Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Java Setup Comes With Google Desktop  (View post)

shellehs [PersonRank 5]

Friday, June 16, 2006
18 years ago4,460 views

i think it's "late"-bunding.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Google is trying it's best to get it's foot in the door with Google Desktop search. Because once Vista come's out.. who need google desktop??

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But for along time JE2 updates were always pushing Goog in one way or the other..the last I heard was tweaking Google as the default search

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Good point Kirby. I think Google may have come up with something though for when Vista is released that will be much better than the vista search. Or at least they are working on it. (Desktop needs a much smaller memory footprint)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I personally think Google is trying to stop people from buying Vista.

Firefox = IE7+
GDS = Widgets, Search

Many theme packs out there are offering the vista look.

Windows Defender = Security

Why does anyone really need Vista now ?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Whether or not people buy a copy of Vista doesn't really matter all that much. The fact is that it will be pre-installed on many (95%?) computers people buy. And why are those people going to download Google Desktop then?

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Personally I still think it isn't great and is almost spam (though not nearly as bad as most bundling). There is no relationship between wanting Java and wanting Google Desktop, so you're not really providing a service. And you are giving another slightly confusing installation option to work through (will Java lack some features because I haven't installed Google Desktop?).

Stuk [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Just like to point out that the title says "Java Setup Comes With Google Desktop", but the article says that Google Desktop comes with Java Setup. I assume the second one is correct?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Stuk, where does the article say that Google Desktop comes with Java....?

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

And was the Typical and Custom installation in use, is this related to update-type installations only??

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!