Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Contact Pictures  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 12, 2006
18 years ago10,146 views

bot all profiles have the setting enabled for Pic uploads .. I was in IM mode with Garett and he also thinks that the roll out will be slow for certain features

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

You can make sound notification on or off in Settings – Chats.

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

I can only imagine some of the photo 'suggestions' I'll be getting from certain people!

+, I seem to be at the bottom of the roll out list for every new feature :(

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Woah.. I just got it. I'm checking it out... this is cool... there hasn't been Gmail new features (other than Chat) in a while..

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oh never mind.. I can't (like everyone else) see the photo feature yet. It actually doesn't look that cool to me. What do you guys think of it in general? Is it useful for any of you?

Stumpy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have not recieved the feature yet. Waiting to try it out. I keep hitting refresh and clearing out my cache hopping it will update... =)

donkey [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

logout and log in it worked for me. it's cool. I hope the google note book is a good one too.

Stumpy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I did that. It did not work. I did sign onto my "junk" gmail account. It had "My Pictures" on there. (Go figure)

So it does not look like it is being rolled out by Oldest to Newest Email addresses. It could just be random... or maybe even Newest to Oldest...??

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Mine automatically imported the picture I used in Google chat. Kind of neat really. On a useful scale, I'd call it a 3. But it's nice that they're still trying.

The ping feature is definitely appreciated. I always keep my gmail open, so when someone sends me a message, I never see it until they're offline. Thanks for listening to you users Google.

Tiago L. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think they just wanted to integrate avatars from Google Talk in Gmail Chat. But because there was potential to do other integration in Gmail with the pictures, they've added some bonus features.

Personally, and for now, I'm not very keen to the idea of pictures hovering my emails. Remember when there were contact cards hovering? ...

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It should show up for everyone in the next few days. This is one of my favorite Gmail features at Google, because if someone emails you that you don't know, you can get an idea of who it is.

Tejas Kapadia [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

What ping feature are you talking about..?! :S

Tejas Kapadia [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Oh the sound... sorry... just got up and brains still heating up... :P

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have the "ping" sound, but no images. And the link to the Gmail Support is down...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Getting an error while trying to log inito gmail now. Maybe they are updating my account...

John Knight [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

A gimmick, but a pretty cool one. About time we had some decent updates from GMAIL though.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Google has taken to heart the frequent criticism that they don't "get" social computing, and we will start to see a lot more fluffy features like avatars.

Google is also including images for Google Coop profiles.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have this future. It imported my Jabber avatar from Google Talk, but the picture isn't shared between those programs. I changed my picture in Gmail and now I have two different pictures on the same gmail account – one in Google Talk and one in mail Chat. That's stupid.

What's even more stupid Google Talk support Jabber standard for user pictures, but Google Chat doesn't. So for example I can see picture of my friend (that has Jabber account on chrome.pl server) in Google Talk, but in Gmail Chat I can't. It says that those user haven't picked a picture.

Google, do it right!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wanted to send those thoughts to Gmail Team, but their contact page doesn't work (!)

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/gmail_suggest/

"Not Found
The requested URL /support/bin/gmail_suggest/ was not found on this server."

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

gmail_suggest ?

And I got the same error message :-S

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

think this is what you're looking for...
https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_suggest/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

they have update gmail chat to 17 lingos too!!

"now offer Gmail Chat in 17 more languages: UK English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Korean and simplified and traditional Chinese"

noe all they need to do is have a live translator in between so that I can speak in english to my russian counterpart and in return he speaks in Russian to me :)_!!

on the fly translation service would break a barrier!!

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I still don't have it yet..... :-(

Tiago L. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

don't know if any of you noticed this before but i just saw that Gmail Chat went live to several non-US-english languages. As for the contact images, I guess there will be a long wait... (once again)

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ludwik Trammer...

If you browse through the help menu you will get to this web site:

https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_suggest/

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am not Picture enabled, and I don't understand how it works. Does the picture get shown at the top of their emails too?

Can anyone show me some screenshots that show parts of the implementation that are not shown on the Google release page?

18 years ago #

Oh it is ok. I am active!

18 years ago #

My g/f's account has it now.. but i still don't. I must be at the bottom of the list. :-(

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I got the contact pictures now too. It's kind of weird that there's no visible indicator whether or not someone has a contact picture, until you hover over the name and wait 1 second? (And the pics are not re-used anywhere except when you hover over the name?)

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's good that Talk/Chat images are separate from Gmail images. People often do different things with IM and email; hence, different styles/personalities. I agree that they should make sure images show up in both Talk and Chat, and perhaps there should be an option to sync the Gmail and Talk avatars.

18 years ago #

Philipp: I agree. It is strange. I wouldn't mind the option to show the pictures at the top of emails from people.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

grrrrrrrrrr.....where is my picture upload feature ??

I still have not got mine :(-

Rex Johnson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Don't have mine either. But then again, I only just got Google Chat integrated in GMail a couple of days ago. :/

18 years ago #

Wow!! I finally got it!! It looks to me like they are using the same images in Gmail as Google Talk. When I change the image in Gmail, it changes it in my Google Talk, as well. But what if I want to have two different images?? Guess I can't...

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really like the "Suggest a Photo" feature:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=35528

This really nice screen pops up on the center of the screen:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/photos-suggest-small.gif

It makes Gmail feel even more like a desktop application.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Just got it today, it took my GTalk pic as the default pic. sweet

18 years ago #

Rex Johnson: Switch your language to English US if it is not already.

Kirby: That seems to contradict what Ludwik said:

"I have this future. It imported my Jabber avatar from Google Talk, but the picture isn't shared between those programs. I changed my picture in Gmail and now I have two different pictures on the same gmail account – one in Google Talk and one in mail Chat. That's stupid."

I don't use GTalk often so I cant check.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Matt Said :
>>because if someone emails you that you don't know, you can get an idea of who it is

So am I correct in understanding that, other contact's (without Gmail accounts) will somehow manage to get their pic shared – So when I hoverover contact name , their pic will be displayed too ??

Andy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Note for UK users who want this feature asap:

I'm a GMail user from UK and have noticed that when new features are realeased, if you have your language set to US then you get the feature sooner than if you have your language set to the UK.

HTH

Andy

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

look.. new found(i think)
when im standing on a Google Talk Contact that sent me a mail it shows his picture (if he has one)
like so:
http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2nc.jpg
if its old news please let me know

18 years ago #

That *is* the feature "Gmail Contact Pictures".

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ohh i thought we're talking about the Gmail talk.. nm.. :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!