Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google.com vs Google.cn Visualized  (View post)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

Monday, February 20, 2006
18 years ago

Thats really interesting and much more useful than my http://googlecompare.nfshost.com . It shows that Google does complete re-ordering rather than just censoring and we might have more idea if we did chinese searches. Sometimes the lines are down-right pointing (http://www.langreiter.com/exec/google-vs-google.html?q=mad) which proves there is more going on than just cutting out results.

Googlist [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Looks much like www.seobench.com for comparing Google v. Yahoo. I really like this trend in visual metrics.

Kaif Ahmed [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hmm... a lot of stuff I've tried has gotten some pretty similar results. Re-ordering could be a big issue but at least the results are still there, right?

But yeah, quite amazing to see how different the results are for tiananmen square, especially in this visual format where you can see the results bearing not much resembelance at all.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Try to enter banned words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_blocked_by_search_engines_in_Mainland_China)
Many results of .com version "disapear" on google.cn ;-)

John Dowdell [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

One thing I'm not clear of, in such comparisons... which language is being used in the queries?

And on a related note, have you been checking into the China issues being raised in light of the Able Danger hearings? This seems, if true, a far more significant issue to me than the degree of search improvement available in a restricted region, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much press....

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Re-ordering could be a big issue but at least the
> results are still there, right?

No. Google censors certain sites, in agreement with the Chinese gov't. Meaning those pages (millions) are completely gone from Google.cn.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

but I wonder how do the "rate" if the page soul be censored or the site to be cenensored ?? I can have a writer who moves suddenly from right to left and then "the truth laid bare" can be crawled and cached....somewhere..

I think its site Vs pages censor mode still needs further insight :)_

18 years ago #

From what I see they (Google/ Chinese gov't) censor solely based on domains/ sub-domains – that means they blacklist a lot of "harmless" stuff, and it also means they let slip through certain "revealing" stuff.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My posting from last week which I also passed on to Congress:

Google.com site:.com returns 7,680,000,000
Google.cn site:.com returns 3,940,000,000

Three BILLION, Seven hundred forty million pages which Google China censored.

And that's just the "dot coms"

Google.com <html> (to get all html pages) 8,490,000,000

Google.cn <html> (to get all html pages) 4,420,000,000

Thus Four BILLION, seventy million pages which the cowards in Beijing are too terrified to let their citizens see.

I'm stunned.

18 years ago #

> Three BILLION, Seven hundred forty
> million pages which Google China
> censored.

Support Freedom, countries do differ for reasons other than censorship, so that calculation isn't valid in my book.

For example, I get this at the moment:
7,570,000,000 google.com
4,040,000,000 google.de
7,570,000,000 google.fr

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<snip>>

From what I see they (Google/ Chinese gov't) censor solely based on domains/ sub-domains – that means they blacklist

<end snip>>

This means that there has to exist an RBL either on this side of the DMZ or that side of the DMZ.. I dont think that all 3 (MSFT/YAHOO/GOOGLE) can maintain different RBLs'. So this (implies) that the RBL is behind the "great wall". Thus to maintain syncrhonity, all 3 players need to be leased this RBL on a timely manner for maintaining most current status of the RBL.

This means that all the big three have steelpipe already installed between the "regime" and their data centers which are provsioning and yeilding SERP for .cn

fact in play is that – this type of infrastrucre does not occur just overnight or happens by magic, there is a lot of handshaking which needs to be done and takes many months in fact years to build!1

Therefore, I think that we are seeing is only the impact of some data spillage that has occured recently but this must have been going on for quite some time..so in short the big 3 have been crooks for quite a long time and ket pretty darn quiet about it .

I dunna..just some wierd thoughts of mine :)-

18 years ago #

Also, the Chinese gov't now has an effective tool to censor not only the accessibility, but also the visibility, of "enemy" sites. It's not only as if they're censored (which they are anyway), but people who trust Google and others won't even see a glimpse of them, making the censorship more effective. The only thing breaking this at the moment is Google's self-censorship notice at the bottom of some Google.cn SERPs. Now with this tool in place, what stops the Chinese gov't from using the SEs to find more "enemy" sites... to then continue blacklisting more and more "good" sites?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!