Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Duplicate Content  (View post)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 11, 2007
17 years ago3,993 views

I thought Google.org was for Google's philanthropic foundation site. Why would that site have web site open directory links.

TheRaveN 2.0 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Don't you think that Open Directory project (/DMOZ) is 'dead' for some time now...?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've done a couple searches on the DMOZ site and they show recent update dates. Plus the copyright has been updated to 2007 on all of the pages. I think the project is alive and kicking.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think DMOZ has much less value than some years ago, and Google removed the directory link from their homepage and probably doesn't spend too much time on their copy anymore, but this is from Google's webmaster guidelines:

"Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites."

I still submit new sites into the directory every once in a while (it would be neat to actually have a tool to monitor what you submitted and what it's submission status is, e.g. pending, denied, approved, moved etc.)

SebastianX [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The same with Google Groups. A new set of duplicate content for each and every TLD out there. All servers share the same robots.txt.
site:groups.google.ag 8 results ;)
site:groups.google.ca 125,000 results in all langues, incl. a few in English
site:groups.google.cz 300 results in Czech
site:groups.google.de 450,000 results in all langues, incl. a few in German
site:groups.google.com 3,850,000 results
Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes not.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The most amazing one is Google.org old pages
http://www.google.org/Top/World/

Eben pictures or Google logo seems away.,

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!