Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Net King for a Day  (View post)

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, March 1, 2006
18 years ago

Lenssen Law Clause two:
No websites with nothing but ads (IE sloths.com)

Those stupid sites always take all the best names :(

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

- You are not allowed a Flash intro on your website.

- You are not even allowed to use the Internet before you own an Internet Surfing License. Surfing without a license can cause serious problems for webmasters who have to deal with your ignorance of computers.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sorry Tony, I'd fight your second law forever! I licence would imply a regulating body, and the freedom of the internet would be lost! (of course if there were a king at all that would be the case, but if someone could revoke your licence, that would be just wrong!)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

- No flash menus
- Articles are on one page, not catted into small pieces, when you have to click "Next" ten times to read it all.
-Governments has no power under Internet (no censorship in China, Germany, etc., no data requests from Bush)
-Webmasters uses w3c validator and follows web standards.
-US pages uses .us domain names, plain .com, .org etc. are for international services only.
-Nobody is allowed to use IE ;)
-Nobody even remembers about pop-ups

-PayPal works for people in Poland
-Google answers mails.
-Spammers go to hell.

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

- You are not allowed to regulate the internet in any way, this law being the only exception.

pk_synths [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

-All your base are belong to us.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Law #1 : All content should be readable and unharmful to humanity.

Law#2 : All content should be freely created as long as it does not infringe the above law

Law#3 : All users have to report any incident where law#1 and Law#2 is broken

Law#4 : All users will support the above 3 laws at all times!!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

That is the best rule ever. I am impatiently waiting for a domain I want to expire, and hoping they don't renew! The prices on such domains is always obnoxious.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I had a domain years ago that I tried to transfer to another registrar, well lets just say in the mixup some squatting company got it! So, after four years, it expires on 4/17 this year.... I'm hoping they are too poor by now to keep renewing it. Of course, we all know another squatter is likely to grab it :(

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Oh yeah. No flash on any websites whatsoever. I hate flash. Maybe on sites like sketchswap, but not entirely flash

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

"Here’s one of mine: you are not allowed to park a domain only to offer it for sale."

With a sentencing enhancement if you pretend you're doing people a favor ("Look at all these great names we can sell you!"). I hate those guys.

I'd add:
-- If you sell downloadable software on line, you must make the software available for download within 5 minutes or offer a refund. ("Thank you for buying Super-Multi-Utility 4.5. We'll send you a link where you can download it within 1 business day" Aaarg!)

-- If your home page has cool animations that suck up 100% of the CPU time on every computer that hits it, you owe everyone a dollar.

-- If your banner ad sucks up 100% of the CPU time, you owe everyone five dollars.

-- Thou shalt not disable the end-user's right-click menu just to try to prevent him from saving the images on your web site. It doesn't work and it keeps me from opening a link in a new window. If you send me a copy of your image, I've got a copy of your image.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You are not allowed to write pages that require horizontal scrolling.

I cannot help but reiterate Ludwik: ARTICLES ON ONE PAGE.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Users would stock up an account from their credit card. Webmasters would decide on a cenrtain amount per pageview which users could accept or regret. No ads.. anywhere.

Ads are only tere cos they make you spend money so you wouldn't lose anything.

Cem Basman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

If I would be the Net KIng of a day I would look for my Net Queen, honey ...

Kenneth [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ludwik's " -Nobody is allowed to use IE ;) " is fine by me

DarthTurducken [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You can't fake your age on MySpace

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ohh DarthTurducken that's for reminding me.

Rule one :Myspace doesn't exist.

giovanni [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Microsoft is not allowed to be on internet!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The most obvious.

No spam.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

No clothes on the Internet.

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

No ads are allowed to move, play a sound or pop up. And ditto to everyone elses rules. Specially with no Microsoft. I wish all my friends joined me on Gtalk rather then use annoying MSN messenger.

Oh, and everyone should start on the internet with their own space and/or blog. Just so everyone gets there own corner of the net.

special [k] [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm disappointed by the close-mindedness of /pd's post.

Who judges what content is "unharmful to humanity"? Whose laws should have precedence in the international community for "All content should be freely created as long as it does not infringe the above law"? Why should individuals' freedom of expression be squelched because their government oppresses dissenting opinions?

I would suggest /pd take heed of Aristotle's observation, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

And while you may hate my people, my government, my values, or even me, I agree with Voltaire, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Everybody have to use Jabber, open standard for IM.
(good news – Google Talk and Gmail Chat is based on Jabber)

Monu Agrawal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Everything is for everyone.
2. Noone owns anything.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!