18 years ago #

<<< And we wouldn't have Google Blogoscoped... >>>

At least 80% of it anyway. :-)

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

LOL .. nice comment :))

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't think all of that is true. Google are very good at attracting the innovative thinkers to their company. Had they been at others at least some of those things might have been developed at other companies or startups.

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Splasho, with a wide dispersion of those innovative thinkers, the chances are little. At the very least, the products would have come into the market a lot later than they did. Don't forget, these innovative thinkers were also given the necessary platform and the time. Not to mention the money-power and the might of Google standing behind them.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

if Google did not exist, then "google it" would not be in the OED!!!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

oh and this article would have never been written bya 6th grader :)-

http://chiles1993.googlepages.com/googlepaper

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If google didn't exist, someone else might have stepped up and created at least parts of it. The problem is would the other have forced its competition to improve their offerings so quickly?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If Google didn't exist, we'd be happily using AltaVista, not knowing what we're missing.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Lucky people would get to work in the Altavistaplex.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Google was meant to Exist and to Survive.

If it doesn't exist at all, I think at least some other people and same investors will run a similar project but it will have slower entrance to the market.

I would have still called my son Oliver Google Kai.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oliver Microsoft AltaVista-Yahoo-Lycos-Hotbot Live Kai (beta)

woww ^^

If Google didn't exist, China would censor without any reaction from whomsoever.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

whomsoever search
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ablog.outer-court.com+google+china+-inurl%3Aforum&btnG=Search

Sandra [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here] Tomhtml:

> If Google didn't exist, China would censor without any reaction from whomsoever.

I guess, that is only too true.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I would'nt say "we'd be happily using AltaVista"; more like grudenly searching through pages and pages of meta feeds :(

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There's a brilliant guy at Guardian who has some strong opinions:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2006/07/05/if_google_didnt_exist.html

While entertaining and thought-provoking, it is also funamentally misguided, and most of the claims seem to me obviously wrong.

* we would find a mail by manually reviewing each subject and sender.

This is patent rubbish. There have been mail clients with search facilities going back to the 1980s, and today, Google isn't even the best way to search email.

* we would pay for software like Picasa, Keyhole (now Google Earth), Sketchup.

Also rubbish. It's nice of Google to buy these companies and give their products away, but Google didn't invent free software.

From what I remember Yahoo and Hotmail had lousy search before Gmail (Windows Live Mail still tries to do it well).

Who said Google invented free software?

I don't know who found this post (Garett Rogers I think), but it would've been better if no one read it. So many stupid comments.

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

ps:

baidu P/E and share will b little
ajax may b hot long time from now.
we chinese will konw little about GFW and will not to detest it so hard

quote: [ there will no SEO or spam comments or spam sites (by keso "http://www.donews.net/keso/")]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!