Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Reader drops all feeds

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 11, 2007
17 years ago3,851 views

This afternoon my reader dropped all of my feeds, thinking maybe I lost my mind I looked for some support. After no help was found, I searched for the Google Group, found it, and found that I wasn't alone.

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Labs-Reader/topics

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sh*t me too!

x [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

subject: URGENT from the Reader team: we're working on the "feeds gone" issue.

We see this. (Yikes.) Please accept our apology for this outage,
everyone on the team is working to see what's causing the problem and
we're figuring out how we can solve this issue.

Chris Wetherell
Google Reader Engineer

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Looks like they figured it out and got it back up and running. We need a good rumor and someone to blame now.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Are they back for everyone else too?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They never disappeared for me.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just as Tony, no problem for me. Hopefully :-)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

All ok here so far...

t xensen [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Mine disappeared, are now back. I thought this was the likeliest scenario and did nothing, but I noticed in Google's Reader discussion forum that desperate people were resubscribing, deleting feeds and tags, etc., and I feel sorry for them. Maybe G should have a help item about "What should I do if I lose my feed?" – or at least offer some kind of help or advice in these situations.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Were they trying to integrate the search feature.... Hmmm something to think about.... Too bad that the first attemp failed if I am right. ;)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mine are back.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Here's Google's response from the Reader blog:

<<This afternoon we experienced a brief outage, during which about half our users seemed to lose their subscriptions. This can happen when one of the many complex systems that power Google Reader experiences a glitch. ... The good news is that no data was actually lost, it was just temporarily inaccessible. Google's systems store data redundantly to minimize the chance of anything becoming permanently lost.

We were able to identify, diagnose, and fix today's outage within an hour, which is the kind of response time that we strive for.>>
http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2007/06/todays-outage.html

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Google's systems store data redundantly to minimize the chance of anything becoming permanently lost."

It would be really nice to know exactly how much redundancy exists, and what the statistical likelihood is of losing all of our data (Gmail etc).

I recall an old Google PR piece which stated something like that "two and a half copies" of the data were stored – whatever that means.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"about half our users"
> I'm in the best half! :-D

Luke [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Today all my feeds got dropped again... I wasn't part of the outage last time..

Luke [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

hmm they're back now.. whatever

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!