Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Internet Explorer 8 Beta Is Out  (View post)

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 6, 2008
16 years ago14,707 views

You're running Vista? What do you think of it?

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm running Internet Explorer 8 on Vista and its working out ok except alot of the google apps don't work properly. For example try visiting google maps. Its totally unusable. And google calender keeps alerting me that it doesn't support this browser.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Unfortunately I don't like it at all Matt. We were asking for XP when buying this laptop, but they didn't have it in the store anymore and this one couples its hardware to Vista, so I can't easily install my old OS either (I suppose there might be a workaround available to get XP on it). I found the usability much lower than XP for some of the stuff I'm still using on the desktop, especially Windows Explorer, due to a couple of interface layout and behavior redesigns in Vista (even when you go back to classic design). Also, some of the apps we need don't work on Vista anymore, and one of us is already pondering switching to the competition for the next OS :)

Kirby, I added an update!
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-maps-in-ie8-large.png

16 years ago #

Google Calendar...

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-calendar-in-ie8.png

Christopher Borden [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

All in all, even if I would like the IE8 interface, I don’t see anything that would convince me to switch away from Firefox.

I'd say you expressed the sentiments shared by most Firefox users, that there's nothing Microsoft could ever offer to make me switch.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

btw, I'm not sure why you had to reboot twice. That's kinda funny. I only had to reboot once.

16 years ago #

(Kirby, after the first reboot the IE setup told me there was the need for a security update for IE or something, after which I had to reboot again... might be a Vista thing.)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The real question is, How does Blogoscoped.com look in IE 8? :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp, did yo install SP1 for vista ? if so was that before you installed IE8 ?

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Looking at the unfriendly vista & now very unfriendly IE8, I'm seriously thinking of moving to Linux on workstation use also.

Firefox saved my life from IE7. But I can't live with vista & IE8 as support of XP will seize soon :(

I'm planning for Ubuntu, what say?

At least this will save me from M$ and live.com :)

Rebecca [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hmm I think it's worth pointing out that there's already a Firefox extension that highlights the domain in the address bar URL: http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4014

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

May somebody try gmail and gmail 2.0 with ie8 ? I'm curious to see what will happen...

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And may somebody do a screenshoot of the result of this page : http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Just to have fun :)

http://acid3.acidtests.org/reference.png

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Does it run on Linux?

:)

Paul Wilkins [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Naughty Google Maps, you're using browser sniffing techniques. it's not IE that has the problem, it's Google that needs to use different techniques instead.

Browser sniffing is inherently brittle because it rely's on the browser not changing. What should be used is object detection instead.

Why Google Maps doesn't use object detection is anyones guess. Perhaps the browser sniffing was working "well enough", perhaps they didn't want to spend time doing a proper object detection solution.

Whatever the reason, splitting your code across different browsers through browser sniffing is not a solution that can survive the improvements that occur as they evolve.

Bruce Williams [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Folks use browser sniffing instead of object detection because when the first request arrives from the browser you can figure out the browser type. You've got to do another round-trip to do object detection, or you've got to download enough javascript to handle all cases. If you want the fastest possible response to the first request, you construct a single browser-specific response and send it.

Kemal Y. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Horrible beginning for IE8... I love my Firefox!

Here is a little review:
http://kemal.bioeng-network.org/2008/03/06/internet-explorer-8-beta-1-first-screen-shots/

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think this next release will push Firefox's growth.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

IE7 can remove tabs, too. (BTW, I think the performance of IE8 is a disaster.)

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like the webslices, although it would have been greater if one could select any part of a webpage and make it a webslice. Overall I guess that the only thing I like better in IE then in FF is the rss view.

And acid2 is still not working...

16 years ago #

Wait... I forgot that you need an extra tag to use the IE8 engine as default, so I was "wrong" about acid2 nog working.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My Online Bank Account already won't let me sign in with Firefox 3b3 so I'm not installing IE8b1 as well.

As for switching OS, I installed Ubuntu (dual booted with XP) and couldn't connect to my wireless network (WPA, Hidden SSID)

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Btw, I'm running FF3b4 and all of Google apps work fine except Calendar which gives a few misalignments when creating a new event visually (by highlighting an area on the graph) and the buttons on pop-up boxes when creating an event don't always respond. Gmail, Readers, Writely etc. work just fine tho'.

16 years ago #

Hmm, neither of this CSS3 for rounded corners seems to work in IE8...

border-radius: 8px 8px 8px 8px;
   -moz-border-radius: 8px 8px 8px 8px;

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-radius

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]David Mulder
I thought the browser had to pass the test on the default settings, eg. without changing anything

[put at-character here]Motti
Beta 4????

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

May be Microsoft wants the standards follow it. i am using Firefox 2.0 and i have ie5 installed with my XPSP2

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32:
   That's why I placed the word "wrong" between qoutes. Its just that the support is there, if you need it, but I would NEVER use this tag.

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32: Yes Beta 4, but a pre-release version.

On the subject, today is the Firefox Beta 4 Release Candidate Testday for the b4 release candidate, http://quality.mozilla.org/en/node/1409, it started about 45 mins ago ... so get testing :)

Travis Stone [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Here's the Acid Test, Vista 32, IE8:

http://www.270labs.com/trav/img/IE8_vista.PNG

opl [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

"I don’t see anything that would convince me to switch away from Firefox"> As long as as many people as possible switch *away* from IE6, I'm happy (as a webdesigner).
I'll obviously adopt the browser offering a better tool than Firebug 1.1 beta (an extension for Firefox), whatever the browser. For now, it's Firefox.

Josue R, [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I run Ubuntu with Firefox but try using IE 6 w/ WINE for fun and you'll notice that IE 6 for linux is the not the same in Windows. yuck!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wouldn't go for IE8 til it's final- but on my new HP PC, Vista/IE7 work fine.

Jeff McCaskey [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Too many sites are broken, even when switching back to IE7 compatibility mode. I can't find a method of uninstalling. Trying to reinstall IE7 gives error that "more recent version has been detected".

Don't install, does not qualify for "beta" status.
Anyone know how to uninstall?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

How to uninstall it in Vista?
Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program, click on "View installed updates" in the left sidebar and select "Internet Explorer 8".

razzev [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi recently I installed IE8 and used it for some time and didn't like it and want to install IE7 in my computer (i'm running vista home premium) but it won't let me do it .. Is there any way i can re-install IE7

Thanx for any help.. Will be gratful for help..... :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!