Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Contacts Amiss?  (View post)

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
17 years ago8,594 views

Whaah..
I'm going to export them asap. That would be a disaster if they were wiped out. Infact, a good part of my life would be wiped down if my gmail account was deleted.

I would suggest that Google creates a service to burn down and ship CDs with your data. They would be encrypted to avoid interception during shipping and would cost a few bucks.
Even better, they would be CD-RW or DVD-RW (better as Gmail is way bigger than a CD-R) and they would be an utility to sync it with your mail account (download the diff and burn it)

TB [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

No, my contact list is still there....

I am going to use the "export" function in Gmail contacts to back up my list to Yahoo Address Book.....I've been meaning to do this for ages but never got round to it. I'll do it today.

Mike Empuria [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there but I guess I'll be doing some exporting right about now.

Oren Goldschmidt [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there, but I'm following pierre's wise lead and exporting...

Paulo Pinheiro [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine is there too, no problems at the moment. But just in case... It would be usefull to do a backup...

Martin Waiss [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there, but I'm following Pierre's wise lead and exporting them right now ...

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Seconding (or seventh-ing) the all okay signal out here. Commencing operation back up.

eLd0raDo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there too. Will bach them up ASAP.

BTW: I noticed a 5min outage of Gmail this morning at around 9am CET. Anyone else?

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Done backing up. I do them regulary, so the lost wouldnt be that bad... but still anoying

Alexander M Zoltai [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there but I will, as others here have said, back mine up...

Retrolum [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

In GMail they seem to be there and working, but my complete Google Talk contacts are away ...

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Mine are still there. I believe that Gmail is very stable, but proactive caution can never hurt. Just periodically export your contacts to a safe place. Then, if you have an "always on" Internet connection at home, consider enabling POP in Gmail, and then set up a simple email client like Thunderbird to auto-download new messages once or twice per day (realistically, you don't need it more frequent than that.) This will at least save everything you have *received* (not sure about "sent" items.)

Prashanth [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

It happened to me before.... The Contacts were there but suddenly Google Talk removed all my friends from the list. After some research found out that for some reason Google moved all my friends in contacts to "block" list. No idea why. So had to move them back to "auto" again.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Update: Some users of the original Groups thread report that their lost contacts have come back.

[Via http://searchengineland.com/070131-092727.php]

Lukas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Phew. Mine are back after disappearing for the evening, and my accounts came back recently too. I always sort of thought of software-as-a-service reducing (eliminating?) the need to do backups of things like address books... now I'm not quite as sure, even after having my contacts restored.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sounds like things are back to normal, but I'll still ask a Gmail person if they have any details that they can fill in.

Tiago [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

My contacts are a bit different from before. All contacts that had 2+ emails are splitted. So, for instance, contact Foo that had foo[put at-character here]mail.com and foo2[put at-character here]mail.com emails, generated 2 contacts Foo, each one with one email as his main. I'll be kinda busy for a long time reassuring that my contacts are properly configured :(

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have not tried Gmail since reading about these problems, but I can't even get into it right now. Apparently the site is down for me.

TonyB

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!