Forum

Upwarded  (View post)

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Monday, March 13, 2006
18 years ago

Is this based on NBC webclips?

18 years ago #

Hmm... why does the RSS have other links than the site? The frontpage only shows to 51, while the RSS already has 56 linked

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Its nice, well designed, etc. But I'm not sure what the advantage over digg is ?(apart from the registration which I agree with except that if the site became 0popular would lead to spam) Except that hopefully the userbase is less rude for now..

[Reposted 'cos it went to the wrong place last time]

18 years ago #

Philipp do you want more feedback?
Why is in the "detail" page (/item/) the name inside the brown line, but on the frontpage not?
I hate to be betatester without a logo with beta in it :D

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> But I'm not sure what the advantage over digg is ?

Well, Digg is for tech news ("Digg is a technology news website" as the front-page says)... Upwarded is for funny videos, images, games and the like.

Sure, I want all the feedback I can get, even though I stay away from the word Beta for now as it has been so much abused... think of it as Alpha for this week :)

18 years ago #

> Why is in the "detail" page (/item/) the name
> inside the brown line, but on the frontpage not?

I might change this, but the idea was I wanted to have only the bare minimum needed links and info on the frontpage and discover pages to make it as easy as possible.

18 years ago #

What are NBC webclips?

18 years ago #

> Hmm... why does the RSS have other links than the site?

Fixed!

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Personally I think the digg system where 'discover links' excludes front page items is quite good..

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Tut tut..
   Error <!-- You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE calculatedVotes <= 2 LIMIT 20' at line 1 -->

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I like it! Posted on digg: http://digg.com/links/New_Digg-Like_site_for_funny_videos,_images,_games_silliness

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

The problem I have with you displaying the first google result for my nick, which is currently my name, is that your site shows up as the first result. This has been happening for a while now, and just got worse. My site is no longer the first result for my name.

18 years ago #

Splasho, I fixed that, thanks. I then moved the developmend to the dev-system :)
Incidentally that was a small change to exclude front-page items from the top of discovery links, but I need to find a smarter way to do it. Moved this to the dev-system :)

18 years ago #

Jason, good point! I excluded the "author" page in this forum from search engines. Give it a couple of weeks to be removed from Google and others...

18 years ago #

OK, links shown on the front-page are now excluded from the discover page.

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Very nice stuff. thanks!!

EGM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Philip,

I like what you are trying to do. Can I make a suggestion or two?

I really dig (pub intended) your no-login-required approach. Do you worry about abuse? Just curious. In any case, it is a nice ease-of-use feature for the new site.

In a similar vein, for this to take off you need users to submit links. Make it easy for content owners (and by proxy, their readers) to submit a link to your service.

You could begin by allowing content owners to tag their content with a link to your service. This link could provide the URL (so the user doesn't have to copy and paste or retype it). You could also let the content owner tag the title as a starter to the description field.

I just created some links like this for my own blog. I also wrote up a piece on the process (and the removal of the "E-mail to a friend" link in favor of these social bookmarking systems. You can view it here:

http://www.evilgeniusmarketing.com/ice/direct_link.cfm?bid=DC336B0B-C8D2-CECA-8D13F07574331530

I don't think it would be that hard to compete with Digg in some respects. If you make something easier to use and share, you have a good shot at succeeding.

Nice Job!

EGM

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Feature Suggestion:
Allow either submitters or users to flag content as NFSFW (since I saw something to that effect in description)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Jason, good point! I excluded the "author" page
> in this forum from search engines.

That's great!
I have this issue too. I use "ludwik trammer.pl" domain and your site is still the first result for "Ludwik Trammer". That sux ;]

18 years ago #

EGM, your nice suggestion has been implemented. The following syntax can now be used for an automated "Upward it" link if you're a blogger posting funny links yourself:

www.upwarded.com/upwardit/?title=...&url=...

(Both parameters need to be URL-encoded...)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No login? They should have used http://openid.net/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!