Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Talk Is Back

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 6, 2007
16 years ago4,075 views

Talk's website has been redesigned and the focus is once again on the desktop client.
http://google.com/talk/

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

WOAH... Good point.... one can hope... **Fingers Crossed**

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

OMFG....you can't seriously mean.....no it can't be...... a GTalk Desktop update?!!!!!11!!!!11!!!!oneone

Please be something good!

fanboy [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Or they just wanted to see whether they'd get more downloads when emphasizing the available download. If they were to release a new version soon, why publish the new site now already?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/114032.html#id114035
lolllll
But seriously OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe, but after so much silence, why bother to update the site if there isn't something new to show?

The "What's New" link is ironic. What's new? Well, nothing.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Also, nice gmail logo and is the bar across the cha window slightly different?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I want an update!
Not a new page design!

It ain't fair! :(

lol.. :P

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I... thought... it was a real update :(
Now we wait for this.
We have Gmail v2, now we want Gtalk v2.

Cédric [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Why did they also update the "about page" if they are lauching a new version of the desktop client soon? It is strange

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

/me hopes they will update Talk and make it Linux/Mac compatible...

/me really hopes that ...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm really surprised that the Talk page doesn't mention Windows OS anywhere on the front page. The Google Pack page will notify me that it requires Windows OS.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Srsly, I cn has updayteded Gogole Tlalk, nao plz? kthxbai!

Would love an updated client, especially if it can function as a more generic Jabber client among other missing features. I am somewhat fond of Google Talk because it reminds me of what ICQ (and others) once were. They were small, fast, functional, powerful and had installers that could fit on a floppy disk with room to spare. Also, they didn't have annoying interfaces, constant advertisements or require a book to learn all the features. Okay, nowadays fitting on a floppy isn't as necessary as it once was.

Of course, Google Talk is pretty behind on features, so I use it to get in quick chats while my friends check email and not much more :(

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm just on to something...
On Google Talk's frontpage, it says:
<< PC-to-PC voice calls >>

It's called VoIP today. Isn't it? :/

See for yourself:
http://www.google.com/talk/

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes.... but PC-PC is both basic, and points out that it doesn't allow connections to landlines... yet.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I agree with Jared, calling it VoIP could cause confusion at the moment.

Maybe the recent OpenSocial/Android push means there is a need to restart Google Talk development – maybe the video conferencing software Google bought will get integrated (hopes).

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I really hope there's an update in the works here. I've been grousing to a few friends that Talk hasn't been updated in months (it's got to be over a year now), and that the Gadget has features you can't get in the client (and vice versa). Perhaps we'll be seeing a new version of the Talk client with graphical emoticons as options and group chat?

/me hopes...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!