Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube vs Google Video  (View post)

Horcrux [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, April 30, 2006
18 years ago10,134 views

For me, the fact that with Google Video you can skip to parts of the video before all the previous data has loaded is really useful. It is especially useful for long videos and for slow connections.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

YouTube vs Google Video :
http://www.ojobuscador.com/2006/04/29/los-blogs-usan-youtube-y-no-google-video/

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Personally, I see Google Video far more usable than YouTube. Less cluttered design, better flash player. I think there is just the same problem as with nearly all Google services – lack of community features. Google Video is marketplace and storage box. YouTube is social community. If Google Video had got discussion and user profiles (or simply was integrated with some social portal – orkut), it would be really cool.

But I think, that Google still could be quite happy. Take a look at Alexa stats – Google Video has 2 % of whole Google traffic, that´s not bad.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=large&y=r&url=http://www.google.com#top

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree the Google Video design is very uncluttered. I wonder if certain communities love clutteredness... look at MySpace: totally cluttered/ noisy/ free-style user-pages, but successful.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

As far as a publisher, I like YouTube better but as a viewer I like Google Video better.

Simply because YouTube is simple but cluttered, and Google is semi-complicated but simple and fast.

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

YouTube is cluttered, but still wins in my opinion. Sure, it's got all that unnecesary crap to the side and bottom that Google compresses incredibly, but YouTube just works better. Google's got a couple more features, but I still prefer YouTube. The upload is easy, the wait isn't long – that's pretty much the only thing I care about in a video service.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just can't handle Google's pixelation.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Y-tube is dishing you 200 terabyte worth of data per month- costs 1.07million per month.

What's good about g-video is that now it is reader interfaced to. One can watch the stream thru reader.

The space for VOD is growing and will maturity only when iptv comes to age. Till then enjoy what can be enjoyEd for free :)-

Me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

"I just can't handle Google's pixelation."
You can't tell Google Video to go show the video in its original size? The original file uploaded is what defines the level of pixelation.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>me
you can tell google video to show the video in the orginal size, it's in the bottom right corner of the video.(click on the down arrow)

do you think it would help if google bought youtube? or is that a stupid idea? there isn't really any other competition...

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My biggest complaint about Google Video (well, perhaps besides the long delay in getting videos published) is the fact that the interface keeps changing. It seems like every month it has a new design and I can't find old features.

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

You Tube has more content, more videos. However thats the only good point it has against google. Google does everything else better.

rollmops [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I liked GV always more then utube, simply because of the better player and videoquality. But since the release of utubes player-2 this advantage is history. And, talking about the delayed approval process, its a pain and especially at weekends you always have to wait several days until your video is approved.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

"you can tell google video to show the video in the orginal size, it's in the bottom right corner of the video.(click on the down arrow)"

Oh my god, you guys are my heroes...

scristian [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I would like something like starred videos.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I prefer Google Video for its interface. But YouTube has a lot of good content (more than Google I think – but have no stats to back that up). I am told that uploading is easier for YouTubers too.

scristian: I totally agree with that suggestion. Infact I wrote to the Google Video support team a while back about this. This was my message:

=-=-=-=-=

Hi Google Video Team,

First up: You rock. Google Video is awesome. Everyday I find new videos.
And tell new people about Google Video. They always ask "How long have I
been missing out on this thing?". I think that is a real testament to the
design of the package. It is easy to use. And it is intuitive. No one I
have shown it to has had any trouble navigating/playing/stopping etc.

However I think there is one way it could be improved. You need to allow
users to keep a list of their favourite videos. At the moment I have to
bookmark each page. And trust me my bookmarks are becoming swampped. It
would be much better if my fave videos were stored in Google Video. Then I
could see them from any PC/Mac too, rather than just my own.

I think to integrate this the link for "Purchased Videos" should be
replaced with "My Videos" and on that page the favourites of a user should
be listed along with any videos they have purchased. The whole thing could
be tied in with the Google Account so you can only add a video to your
faves if you are signed in.

Thank you very much for your time, it really is appreciated.

=-=-=-=-=

And then they wrote back a while later:

=-=-=-=-=

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your suggestion about making
it possible for users to keep track of their favourite videos. We're
dedicated to making the world's video information easily accessible, and
we're thrilled to have feedback from Google users about which features
matter the most.

We hope you'll visit Google Video beta in the coming months to see our
additions and improvements.

Sincerely,

The Google Video Team

=-=-=-=-=

Notice it is very "Thanks lah dee dar" with no actual indication that they will ever add it. But since Google is going for stars EVERYWHERE it has to come soon.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You call Youtube features clutetr? What about the horrible top frame in google video

google video + orkut? eh? so that you can never login like with orkut?

As just a viewer I prefer youtube.

Nathan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Ok, so I know there are debates about the Upload ability and usability of each service, but what i need to know is, when you upload a video to google video, do you retain ownership of the video? or does it default to google like it does with youtube?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!