Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Complaints Due to Lack of Google Memorial Day Logo  (View post)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
18 years ago7,611 views

This was bound to happen. As Google starts to do more special logos, different groups are going to feel left out. While I agree that it's up to Google, it's hard to justify creating logos for some and not for others.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think their next step is then to support Iraki peoples.

I do agree about this cause that honouring and hide behind patriotism and in fact this is not the reality.

I do suppot them for this decision.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They should stick to creating logos for novel days of celebration (e.g., for MC Escher) and stay away from mainstream holidays, imho.

Achille [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I read the (first) book about google "The Google Story" (Vise & Malseed). In the book they specifically mention that google avoids political holidays and instead it tries to go for international holidays

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well they did celebrate French Bastille Day, Korean Liberation Day, Vote days, and US Independence Day... those are also slightly political one might think. More specifically Google had an ANZAC day logo up, which Wikipedia defined as a day "Australia and New Zealand commemorate the ANZAC Day public holiday on the 25th of April every year to honour the bravery and sacrifice of the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), and of all those who served their country"
http://www.google.com.au/logos/anzac_day06.gif

Sergey and Larry [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sorry we missed the this holiday, just wasn't on our priority list

Wait till you see our cool new logo for the anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China! You'll love it!

Sergey and Larry

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ha ha ha!!!

that made me laugh.

Josiah Sprague [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I agree that it's Google's call which holidays to include. It would make sense to include international holidays more devoutly than national holidays, since Google is an international service.

yhancik [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

oh my, it's even worse than the Tolkien logo petition

Bob [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Oh come on, it's just one guy who does the logos in his spare time. It's not some ideological decision by a giant company.

18 years ago #

> Oh come on, it's just one guy who does the logos
> in his spare time. It's not some ideological decision
> by a giant company.

You really believe it's a one-man decision which image to expose on Google's most important web page, shown to millions of users everyday?

Nah. Maybe Google would *like* you to believe that it's as relaxed like that. I bet it's not.

Andrew [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google does ANZAC day

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google has done other "political" and "religious" holidays in the past ... as has been shown. Also, Google sometimes does a holiday logo just for a specific country (you should see the list of logos that appear on google.kr ... most of those, I've never seen). Would it be difficult to have a logo shown only in the US, then, as this is a US holiday?

And the idea that honoring fallen soldiers = supporting mass-murder ... well, good to see the trolls of the net are still well-fed.

18 years ago #

> Would it be difficult to have a logo shown only in the US, then,
> as this is a US holiday?

They did this before, so it's apparently not hard :)

Sergey and Larry [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

We've been asked by many Google users to do a logo commemorating the Tienanmen Square massacre--June 4. We did the artwork, but due to lawful requests from Beijing, users will not actually see it, however we will have a disclaimer indicating certain content has been removed to comply with lawful orders. We're pretty proud of our disclaimer and hope you enjoy it too!

Sergey and Larry

Gil Rogers [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

OK, this is the dumbest topic of conversation ever folks. It's a logo on their website. Besides, the logo on their site is not what Google is for. Google is for search, not for logo amusement.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!