Google Blogoscoped

Forum

FriendFeed's Google Connection  (View post)

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

Thursday, February 14, 2008
16 years ago4,710 views

Not only had I forgot I had an ID there, but all the employees are my friends! Who would have guessed?

I hope they don't waist too much of their workday reading my blog!

I signed up for this I think because of its "pedigree" and I hope it does well. But I wonder how much room in the Internet universe there is for such things.

If you sign up for a sufficient number of these feed trackers and link them all together I wonder how much bandwidth you could consume with a single brand new posting somewhere. And what keeps such things from looping around on themselves?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i used to use friendfeed and noserub/identoo, it sure is addictive.
what i like about noserub is that you can host it yourself and extend it, i don't see a way to do that with friendfeed.

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

I find the privacy discussion on the original FriendFeed blog post comments reminiscent of the privacy discussions elsewhere about the recent Google Social Graph API. The comments about the API here on Blogoscoped did not touch on the privacy issues, but they were tackled over at O'Reilly Radar: http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/02/google_social_graph_api.html

The issues are similar: they're both aggregators of public data except one is about your online activities and the other is about who your friends are.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is something like Plaxo Pulse I think?

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Personally i don't think this make any added value. i am not interested to track everyone everywhere ... but may be it can be interesting for other classes of users.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://FriendFeed.com left the invite-only status and is now open for anyone to sign-up. Below is the press release with some other info. The site is really cool, you might wanna give it a try if you haven't yet.

<<FriendFeed Inc. today announced the official launch of FriendFeed, a site where people can stay up-to-date on the Web pages, photos, videos and music that their friends and family are sharing. Additionally, the company announced that it has raised $5 million in Series A financing from co-founders Paul Buchheit and Sanjeev Singh and Benchmark Capital.

"FriendFeed’s talented and creative team shares a passion for creating great user experiences,” said Peter Fenton, general partner at Benchmark Capital. “As the volume of information online grows exponentially across a broad array of Websites, FriendFeed enables the most powerful form of sharing—that which occurs amongst friends—in a simple, compelling manner.”

The goal of FriendFeed is to make content on the Web more useful and discoverable by leveraging users’ existing social connections. FriendFeed users get a customized feed of content—from news articles to family photos to interesting links and videos—shared by people they know.

“FriendFeed offers a unique way to discover and discuss information among friends,” said Bret Taylor, FriendFeed co-founder. “It’s a great way to sift through the overwhelming amount of information available on the Web. FriendFeed has the information that you care about, because it's from the people you care about.”

FriendFeed currently supports more than 25 Web services, including popular sites such as Flickr, YouTube and Yelp. There is no software to download or install as the company’s crawling technology automatically imports and updates what users are sharing on sites across the Web.

“The beauty of FriendFeed is that it’s so easy to use,” added co-founder, Paul Buchheit. “It takes only a couple of clicks to share a link or start a discussion with friends. It makes everything you’re already doing on the Web a little more social.”

Released in late 2007 for private beta testing, FriendFeed is now publicly available at friendfeed.com. “We've made a lot of improvements based on early user feedback, and we’re excited to open FriendFeed up to a larger audience,” said Mr. Buchheit.>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!