docs&Spreadsheets but I cannot find anything in the options menu.

When I installed it, it automatically set its language to German (my default), so I suppose it's got something to do with that since Docs&Spreadsheets is English only

Anyone using the toolbar in another language than English who can switch on the Docs & Spreadsheets feature?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have the toolbar in French, and I don't know who to use the toolbar for D&S. So it doesn't work, or I'm stupid.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The D&S integration seems buggy for me, too.

Rest of the toolbar works fine, though; no crashes for me, Phillip.

Brian Rakowski [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I'm the product manager for the Google Toolbar for Firefox and wanted to shed a little light on this issue. There is a known bug in Firefox 2.0.0.0 where Firefox hangs on Intel Macs particularly often, but also on other platforms: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353962

It's going to be fixed in Firefox 2.0.0.1 which is scheduled for release next week. We found that the PageRank feature of the Google Toolbar seems to exaggerate this problem so we put in a workaround for the Version 3 Beta. The workaround doesn't solve the problem but it tries to dodge it. This should become irrelevant once people get Firefox 2.0.0.1 but we didn't want our users to suffer in the mean time.

bradsucks [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm usually anti-toolbar (the only one I've got room for is the sweet Web Developer toolbar) but this is actually pretty good. I wasn't happy with it hogging Firefox real estate (what do I need another search area for?) but if you right click on your Firefox menu area and click customize you can actually move all the buttons around outside of the toolbar area.

I'm still playing with it, but I like the "live" Gmail and Calendar buttons much better than my previous bookmarks. The AutoFill feature seems handy and I can uninstall my pagerank extension which is nice. The Google Bookmarks integration is handy but it's lacking CTRL-D integration which the GMarks extension has and is wonderful.

Still, nice upgrade and I think they've actually got me to keep a toolbar installed now as it has enough power user razzmatazz to keep me happy.

bradsucks [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Also I like the idea of all the different search types (under Add Search Type...) but it's cumbersome having to select options from the pulldown menu each time. I'm not sure what the solution would be, but I'm much happier with my Firefox quick bookmarks, mostly because I can do it all via the keyboard.

bfel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The Version 3 Beta Toolbar Installation doesn't work (MAC OS X 10.4.8)!!!

INFORMANT [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Putting Docs and Spreadsheets into the extension is actually a step toward an offline synchronization utility. Look into the code, just keep looking into the calls.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the tip Informant!

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is this new?

http://lh6.google.com/image/menjatallarins.com/RYIA4LazknI/AAAAAAAAAKs/c_FqQT0xIyw/s288/googlebar.jpg

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry, http://picasaweb.google.com/menjatallarins.com/Google/photo#5008566700727308914

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

As Tom says, I have FF in Dutch and I don't have the D&S feature too (damned), so I think that feature is only available in FF English... Brian, can you confirm please?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Don't know if any one else uses it, but (now I've got my PC back online) I love the way they've included D&S, now my Word and Excel Files open straight in to D&S from Windows, been wanting that for a long time.

17 years ago #

One question:
What happens if you open the same file multiple times? There's a new copy every time?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah. I just checked that, it uploads a new one every time even if you haven't changed the first one, bit annoying that. But I'm used to going to the site any way, I'll just have to remember just to double click the file if I want to upload.

Shoshannah Forbes [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

For those with non-English FF toolbar: at the moment, Google D&S is only available in the English toolbar.

cs19 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I wrote about my FF2 and Google Toolbar problems in the previous thread. After disabling the Google Toolbar I no longer ran into the problem where FF2 would hang at launch. After a couple weeks of no Google Toolbar, not one single hang. I considered that good evidence of the problem involving Google's Toolbar. So, I was excited to see a NEW toolbar from Google. I have installed it, but unfortunately, I am STILL having problems with FF2 hanging at startup. With the last toolbar, it happened about 40% of the time. Now it only happens about 10% of the time, but that's still really annoying. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next update to FF2 as Brian the Product Manager stated above. The thing is, I'm not on a Mac, which seems to be the biggest problem. I'm on an XP Pro, Dell D620 with a Core Duo. I don't think it's a memory problem. I have 2GB, and the task manager shows FF hogging only about 29MB when it hangs.

Bottom line: this has improved, but the problem still seems to be there.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I updated the post, thanks Cs19!

Xeno [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Has anyone noticed that if you have the Google tool bar installed on IE and on FX2 then your custom buttons are stored with your IE and NOT in your FX2 profile?!
I use me profile on multiple computers and this is very annoying!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!