Google is down!

google.com doesn't work.

At first I thought my internet is broken

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ok it seems to be a problem at German T-Com

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, I also see it down. Including google.de, AdSense, Gmail etc....

16 years ago #

Hmm, can't work (Google Docs), can't check my mail (Gmail), can't check the news (Google News), can't search this blog (Google Ajax API), getting loading problems for every page on this blog (Google Analytics). This takes some time to sink in :)

Pris [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[moved]

I have a bad problem with Gmail, google and blogspot today. Does anybody have the same problem? I´m in Germany.

Amagi Tremper [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

youtube is also damaged.
(also from an german t-com connection)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I see it up here.

Toddy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Same here. T-Com in Munich. No Google @ all. Interesting to experience how dependent some of my processes are on Google :-/

Jonas [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've got a t-online connection too.
Google and last.fm don't work.

Above 9 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Daniel Franz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hmm, google-domains cannot be resolved, connecting to the ip my server resolved didn't work either... For the stats: 1&1

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

you could use a proxy, tor, opendns, google web accelerator etc.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

all systems are up for me.. gmail, docs, google.com , even analytics

mabye this has to do with the expiry of the SSL stuff

16 years ago #

> google web accelerator

... if you got it installed already, or else you'll have problems download it :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

try filehippo.com, softpedia...

Alice Shanks [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Well, we're in Germany, have T-Com and no Google. Argh! Any ideas about when they will have this up and running again?

16 years ago #

Blogspot is down as well, as for YouTube, I can see parts of it but most videos there or in embedded form won't play.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

From my intergenia vServer in frankfurt, cologne or another german city it doesn't seem to be a problem to connect to any google site.

Are you able to connect to a google IP like 209.85.135.147 for example? If not it would be interesting to see the results of a traceroute(or tracert in windows) 209.85.135.147 from t-com to guess whats the problem.

Vitorino [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I am in Germany and have a T-Com conexion. Everything from Google is donw here. (from Mannheim)

16 years ago #

Hmm, there was a power-outage in the whole city of Bonn. Is the main t-com<->google-router located in Bonn? ;-)

Benjamin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Same here, everything is down. Germany and T-Com. What's wrong with the internet? Last night I had a DOS attack on my server and now this...

16 years ago #

Well... this morning ;)

Tino-Designs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google is down here as well (Freiburg),
also down is http://www.n-tv.de

can anyone confirm??

16 years ago #

Daniel, do you have a news pointer to the Bonn outage? I would use news.google.de but ... :)

By the way, can't reach http://TechCrunch.com either, not sure if it's related or a coincidence.

Tino, I can see n-tv.de fine...

Rolf [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

we are in Freising near Munich and we are telecom and NO google here for almost 1.5 hours

Tino-Designs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yes n-tv.de is working again

16 years ago #

No, just read in a chat, misread the time and posted... 10:30... way too early to be connected, i think. sorry

martin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

martin[put at-character here]computer:~$ ping google.de
ping: unknown host google.de

google down, large parts of youtube down, too

nils [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

A traceroute from T-Com to 209.85.135.147 produces nothing but stars (i.e. non-replying hops) for me. Just my local router sends an answer packet. T-Com seems to have a serious routing problem here. BTW: digg.com is unreachable, too.

Stefan Klose [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google's down for me too (T-Com Server Dortmund). N-tv.de works well.

Whistlepig [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google is down here on the Bodensee as well but www.g00gle.de is still working :)

Vitorino [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

wwwoooou, does other countries report the same? I asked Brazil and everything is fine there.

16 years ago #

Come to think of, my http://FindForward.com is also still working, and as it just uses Google results that might be a good temporary replacement (outside of Yahoo.com).

colum [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

google is back up now after being down for a while. with T-Com.
seems that other north american sites were down too, e.g. digg.

16 years ago #

Yep, back now. Will post an update.

Benjamin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I have used one of the DNS server from opendns.org and I can access Google, Google Mail, Google News etc. Might help you guys too :)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I still can't see Google

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just curious, was it only T-Com?

Ken [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm in Berlin, and all my Google services were down, even the browser sync for firefox and google desktop gadgets. Now everything works, but it was a tense few minutes....

Ken [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Oh yes, and I am on T-com

Markus [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

From my server ([put at-character here] hosteurope), it worked, at the office (leased line to T-Com) and from a customer's site (also ll to T-Com), Google did not work.

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I'm on cable (KabelBW) and can use all Google services just fine. My DSL/dial up fall back line (T-COM) however is having the issues described here.

16 years ago #

Matt, I just added a bit to the post update:

<<According to some comments, not just Telekom but also 1&1 users saw Google down, though one user comments that 1&1 is using the IP ranges of Telekom.>>

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

That's right, 1&1 is using Telekom's infrastructure for internet access sold to customers, aside from backbones and data centers for hosting they don't have any lines of their own.

newstie [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hi all,
I have problem connecting with google also and while I was on my email, I got cut off from my activity. it was around 14:30. At the same time, I tried to connect to techcrunch, which I couldn't access either. I am with T-COM also. SO far it is 18:06 and I can't access Google.

Ed g. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hi all,

I'm in Duisburg and it's now 18:28 and it's still down... not good....I really need my emails for work and this is a......

Ed g. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hi again,

My google is now accessible via my mobile connection....

newstie [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Man, T-COM sks

Ed g. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It's possible to access www.google.ie......that's no help though if you need to get your email....

Füchel [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

hello there – no acces to google.de / com / us since ca 15:00.
and yes i`m with tcom.
from near wuppertal

hugo ahlberg [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Tcom Berlin, has been up back up since for some hours now.. but that was maybe the worst 30 minutes of my life ;)

[signature removed]

... [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

no google in sight with tcom in bielefeld...

T-Com F...... [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Thanks T-Com for your support and attention, google.de (209.85.135.103) is working and google.com with all related services are still NOT accessible :(

Telekom [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google is down for me :(

Nicolai [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

We've found google to be down, people with websites that link to google maps, analytics, etc, had problems, their web pages seized up completely. Google got google-analytics.com working well enough to point it at a nonworking server, so browsers would fail immediately rather than timing out slowly. maps.google.com also came back to life before the main google.com.
Overall the risks are in relying on someone else, but also in the browser, correctly timing out if you can't reach a server for a service you don't really have to have to serve your page.

T-Com F...... [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

... solution is here https://www.opendns.com/start

At least for me it works (use Change DNS on your computer)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]all Germans: Restarting your Router can help!

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Well, this tells me something about the Internet that I didn't know. I can see why there might be local Google servers in Germany and other places in the world, but I'm surprised that if they are down the connections don't automatically route to the nearest server that is up.

So was this really a Google failure or was Google possibly one of many domains that couldn't be reached due to an infrastructure outage?

The other possibility would be that Google rents servers/space from some datacenter over there and that datacenter went down.

I was previously of the opinion that Google owned their own datacenters (at least in the US) and didn't depend on companies such as (in the US) Rackspace, etc. maybe I'm wrong about that, or things are just treated differently over there.

Rusty Chrysler [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google news is up but the search page is down still at 20:28 in Germany.

Puddy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i am from germany, it is a dns problem
use opendns, it works nice!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

open dns ruins firefox

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Not to say you are wrong, but what do you mean when you say OpenDNS ruins Firefox?

I use both of them and are quite happy

Mazz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I am in Cologne/Germany and my provider is 1und1.

Google was completely gone in the afternoon, including picasa.com, blogger.com, google maps,... everything that involved google.

Since maybe 2 hours I can get picasa.com and blogger.com and the maps again. But not the main google sites and mail. And anywhere you have to login for google-stuff does not work either.

The funny thing is: I tried to put in the IP adress 209.85.135.147 as asked further down and that works.

Well, I hope it works again soon because I love getting emails :-)

Mazz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] hebbet: I restarted router and computer, it does not help. I could access an unprotected wireless network from some neighbours and with that google worked fine.

Shade [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have 1&1 – 2130 – still no gmail :(

ben [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm in Mainz and use gmx and had this problem. Cheers for the router reset tip hebbet.

JW [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Have just shut down my computer and then turned off the power to my speedport box for a few minutes – started it all up again and I have Google back! Thanks very much for the tip – probably wouldn't have thought of trying that as the rest of the internet was working!

ME [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

Using 1&1 in Magdeburg. Google is still down. At least when I use www.google.de
But 209.85.135.147 works

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

James, I too use both OpenDNS and Firefox without issue.

Octavee [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

gtalk was sluggish in the US from 2pm MT on. Gmail and google was fine.

Shade [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

1&1 – 0630 – Munich => still no gmail
Walked downstairs into the cellar, cycled the router & Gmail back.
Thanks for the tip hebbet!

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]mazz: In some cases it help. (many people reported it in GoogleWatchBlog http://www.googlewatchblog.de/)

Mazz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] hebbet: in the end it worked for me, too. I tried to switch of everything again late at night and then all came back. Very strange. Thanks

cochenille [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google Germany was still down this morning. Restarted the router as hebbet suggested and it worked. Does anyone know what happened?

Raha [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It was down in Hungary, same time. It is not simply Germany.

luannrouff [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I'm near Bamberg; still no Google. Anything I can try for a wireless connection? I also need gmail for work!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So is the whole issue caused by a DNS failure?

John S-L [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I am very glad I found this thread. I am with 1und1 and live near Dusseldorf, since yesterday I have been unable to access Google.com / Gmail / Notebook extension (where my research is filed).

John S-L [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

By the way I can get Google.de and Google.uk. If I try the IP address in Mazz post that gives my Google.ukbut link to Google.com fails. Is anyone in Google etc looking at this?

luannrouff [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google back at 4:00 in Bamberg. Life is good.

kirill [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

freenet.de
restarted my router after 4 days of thinking that I've messed smth up! thank you for the tipp! now it works again!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!