Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Heavy Resistance to New Facebook Design

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, September 13, 2008
15 years ago3,909 views

I, personally, like the new Facebook, but i seem to be the only one. I have never seen this sort of backlash to an update like this. I've seen tons of statuses expressing some serious hatred towards it, group invites, and even events. If Google decided to make orkut not suck (although i have given up hope on that happening anytime soon), now would be an awesome time.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

After the last few updates it getting better I personally believe, but I am afraid that orkut wouldn't stand a chance any more... its far too late, people won't switch that easily...

MB [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Screenshots?

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Facebook's new design is not ugly. The frist impression is uncomfortable. But when you realize how it works, you love it. In my opinion, it's not a matter of doing an idiot-proof design, people will understand it after some time.
As David said, it's not that easy. Let's suppose Orkut gets so amazing, so cool. From the moment their users realize it is nice, and spread the word, AND current Facebook users switch... we'll be celebrating the new year 2010...
In my country, the "facebook wave" started around march, and now, almost six months later, it's starting to be popular.
With Fotolog (a photoblogging site) it took two years.
I don't see a bright future for Orkut...

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I switched to the new layout as soon as I was able to (Not because I liked it, but to get used to it). Now it's grown on me and I like it.

Even if a SNS (Social Networking Site) is good, it may not cause people to "swap" or even try it out. In my opinion Yahoo Mash is one of the best SNSs out there, but due to the fact that every ones comfortable with their current ones its not had many users and is closing.

Any way to make Orkut popular all you have to do is colse it, rebrand it as a Google Product* and "leak" information about it 24h before hand :P

*I know it is already but it doesn't look it and it doesn't have Google in it's name

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

"New Facebook FAQ" from Facebook Blog:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=29205447130

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

As i said, i like it too, but i've never seen so many people react so badly to something like it. Even if the change is good, if people get too mad about it, they'll resist it too much to get used to it and learn to embrace it.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like it, it's a major improvement after they allowed users to add applications. But it's facing a lot of resistance. Maybe people like to have their profiles look like crap.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

lol..
I agree with Jared and Danny..

I like the new design, and i really don't understand why people hate it so much..

Anyhow, as Danny said, i hope Google will take advantage of this and promote Orkut a bit more worldwide.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Well it's not just about promoting Orkut-- it's about making Orkut not suck. The last Orkut redesign was a huge disappointment. Anyways, i created another Boycott the New Facebook group on Facebook to get people to join Orkut-- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39623628448

There are more that one group of that sort with over one million members and dozens of others with hundreds of thousands each. People really hate it. Orkut still sucks, and i usually don't like blindly choosing one product over another just because of the company, but even though Google still hasn't done anything special with Orkut, i'm trusting that they will. I just hope they do it soon. I want to go to Orkut.com and see a completely new website that completely rocks. *sigh* i can dream

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've heard that one month ago, only 10% of Facebook users were using the new design...

I don't like it too. You have to click everywhere, all is mess-up, and with Firefox 3 some links (handled by JavaScript events) don't work anymore...

emily [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

It is an old things but they uses a new design and some time it will workout. And also appriciate the Facebook and its things.
--------------
emily

[Signature removed – bg]

emily [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

It is an old things but they uses a new design and some time it will workout. And also appriciate the Facebook and its things.

[Signature removed – Tony]

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML I use Firefox 3 and haven't had any problems with any javascript.

Ashly [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I think the New Facebook takes and breaks what was simple, elegant and useful and replaces it with a variety of tabs that hide, disassemble and confuse the carefully crafted narratives and preferences that millions and millions of users chose with purpose. There is about 400 percent more advertising space on the New Facebook. Um, yay? Did we want that?

http://www.unboundedition.com/content/view/8005/50/.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!