Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Spreadsheets Macros and List Mode Editing  (View post)

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
16 years ago8,574 views

Certainly seems interesting... but I assume it will take a few more months till it will be released.

PS. The list mode feature only tells me that I am not invited: "We're sorry, ***[put at-character here]gmail.com does not have permission to access this spreadsheet."

Kenneth Dreyer [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Funny how they focus on making new functions, when basic things like undoing a share and folder sharing arent even implented.

16 years ago #

Although folder sharing would be really nice, don't forget that most likely its a different team working on docs and spreadsheets (I assume that because they were both originally different products and development seems to be far slower on writely).

imma [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Kenneth Dreyer interesting that you consider the items you want doing to be basic & other things to be unnecessary :-/

Kenneth Dreyer [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Imma, I never said it was basic because I wanted them. But you got to admit, since they've already implented a share function, it's kind of wierd that you can't uninvite someone. I had a typing mistake while sharing yesterday and ended up sharing an important document with god knows who. And the funny thing is that you can't even delete it from their account again.

Just my 5 cents. I would say improving on these areas that have already been impleded is more important than making even more half-working functions.

16 years ago #

I am probably mistaken, but if you click the cross next to a name in the list at the right of the sharing tab, it will uninvite the person right...

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice find Tony.

Now, if a Googler happens to read this comment, please post in MOMA a message to the Gmail, Docs/Spreadsheets, Notebook, Sites & Health teams to stick to a consistent interface design. I hate having to find new or out-dated buttons in all of Google's services. Thanks :)

imma [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Kenneth, I just tried unsharing something & at first it didn't seem to work
Then i realised it couldn't be edited any more & also that I had previously published the document
Un-publishing the document made it dissapear from the account it had been shared too – this could be worth checking on your document

Of course this will only work if they haven't created a copy of the document while it was shared, though that would not be possible to prevent completely – screenshots/real-life-photo's can always be used to record these things :-/

hope some of that helps :)
   – imma

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think any Spreadsheet can be edited in List Mode. Just change the parameter ccc in em before ?key= in the URL.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> I think any Spreadsheet can be edited in List Mode.

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make that clear. The spreadsheet I created wasn't anything special, I just created it as an example. Who can edit it depends on the share and publish settings though.

BTW, if people are getting a "We're sorry, user[put at-character here]gmail.com does not have permission to access this spreadsheet." error when viewing my list mode, visit the normal spreadsheet first:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pQGZm2cLv1-iPXzPe9QL8Zw

And then the list mode version:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/em?key=pQGZm2cLv1-iPXzPe9QL8Zw

Razvan Antonescu [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Jérôme Flipo is right. Any of my spreadsheets could be switched to list by replacing ccc with em

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony : could you tried if that kind of features (macros, list mode editing, etc) is already available in other languages? That is to say, if you add &hl=fr or &hl=de at the end of the URL, does it changes the language?

16 years ago #

I could... but the experimental site is returning a 502 server error at the moment. I'll try to remember if it comes back online.

List mode editing doesn't seem to use localized strings though:

e.g. http://spreadsheets.google.com/em?key=pQGZm2cLv1-iPXzPe9QL8Zw&hl=fr

ahab [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

It's a pitty the Macro function is a keystroke recorder. I had my hopes set on a Function Macro Editor in which one could create definitions like:

DEC2HEX(#1) := IFERROR(MID("0123456789ABCDEF";
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^8);(16^7))+1;1);0)&
IFERROR(MID("0123456789ABCDEF";
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^7);(16^6))+1;1);0)&
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^6);(16^5))+1;1);0)&
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^5);(16^4))+1;1);0)&
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^4);(16^3))+1;1);0)&
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^3);(16^2))+1;1);0)&
QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ;16^2);16)+1;1);0)&
MOD(#1 ;16)+1;1);0)

and

HEX2DEC(#1) := IFERROR(FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1);1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-1;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16 ;0) +
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-2;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^2;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-3;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^3;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-4;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^4;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-5;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^5;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-6;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^6;0)+
IFERROR((FIND(MID(#1 ;LEN(#1)-7;1);
"0123456789ABCDEF")-1)*16^7;0)

Of course having such (DEC2HEX and HEX2DEC) functions implemented as real functions is preferable, but a Function Macro Editor would essentially be used for those functions it takes too long to wait for...

[Line breaks added to fix layout – Tony]

16 years ago #

Ahab, since it looks like you can essentially edit the code for each Macro, I guess there will be nothing to stop you doing that if you're well-versed in JavaScript.

game [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

what site is it that your accessing?

ahab [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony Ruscoe:
I don't expect much of being able to edit the JavaScript. Probably the Google Docs programmers will sandbox the functions that can be used, so only a very restricted set of functions can be used.
For end-users having to write their own Function Macro replacement probably will be no joy either.

I can't imagine yet what the Macro editor presented in the article really would be useful for. It probably will be another half-baked proof-of-principle feature just like the change color by rule feature or even the charts. These features are not being enhanced but instead annoying new features like the dreaded auto-complete and the still instable forms were introduced (annoying only because they appear to promise more than they actually can deliver). And now there is this upcoming List View/Edit of which the nices feature is that it almost simulates the Excel AutoFilter (again annoying because of the almost as the AutoFilter feature only has real use with the related SUBTOTAL function).

The new features show, tie a knot in my stomach, as it looks like the priority in Google Docs spreadsheets still is rolling out new features. But at the same time no proper scientific calculation can be done in Google Docs spreadsheet; just enter a number 1E-16 and see how this number is rounded completely down to 0. And try to format a number in Google Docs with e.g. a fixed number of decimals other than 2, you can't without resorting to a function.

I love new features, but I hate the fact that in Google Docs existing features don't get debugged, enhanced and honed. It's probably me, I expect too much quality from a Bilion Dollar company that is breeding 'race horses' instead of 'cart horses' that can run together. The result is feature creep, leading to unstable products that are only cheered by feature fetishists.

P.S.: A more up to date version of DEC2HEX would be:
DEC2HEX(#1) :=CONCATENATE(ARRAYFORMULA(MID("
0123456789ABCDEF";QUOTIENT(MOD(#1 ; 16^(1+ROWS(A$1:A$8) -ROW(A$1:A$8))) ;16^(ROWS(
A$1:A$8) -ROW(A$1:A$8)))+1;1)))

[added line breaks]

Christi M [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

For the life of me, I can't find the List mode option anywhere on the Share this document window.

What am I missing? Must the spreadsheet be published first?

16 years ago #

Christi, the feature hasn't been released yet. I was accessing one of Google’s experimental sites. If you want to try list mode on one of your spreadsheets, just replace "ccc" with "em" in the URL.

Christi M [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I tried your tip Tony of replacing the "ccc" with "em" in the URL but all I get is a 404 error page.

16 years ago #

You're right. I've just tried this again and it seems Google has disabled this feature again...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!