Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Expand & Collapse Google Result  (View post)

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
18 years ago4,360 views

Wow!! Wish I could experiment with that.

XTO [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

That´s a lie.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No No New Feature For Me...I also think that is unnecessary..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> That´s a lie.

It's an experimental feature, meaning it only appears more or less randomly to a small portion of searchers.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd sure love to experiment with that too. :-)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe he'll share his Google cookie?

18 years ago #

Dave updated his blog post to say that he also didn't see this result type anymore...

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

Oh. For a moment, I thought I was going to have to disable my green bar sidebar.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's a great experiment. Google should extend the snippets and mix them with relevant images, facts and links from the site.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Like many other new features...Google will just choose a certain of user to test in a certain of time...LOL, Google is so weird.

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Interesting feature, but at what point does this become a copyright issue? True, one cannot copyright facts, and if G gleans facts and then represents them, that's legal ...

But is that the purpose of a search engine? More and more G seems to want to give you the answer itself – and keep you on G's site – as opposed to confidently leading you to some *other* site that has the best answer. Kinda a backwards move of Google's initial philosophy (in the beginning, other sites were going for lock-in while G was going for "love-in" ... now, G is going for lock-in, too).

It's as though Google is trying to replace Wikipedia as a place to find facts & information. I guess this goes along with G's mission ... but I'd rather have a good search engine that doesn't prevent traffic from leading to good sites.

Maybe it's just my mistaken mentality that a search engine should drive interested traffic to relevant sites ...

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

One way to sum up my thoughts:

It seems now G would rather *give* you the answer instead of *lead* you to the answer. The two are quite different, as are the implications for use, potential, and (as far as the 'net goes) power (i.e. influence).

18 years ago #

If Google can give you an instant answer and also rephrase the source text, it should be OK copyright-wise. One day a smart software might come along that can rephrase any text... even blogs (a good deal for spam bloggers, who can then automatically copy other blogger's content yet not steal their copy). As long as it can't rephrase it, it must obey to fair-use, so I guess a small snippet is OK...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey! This feature means if you search something you will not click on the link : no "hit" (visitor) for the webmaster, no ad seen, ...
IMO : as bad as "google related links".

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i wonder if this new feature has anything to do with the Orion algorithm Google just acquired. If so, it would be nice to get a sneak live peak of the instant-live results by this new feature.

on the other hand, my google is experimenting on me as i write this with their new sidebar navigation and search results. – sorry no pic :(

Nick Douglas [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I just love that Dave Winer was "searching for Canada." Did he wake up and go, "Oh shit, where's Canada?"

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!