Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's "View Ads About"  (View post)

tarmo [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, February 2, 2006
18 years ago

Why am I seeing a search box within my link unit?

http://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=15945&topic=294

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

That's been around for a long time. I'm not sure why it displays. My theory is that it either had to do with not having anything relevent to display, or if their algo thinks it can make more money offering that interface, instead of words.

Miel [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Yeah, I've even used it myself, but I didn't quite like it. Clicking on a displayed ad is ok, but having people to select ads about something then takes you to a second page where ads are listed. That extra click is sometimes too much already, and the first click isn't counted for, I think.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This exist in French too since long time ago.
You have juste to enter a keyword and browsing the adwords...

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

This is quite ubiquitous.

I found it on my site when i added a link unit to it 3 months ago.

ratatösk [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

hey, that appears if no ads could be found for a link box. If you for example test your ads offline it's like that too, or if you have an empty page with no words

József Jároli [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sometimes it happens that you click on a topic shown in a link unit, and AdSense shows up a similar search box on the landing page instead of showing relevant ads.http://totheweb.blogspot.com/2006/02/search-box-in-adsense-link-units.html

katinka hesselink [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

publishers can choose this option in adsense. I don't think it's a very useful option, but google advises it for place where there is little space for an ad.

Rajiv Renganathan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I seems funny to me that we have evolved from ads-cant-sustain-a-business in 2000 to a extent of "Users can enter their own search terms into this box to view ads related to their query" in 2006!

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Still, I don't think that I would enter a term knowing that the only results would be ads. It takes extra clicks, and the mindset going into a search like that is a bit weird: knowing that the only companies you will see paid to be there.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!