Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Hacking Chinese Censorship?  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, February 16, 2006
18 years ago

2nd gen-onion routing is on its way. Courtsy of some fellows in ... Ontario :)-

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Yes,Tor is a great tool so far.

and Torpark bases on FireFox is better.

xLight [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

TOR ,TOR core or TOR-like tools

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Now, isn't cracking the censorship illegal in china? I mean, I'm all for fighting for your freedom, but wouldn't posting here be a little dangerous (No, I'm not accusing you of volunteering logs Mr Lenssen) I guess all the answers will be VIP!!! :)
But I guess in the Grand Ol' USA John Hancock was not afraid to be seen defying the tyranny of Mother England, and I'm incredibly happy he (and many others) were willing to risk their lives for it!

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, Travis you're exactly right. It's been the brave that risked it all to win our freedom.

Ben Franklin, upon signing the Declaration of Independence: "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately". The signers knew they were likely signing away their lives and fortunes, yet they took the risk, and we enjoy the freedom they gave us.

Thanks to the creators of Tor and other techniques, we are using our freedom to help empower the brave in China with the ability to know the truth about their brutal regime--and to win freedom for the entire Chinese people.

But there's probably 3/4 of the world's population currently living in dictatorships and partly-free countries, and NO government gives up power by choice. We need more brave people!

Susan B. Anthony offers some timely advice:
"Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately in season and out, avow their sympathies with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences."

Randy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Tor/Firefox(Proxybutton extension)

And recently found hidemyass.com and virtual-brower.com are quite handy.

kamus [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

virtual-brower.com cannot access from China... use a web site to hack censorship for web is a little stupid.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Travis, I'd rather shut down my blog than hand over IPs to the Chinese gov't. How could anyone live with the fact that a person is sitting in jail because one worked with an evil-doing gov't? I don't know how the Yahoo guys can live with that. I was figuring opening an anonymous thread (everyone here can stay anonymous) is better than having the radio station directly email those in the know in China... as we know, Yahoo passes on account information. Even phone calls are sometimes screened*. This is not to say the ISP cannot reveal account information of those posting here, or that my server provider doesn't secretly share logs – I don't know. On a side-note, I disabled an IP logging function of the forum (meant to block spammers) before posting the "Hacking Chinese Censorship". The less data I collect, the less someone else could pass on without my knowledge.

*I heard this story from my Chinese friend. Don't know if it's an urban legend. A western professor was teaching in China. When he was on the phone one day, talking in English to someone else, a third person in the line who apparently tracked the conversation said: "Can you talk slower please?"
My Chinese friend says that some hotels in China cannot accept westerners for this reason... because they don't have the surveillance technology installed!
Again, I'm not sure if this falls into the "urban legend" area.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes... as I said "No, I'm not accusing you of volunteering logs Mr Lenssen"
I think you would likely fight that one to the death! I'm glad to hear you also disabled the IP logging... (regularly dumping apache logs would be good too) but we all know that there is SOMEONE who has the data that they need... but anonymity is at least a bit of security through obscurity for them
All this said.... it is easier to fight a war if you don't give the enemy ways to find you. War completely changed when the US was born because we found out that it is just stupid to march in a big line and try to attack your enemy. Surprise and hidden attacks are much more effective.
But, again, this war is different. We are fighting for freedom of information now. To make information available to everyone we need to let all the options be out there and be seen!
Okay.... I'll stop arguing with myself now!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interesting – Psiphon is a Canadian-designed piece of software preparing to break through the Chinese firewall:

<<Mr. Villeneuve built a system that won't leave dangerous footprints on computers. In simple terms, it works by giving monitored computer users a way to send an encrypted request for information to a computer located in a secure country. That computer finds the information and sends it back, also encrypted.

An elegant wrinkle is that the data will enter users' machines through computer port 443. Relied on for the secure transfer of data, this port is the one through whichreams of financial data stream constantly around the world.

"Unless a country wanted to cut off all connections for any financial transactions they wouldn't be able to cut off these transmissions," said Professor Ronald Deibert, the director of Citizen Lab.>>
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060213.gtnetcops13/BNStory/Technology//

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!