Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Presently

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, February 4, 2007
17 years ago8,143 views

The "famous" Ionut Alex Chitu have found a proof that Google is working on a PowerPoint killer. Codename : Presently

He found some codelines about that in this file : http://docs.google.com/Localizer

var MSG_DOC_TO_PRESENTATION="Convert document to presentation";
var MSG_POPUP_BLOCKER="Presently is unable to launch your presentation in full-screen mode. Check your pop-up blocker settings.";
var MSG_EXIT_PRESENTATION="Exit presentation";
var MSG_END_OF_PRESENTATION="End of presentation. Are you sure you want to exit?";

...and more.

Raring to discover what it could be? ;-)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

YESSS!!! I already use OpenOffice for presentations but having a google alternative would be even better!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ACuctally, this will be a good feature.. if its put together into jotspot!! :)-

The framwork of JotSpot is like Sharepoint .. so imagine if you can pull and push doc, images', SS etc etc into a preently format ? that would be awsome

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

While we're at it: a service from Google SandBox resurfaced:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=wf
It's connected to local (and not to a workplace)
You can login but it detects you don't have access
I mention it for the weidest login page ever (still in testing i guess)

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

gmt as well and is now named google marketing tools
guess is in fact image labeler (we knew that)

Plus: the incorrect pages sometimes display in French, sometimes in English. Might hint the progress of the project.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Localized versions are coming as well it seems
Choose a language

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Another thought: the fact it's called Presently may mean it was a project within writely which has been scraped down, or simple the online file wasn't updated.
Which would mean that we may have to wait..

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< While we're at it: a service from Google SandBox resurfaced:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=wf
It's connected to local (and not to a workplace)
You can login but it detects you don't have access
I mention it for the weidest login page ever (still in testing i guess) >>

This resurfaced back in December:
http://ruscoe.net/blog/2006/12/google-online-assessment-and-google.asp

Interesting connection with Local Business Referrals though. I never saw that page – http://www.google.com/local/referral/ – because I'd added it to my list of services by using the CreateAccount page.

<< gmt as well and is now named google marketing tools
guess is in fact image labeler (we knew that) >>

And this happened back in September:
http://ruscoe.net/blog/2006/09/google-marketing-tools.asp

BTW, I think it's unlikely that "Google Presently" will have its own service name though as it will more than likely be integrated with "Google Docs and Spreadsheets" – I just hope they don't change the name to "Google Docs, Spreadsheets and Presentations".

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Better name:
Google Docs, Spreadsheets, Presentations and Wikis

I think Google Docs is more than enough.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Caught like a newcomer there.. :-)
I assumed you had updated it on ruscoe.net
Going back to my revisions then :-(

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> I think Google Docs is more than enough. <<

I think your right. They've only just changed the same, so at least that wouldn't be such a drastic change. Yet, they've coined "Docs" as just word documents.

Is Google Workplace in order?

Luka [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I saved the original file with the function names and descriptions here : http://www.zorgloob.com/Localizer

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

which office product will let you view pdf's from the web? could it be this one?

Peter Stinson [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Question: Why doesn't Google just buy Zoho and be done with it?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if google could buy zoho, remove that competition and intergrate the good parts of zoho. Google Office would be amazing. I think they need to buy this before yahoo, MS, or ask do.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They should buy Zoho in the past, but now they have nearly everything what Zoho offers otherwise.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

eric's profile has been blocked now. and googleoffice.blogspot.com taken with a sign-in requested.
does this info, along with the findings of presently, suggest that we could have an announcement of GOffice soon?

<sorry for repeated post>

calypso [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google already has a slideshow app: Picasa. Picasa is especially nice since it is locally installed (fast) yet has ties to the internet. If they could integrate Google Docs and Spreadsheets into Picasa and add some text editing over slides and slide arrangement functionality, it would be the sweetest little 20 megabyte office killer. In my opinion, it will be important to make the presentation app non-net-connective dependent since in many presentation situations there is no net connectivity.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> Google already has a slideshow app >>

[put at-character here] calypso

So you would use Picasa over PowerPoint for business presentations?

17 years ago #

So how do you import a PowerPoint file in Picasa Web? Or how do you show something else than a picture?

But I agree they'll use that interface for previous/next, zoom, full screen etc.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How long do you think it will be before this comes out?

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And how long before a database application? Me, I use them much more than presentations. Powerpoint, eugh.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It would be good to see an easy to use MySql database from google.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The journalists invited at the press conference of Google France ask a lot of questions about "Google Presently". Google France PR answers :
- it's a rumor
- no comment
- Google Office ? You mean "Google Docs & Spreadsheets"! We expected to upload & access to ALL types of documents...

Q: What about JotSpot?
A: We are working on JotSpot... No more comment

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What kind of PR is that?! How useless.

How Docs & Spreadsheets include all file types. Weird.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

All files means "ppt"-like files, maybe.
But she didn't associate her sentence (~= "We expect to upload & access to ALL types of documents...") to Google D&S ;-)

17 years ago #

<<We expect to upload & access to ALL types of documents>>

Oh, that should be GDrive.

17 years ago #

From Zorgloob (http://www.zorgloob.com/2007/02/google-document-et-tableur-franais-et.asp)
<<Q : (Tentative numéro 3, les journalistes sont tout de même très entêtés!) Il n'est donc pas prévu d'intégrer d'autres types de documents dans Google Office ?
R : Vous voulez dire Google Documents et Tableur! "Nous croyons énormément au potentiel d'accès et de publication en lignes de TOUS types de documents" (Belle esquive de Sandrine, ça ne ferme donc aucune hypothèse!)>>

Sandrine actually said: Google thinks that accessing your files online is something with a lot of potential.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, you speak & translate French better than me :-P

17 years ago #

So: .doc, .xls., .ppt, .pdf, .mdb etc etc. What Tom heard from Google is really interesting, that access and publication online of ALL types of documents has a lot of potential. Bring on Gdrive.

I guess I've been frustrated that Writely and Spreadsheets aren't completely fully featured, but it seems to me now that Google has it the right way round. Access first and features second.

Google is being true to its mission: access to all the world's information. The important thing is to make anything accessible (and, ahem, searchable) from anywhere. It doesn't matter, to start with, if you can't do as much with Writely as you can with (say) MS Word. You can find the document, and use it: that's the important thing. And at some point they'll add presentations and everything else.

I guess Docs & Spreadsheets – or whatever they're going to call it – is in its first iteration. The next stage will be to add more filetypes – so that you can do basic interactions with presentations and databases etc.

Then, eventually, for the second iteration, they'll improve the usability of their web apps, or the downloadable client versions, in order to make legacy installed programs (from Microsoft etc) pretty much redundant.

That I look forward to! But all this beta beta experiment 20 per cent time thing is funny. I can't believe that a Google Office isn't CENTRAL to their strategy.

17 years ago #

I'm also dead amazed (and, thinking about it, now pleased) that Google hasn't launched a basic Gdrive. It would be an easy and crowd-pleasing thing to do: have an internet space where you can store whatever you like.

But there are alternatives out there and people – I guess – don't use them much. Google's version would necessarily also be a limited space, because of storage constraints, and loads of people would upload stuff they never used.

What they're doing instead is to concentrate on interactivity. If you use a thing – open it in Gmail etc – you should be able to operate on the thing. And anything you operate on should be available for later access. This is the way they're going and it's kind of great.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!