Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Pack Screensaver Update  (View post)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
17 years ago7,671 views

... they've lost Norton Internet Security and AdAware, right?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

what is different about screensaver? i dont see any difference.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

According to Google, the ability to add photo feeds is new.
Did you get to install the version I made a screenshot of in the post?

17 years ago #

i did- will have to fiddle with it i guess. i still think a screensaver of the various doodles Hwang has done--morphing from one to the other- would be better. there are loads of photo-savers out there.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmmm, wasn't the screensaver originally called "Google Pack Screensaver", now it's "Google Photos Screensaver". Would this suggest that Google will eventually rename Picasa (Web Albums) to Google Photos.

Nate [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

1. The screensaver is spectacular.

2. Google Pack really is a great little bundle of software – Especially since they give you so much control over what you choose to install/not install.

yhancik [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

...but aren't "screensavers" outdated in an LCD era ?

I mean, the best thing to "save" your LCD screen is a black picture, right ?

17 years ago #

you know what, i musta got the old version. i hadnt had it on my PC, i DL'd it, got the old version. re-read this post, went back, redid it, now i have the new one. much better. still think the logo idea is great, tho..

17 years ago #

Yhancik, perhaps the term "screensaver" is outdated, but it's still nice to have something showing when you're away from the PC (like a digital frame).

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

As well as the screensaver (called GPhotos on disk), you also get a Firefox extension installed, which allows you to right click on feed links, and to add them as source feeds for the screensaver.

17 years ago #

Nasty, I just noticed this extension accidentally, and I can't even uninstall it through the Firefox add-on dialog.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You can disable it (it's almost the same thing) or remove it if you uninstall the screensaver.

17 years ago #

Yeah, I did disable it, but I didn't even ask Google to install this extension! That's bad behavior. Sure, I bet there was some footnote or checkbox I missed when installing this that would've warned me. But that's the alibi of every bundleware...

17 years ago #

<<I bet there was some footnote or checkbox I missed when installing this that would've warned me.>>

The screensaver installs silently.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its not Evil, Its Useful, why uninstall it?

17 years ago #

I think the problems is that the ext is at:
C:program FilesgoogleGoogle Photos Screensaver
and not in FF's ext folder.

Rick Williams [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The old screensaver was great. Google Photo Screensaver stinks. Stinks.
Did I say it stinks. Also I uninstalled it but it will not go away. Now I am stuck with pictures I do not want showing up as a screensaver. This sucks
________! The old one let me change it anytime I wanted. The new one downloaded ever freakin pictire file I had. Kow what I mean!?!?!? I hate this crap and will uninstall everything Google from here on. Please do the same until they fix it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!