Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Lockdown  (View post)

Joe [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, January 10, 2006
18 years ago

several months ago (as in early last summer i think) that error was caused by a bug in the "Smart Delete Button" Greasemonkey script. He should be able to log back in soon, but disable all GM scripts if you have any. The problem was the script was continuously pinging the gmail servers or something, making it appear the account is spamming or something.

Eric Senterre [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Doesn't "Please contact us at gmail-lockdown[put at-character here]google.com" sounds a bit like "Keyboard error, press F1 to continue" ?

Okay, maybe it's easier to find another email account than a new keyboard... But at least they provide a way to contact them, that's fine!

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

My Gmail has become slower and slower.
Click on the "Inbox",it needs even 10 seconds or more to load the content, and i only have 822 mails in it.
God knows what's happend.

anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hello,

I am the user of this account. Yes I'm using greasemonkey.

friend_of_daniel [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I recently got this error after logging in to my Gmail account from two different places.

I was at home, using the Opera browser (which includes an email client, aside from the fact that I might have been logged in to my Gmail account in the browser itself), and I simultaneously logged in to my desktop at work. When I opened my browser, Opera must have checked the Gmail account for more mail again, but this time from work.

Here's from Google Groups:

Brian
Apr 27 2005, 1:48 am

Make sure that you've signed out of gmail (click "sign out", don't just
close the window) before you use Outlook. 'For your safety', gmail
doesn't like it when you sign in from two different places...

(http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Past-discussions/browse_thread/thread/417ac2015e57f172/513e66c7bbec2fec)

So, when I was locked down the next day, after some research I realized this was the problem.

Hope this helps...

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think that's a bogus warning. I'm usually signed on simultaneously in 3-4 places.

any [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Maybe too many people are using gookbox.com

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah, i was signed in from my laptop and my mom's laptop and was on the phone with a friend who'd signed on to my account once without any problems. I'm always signed in on my laptop during the school day and i sign in on computers throughout the school during the day too. so yeah, i don't think it has anything to do with signing in on multiple compys

Randall [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I got the same error after futzing around with the Gmail Space extension; I may very well have overtaxed my Gmail account with excessive file transfer. Fortunately, it went away in less than half an hour, not a full day.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Gmail is faster than ever for me (especially the starred folder). I sometimes browse from different browsers (but the same computer).

The thing that crawls for me is Search History. It takes over 5-10 seconds to get to the login page of Search History. I wish they would speed this one up :).

Dave [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've got that message in the past, I put it down to GreaseMonkey stuff.

http://davesrants.com/2005/04/22/unusual-usage-wtf

val grant [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have been in lock-down for three days now and do not have a clue as to why. have requested help on this from Google but no one comes forth...are you going to keep my mail from me forever?

M. Elizabeth Krone melizabeth.krone [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This is 8:44 PM and the date is Thursday, February 9, 2006. A friend suggested I try G-mail.
   I have been using it now maybe not even a week, and found myself in lockdown for no apparent reason.
   I do have another server and can simply cancel my Free Subscription if that is necessary.
   I would like to know ,though, what it is I have done that causes me to get the information that I have been using unusual use of the system.
   I have to confess I am pretty "green" at even using Email, so I don't know what I have done to cause this lockdown.
   Thank you for any help you can give me on this.
   Sincerely and gratefully,
   Sister Mary Elizabeth Krone, Benedictine Sistere in Tucson, AZ

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe you should write directly to Gmail Team – https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_bugs?referrer=bugflow

Catherine Todd [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Dear Sr. Elizabeth, I am sorry that you experienced this "lock-down." I am an Apple Macintosh user and have never had a problem with gmail, but it apparently has happened to a few people. I would definitely write directly to gmail, but I understand about going back to your old email act. Too bad, though, as gmail is fantastic and free. Maybe they will be able to figure out this "bug" sometime soon. Yours, Catherine Todd

Barbara Barge [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I am clueless as to what is happening, but it is causing lots of headaches. Can you fix this or just let me know to go away for good. Thanks, Barbara

nadav [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

my university class has a gmail account that is used by 70 people.
usually it's no problem, but when the tests are a-coming we usually get lockdown prety fast
so i guess it's the multiple user thing that causes it

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that's silly. why use a mail account for 70 people. why not create a google group, yahoo group, or even a blog?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!