Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Removes Controversial Tips  (View post)

Krishna Kumar [PersonRank 1]

Friday, January 5, 2007
17 years ago5,921 views

The first sponsored search for blog is Blogger and Google's sites find themselves in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots in the organic results. Any thoughts?

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Old news. :-)

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

At last, Google is back to its own way ...

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice move. Wish Google would react like that to the critisism concerning China.

KT [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Has anyone noticed on the yahoo search page for google.com, the very bottom? Yahoo pulls Yahoo Answers into the mix if you are searching for a website (so no results of that kind for google, yahoo, or cnn, but yes if you add the .com).

Google's do not seem particularly friendly but I'm sure that's just an accident, ha.

1) google.com keeps coming up as my home page?
To reset your home page to whatever you prefer, navigate to that page, whether it's Yahoo or your ISP, or whatever. When you have that...
Best Answer – Chosen by users
2) google.com will not load. Any ideas to help?
I have already googled this AM, not in the past hour. No problem. It loads within a couple of seconds. 1. Try Re-starting your computer. 2...
Best Answer – Chosen by users
3) What has happened to the Google.com page? Something is not the ...

Martin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I hope they tweak the algorithm towards better relevancy and then reintroduce them.

Henning [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Plus, the calculator is working again:
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything&btnG=Suche&meta=

Was this related to those do-evil-oneboxes?

Anonymous Googler [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google runs UI experiments all the time. Just because something appears for a week or so doesn't mean that it's some big policy change, and just because it goes away doesn't mean that the blogosphere has stormed into Mountain View with torches and pitchforks. Sometimes it's as simple as "Hmm, that's not working quite the way we expected it to--ok, pull it and we'll take another look."

Or maybe we're just checking to make sure everyone is awake.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Anonymous Googler (if you really are one, which I don't know), it was more than a traditional UI experiment as it was showing to all users all the time. But if we accept your argument, then you make it look like it was a mere issue of these links not having gotten enough click-throughs or something... and unless I know for sure, I'll give Google more credit than that and believe they actually listen to internal and external criticism and realized it was, if not a conscious policy change, then a policy shift which slipped through.

Mathew Ingram [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Phil, it looks to me like Google has just changed them from "tips" with a logo to "sponsored links" with a shaded background – at least, that's what I got when I searched for blogs: a sponsored link for Blogger with a shaded box around it (which I'm totally OK with, although some are not)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's an ad.

Anonymous Googler [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Philipp, I didn't mean to imply that tips were just a UI experiment, just that Google tries stuff out all the time, and if something doesn't work, we go back and try again. And tips weren't just controversial, they were buggy.

I'm not saying that the criticism wasn't warranted. It was, and I was glad to see tips get pulled. I just think more is being read into this than it necessarily deserves.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with you, Tadeusz. Censoring free speech in China is the real "evil" and must be ended. Once Google or any company compromises their ethical (and human rights) standards, they are on a dangerous and slippery road, and most companies never recover their standards or reputation.

It is difficult to regain a lost reputation without bold, effective actions. It's been a year of censoring free speech in China and we're still waiting.

Many Chinese would wish they had pages of "tips" than censorship!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!