Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Spreadsheet feature suggestion

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 6, 2006
18 years ago14,398 views

The product is only a few hours released, but I saw already a lot of feature suggestions. Here is mine. In the File menu, a list with the most recently used spreadsheets. And why not add directly also my writely files.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Here are mine:

1.) When you search filetype:xls in Google you are able to view as HTML (it breaks the whole structure of it).

It would be great if they implemented it in a way that it opens in a view mode only in Google SpreadSheet. I would hope the same when they release Google Word.

2.) Saves Chats Gmail style

3.) Logs who changed what and when

4.) Cells drap and drop

5.) Export to PDF

6.) A search feature as Sam mentionned

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, that's strange chats are not saved. Every where else chat is saved I think?

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

My search suggestion goes beyond the scope of just the Spreadsheet. But it is the lack of search in the Spreadsheet that got me thinking.

The integration of a Google Talk archive into Gmail was inspired (if not somewhat obvious). And now it seems the time is quickly approaching that Google will have to have a way to search across all a user's Google Accounts (Mail, Talk, Writely, Notebook, and now, Spreadsheet). Whether as an integration into Gmail or as a separate 'Accounts' search page, it seems necessary and useful to be able to search across everything a user has created in their Google accounts.

I'm sure Google Desktop is an obvious solution, but we'll need to be able to do these types of searches from any terminal; not just ones with Desktop installed.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Yes, that's strange chats are not saved. Every where else chat is saved I think?

I think the problem here is that chats are saved to a Gmail account when you use Gmail Chat or Google Talk. Don't forget that not everyone with a Google Account actually has a Gmail account...

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

another suggestion is when typing an email to invite , to edit or to share and you type first word it should be similar to gmail you got the list of emails begining with this letter.

18 years ago #

and why not include spreadsheet in Google analytics, Google Adwords Adsense instead of any excel tools.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Some more:
* In cell editing
* A list of all the short cut keys that there are available. If you know some good ones, please post them here...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe one thing that should be available first: a friendly url to our spreadsheets that we want to share....

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Yes, that's strange chats are not saved. Every where else chat is saved I think?

It is very strange. With Google everywhere else *everything* is saved. I am sure saved chat (and tie it to the spreadsheet and make it searchable please) and saved actions (i.e. a revision log) will come.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey, that's all? The folks in the Google Spreadsheet Team won't have a long carreer ;-)

What about integrating webservices to get dynamic data from? For instance a weather webservice to get the actual temperature in your place...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My #1 wish are visual exports, e.g. to save a statistic as graph PNG.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

And when someone sends you a chat it should alert you.

18 years ago #

Yes Agree with Philipp or to save Dynamic Flow Charts
in a Google Video Format.
I think most decision makers will adore that.
1- Dynamic Flow chart to be exported to google Video Format
2- An Easy way of searching specific data in Google Spreadsheets by range
3- An Easy built in invite or share email list, whenever you begin typing you will get the list of your contacts.
4- Implement Google Spreadsheets to Google analytics and Adwords Tools (because honestly the adwords Graphics are too ugly) as well Adsense.
5- An Easy way to extract from any data format or text format numbers into Google Spreadsheets and the ability of easier publishing format.
6- Coming from the new panasonic Screen, it would be great later on to have a screen using Google Video and Google Spreadsheets where by your voice command you will say show me between 1978 and 2006 the net profit charts, or if you can use a physical limitation by hands where you point on a google spreadsheets screen data ranges and it will shows you dynamic flows.
7- Integrate to Each Data Name an ADWORDS where to find the best consultants in this specifi area ... youpi turning it into profit.
Thanks.

Joe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

cell borders
conditional formatting
autocomplete in the sharing textbox

Erik Dafforn [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Tight integration with Google Sitemaps to move crawling/error/click reports right over into Spreadsheets.

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Drop down menu to view and open "recent" spreadsheets – only use the modal window to view all available spreadsheets.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what I want:
1) Turn Chat Off (eg. other users see that you don't recive the chats)
2) Horizontal sum function (eg =SUM(A1:I1))
3) Public Spreadsheets (with live edit)
4) Right click menus

Miguel Marcos [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The ability to turn on data filters. The first row in a matrix becomes a drop down menu of the values contained in that column allowing one to filter the view of the matrix. Should be pretty easy to implement.

ThisisNorm [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

[moved]

Chat/IM is great put why not add voice, since computers have some type of speaker...able to not only edit spreadsheets but be able to talk about them at the same time. (you could call it a voice blog comment or whatever)

benjamin [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

A way to comment on spreadsheets. For example, we have a spreadsheet for house expenses, and I want to be able to leave a note that says "Hey guys, do you really think that 100 feet of chicken wire is a communal expense?"

18 years ago #

The big feature that is needed is being able to drag cells down (or along) to *sensibly* autofill the boxes.

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

* Open Document support (both ways)

* Smarter ways to handle (retrieve and insert) data.

* Can there ever be a complete wishlist without screaming "API, API, API"?

pmasquel [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Pivot Tables, Ability to "Freeze" Columns, synch with local spreadsheets

EC [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google banking software

Oh, now I really hoope the don't become evil.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1. a toolbar for Excel that allows me to add, upload, and edit Google Spreadsheets locally. Similiar to the toolbar Blogger has for MS Word

2. The ability to create, publish, search for, implement, and even sell Excel/spreadsheet templates.

odwl [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Be able to diff two versions, and have an http link to that diff (for change management)

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Writely is already sort of like Google Word

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

As stupid at as it sounds.. I just got my invite (1:09 pm (3 minutes ago)!!

How come I was able to play with GS the whole day and collobrate without the invite ??

Google needs to fgure out a robust product roll out strategy for the userland.. at times it breaks

Conrad Barski [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The following feature would be KILLER on any web-based spreadsheet- Bet noone's thought of it yet:

1. Allow spreadsheets to be submitted via email attachment to myname[put at-character here]gspreadsheets.com in csv or other simple formats

2. Create other spreadsheets that reference this spreadsheet dynamically (create pretty graphs, analyze statistically, etc.)

3. If another email arrives with the same spreadsheet name the server would swap the new one in to replace the old one, but maintain all the links.

Voila! Now any app that can generate a primitive csv file can generate an easy, highly customizable, web-based front end with almost zero effort on the developer's part- I'm sure app developers add this csv emailing feature to their programs in no time!

Russianger [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm in! There is so much more to do for google spreadscheet but I'm sure they are working on it.

18 years ago #

Conrad:

It would take me the same effort -if not more- to log to my email service and send the spreadsheet than uploading it directly. Plus it would junk my email box with useless sent emails and storage.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Conrad: on-line references to other sheets would be great indeed. Combine it with my webservice suggestion & it would even be greater. Make each spreadsheet cell available as a kind of webservice...

Philipp: thx for putting this on your frontpage. It seems having waked up everyone ;-) Some more & the Google guys surely know what to do for a long time...

jjonesjr [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Integration with other google services. I currently have my adsense reports sent to my gmail address daily in an excel format. Save me the trouble, and embed a google spreadsheet in the email itself. For that matter, make all adsense/adwords reports available in spreadsheet format

Hugo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

where is address to check the google spreadsheet?

18 years ago #

Hugo:

How did you land here without seeing somewhere the link to the Google Spreadsheets ? LOL

Here you go man: http://spreadsheets.google.com

BTW, did you signup for the service or do you need an invitation ?

Stephen Glynn [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Something I'd find very helpful (unless it exists and I've missed it) is some sort of reminder of what arguments the various functions take and what they actually return. I mean, it's very useful to have all these financial functions but I'm sure most of us can't remember exactly what all of them do and what their syntax is without referring to Excel or Calc.

Colin Scroggins [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Open Document support (both ways)
2) Import/Export of tabular data to SQLIte

Mark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Local editing via OpenOffice, not just Excel.

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

wheres the sigma (sum) button?

ok, its in formula -> sum, but it should be on the "format" toolbar.thats what Excel users are used to . it should be immediately visible in other words.

Josiah Sprague [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wow, lots of people have an opinion of this. I say, get rid of the file menus. They don't fit with the same feel as other Google applications. The menus are much more confusing and less intuitive than other Google products. I feel like I am using Windows 3.1 again.

Josiah Sprague [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

>What about integrating webservices to get dynamic data from? For instance a weather webservice to get the actual temperature in your place...

I agree... dynamic data would be very useful. API!!!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Josiah: Yeah!

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Lets think simpler:

1.) there's no charts like in regular excel.. all the other online spreadsheets have it.

2.) Why can't I add a hyperlink into the spreadsheet cells?

3.) If i invite somebody to view, let me upgrade them to edit right there, without sending a new invite. Same with edit, let me downgrade them to view, right there.

Adil Arif [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google will save us… I am getting help don’t worry :)

It would be overwhelming if Google may develop a syncing feature with Excel, Calc etc. and to integrate a print function

Vu Hung [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Please use http://www.google.com/support/spreadsheets/bin/request.py to give feedback.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The ability to share with people who don't already have google accounts would make it a lot more useful.

Simon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Not really a spreadsheet request, but more a request for some over-reaching user interface for Google Products that meshes them all together.

It's very hard to get from product to product and most of them seem disconnected from eachother – given that Google seem to be about joining up the World's information it's more than a little disconcerting that they can't seem to do this with their own products!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If everyone posts the url of this blog thread to the URL Vu Hung posted above. Then maybe the Google folks will notice this nice set of feature requests. I've done it already and I've asked the folks to give feedback.

Let's see if that works...

18 years ago #

Yep, did that too Art-one.

18 years ago #

Done.

Randhir Reddy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Bring the PRINT function to GS, asap. I guess they must be working on it. Sooner the better.

Mike Ricard [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What about offering the option for Google Spreadsheets to upload straight into Google Base. Seems like a no-brainer for building GBase content. Could even make some sample G-Sheets ready to use or to present as examples.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mike: integration should indeed be key in all what they do. C.f. also the lack of it with the new Picasa features.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp: BTW no feed back yet from those Googlers. Do you know if Googlers are watching your blog and this forum? (By feedback or by log analysing?)

SomeDude [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'd like to be able to sort individual columns without having to sort the entire sheet

18 years ago #

> BTW no feed back yet from those Googlers.
> Do you know if Googlers are watching your
> blog and this forum? (By feedback or by log
> analysing?)

Yes there are Googlers reading along on Google Blogoscoped (and links from here being sent around within Google), though we can't expect these threads to ever become an "official" place to post suggestions. I think the best thing to do is a combination of posting in places like here and then sending off the URL in Google's official feedback form.

Possibly, the official Google Groups for Google products are also closely monitored by Google. Somehow I never end up using them, I don't really like web forums that don't immediately show what you posted (you won't even know the URL of where your new thread is going to end up on Google Groups).

Googler [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. DD/MM/YYYY date format!!!
2. Function to get/auto update data from web service
3. Function to get/auto update from online xml/html/csv ...etc. maybe into a sheet
4. Public Sharing (View only or Edit)
5. When sharing : ability to protect some parts (sheets or cells) from editing by shared users and allow them to edit other parts.
6. Borders
7. Charts
8. Integration with Writely (Just like Word/Excel)....
9. Export/Print as PDF
10. Copy Format
11. Tahoma?

Googler [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

12. Versioning and List of changes by user!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!