Google Blogoscoped

Forum

EBay Blacklists Google Checkout  (View post)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 6, 2006
17 years ago6,886 views

I think this could well backfire on them. It shows users they want to make money from PayPal.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google : +0.25%
eBay : -2.43%

ebay sucks ;)

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Actually :

Google : +0.40%
eBay : -2.79%

:P

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But then again.. was there not a strategic tie up between google and Ebay some time ago ??

Chris G [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

If Microsoft did anything similar to this, the entire world would rise up in revolt, MIcrosoft would be sued and would probably lose. Ebay can't do this if Microsoft can't.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"If Microsoft did anything similar to this, the entire world would rise up in revolt, MIcrosoft would be sued and would probably lose. Ebay can't do this if Microsoft can't."

AFAIK, Microsoft is a far bigger company than eBay.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There's a part of me that can understand eBay, but on the other side I definitely think it should give users whichever payment method they freaking want. Oh well.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

goog 0.48%
ebay -3.21%
though tbh, i think this has more to do with other stuff according to google finance.

ratatösk [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

ebay is evil. Definately.....

Scott [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

people, there is more to a payment system than just being able to charge credit cards. How about dispute resolution and fraud management. In these areas, Google checkout is completely unproven. They run their payment gateway at a loss (or at most at a cost) and noone knows yet how efficient they will be in dealing with questions when money loss is involved.

read the blog below (from former PayPal employee) just to get a feel what it takes to run a payment system and how many companies got killed by fraud issues. I totally agree that eBay blacklisted Google Checkout. If after a year or so, it becomes known that Google is dealing with disputes well, I will be the first to cry for eBAy to allow Google Checkout. But for now, it's very justified.

http://xpaypal.blogspot.com/2005/12/combatting-fud.html

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Scott, if it's unproven, why start out assuming the worst? Shouldn't they only ban them if they become a problem?

While eBay owns Paypal, it's still stupid to restrict your customers' freedoms. People like having a choice.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>>While eBay owns Paypal, it's still stupid to restrict your customers' freedoms. People like having a choice.<<

agreed. I think this is going to backfire on them.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Niraj Sanghvi,

why start assuming the worst? Because historically criminals test every new payment system to probe for its weaknesses.

just read that blog – it's very high quality and you will learn a lot and it will answer your question. The burden of proof in money transfer business is on Google and tens of other companies that failed in very big part because fraud losses killed them. I totally support eBay in this because if I were them, I would not like to assosiate myself with a new unproven payment system. People make very rush conclusions and those who didn't get their money back in case of seller fraud from Google, could just blame eBay.

I welcome competition and expect Google's entry into payments to improve PayPal. I think PayPal will introduce a genereous reward program so we all are going to benefit in the end.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Scott, if every merchant banned Google because they were unproven, they'd never get a chance to prove themselves. The fact is, it is a large company with quality products, and you can be sure they had security in mind. That doesn't mean it will be 100% foolproof, because nothing ever is.

Google has been handling payments for some time now with their other services, so this is just a new application of that.

Also, that blog post was interesting, but only covers transferring money from A to B. If I recall correctly, Paypal provides personal account services as well.

The point we do agree on is that the increased competition will benefit the consumer in the long-run.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"The point we do agree on is that the increased competition will benefit the consumer in the long-run"

Hear hear!!!

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

People (and by that I mean me) will shop for the cheapest deal. Google's not a small player in any arena it enters. Paypal decision to ban Google might come back to bite them if they don't lower their own rates.

Randhir Reddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This clearly shows how scared Ebay is. They've given free publicity doing this ban. Ebay will have no other choice to improve their service and UI, which really needs a complete overhaul.
Compeition is really good for ebay users.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ok this gets more exciting...with all the Ebay Exectuive realignments..

"PayPal President Jeff Jordan will be replaced by eBay’s former CFO" --and then the report tells me who is going to take Rajiv place etc etc.. but where is Jeff Jordon going to be placed now – He's out of a chair correct ??

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-07-06T140517Z_01_N06376273_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-RETAIL-EBAY-SHAKEUP-DC.XML

Bob C. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Check out this article explaining how Google's credibility may be going down because of "prematurely releasing practically all other software with the it's-beta-so-be-careful stamp and then releasing a service with *gasp* no beta, only to be the service that could potentially provide some revenue diversification that Wall Street so desperately wants..."

http://www.computers.net/2006/07/ebay_revises_re.html

Digi Pro [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

ebay sucks. They put all the accountability and responsibility on their customers (buyers and sellers) but when there is a glaring problem that points to ebay, they will do what is necessary to squelch the guy on the milk carton telling people how it really is. Want a story?

The eBay community is supposed to report listing violations, something ebay should be doing themselves in the first place. I sell on ebay and have to report sellers that are making the categories i sell in very cr[put at-character here]ppy. i.e. I report the listings that contain Misleading titles, overcharging shipping, etc. As you all know, eBay does not police their own site. They "rely" on the ebay community to police itself. Their official reason they make their reps tell us? "We do not have the resources to check every listing out there. We would have to hire alot of people just to check listings everyday if we were to do that." Gee whiz, they bought Skype for 2 Billion US last time I checked. Anyways – So what do they do to people that report these listings? They strip me of my Titanium Powerseller status and suspend my account. Can you believe that? Trust me, I'm not bending the truth here or omitting some shadey things. That's the whole story, cut and dry. Moral of the story? You cause ebay pain or more work? They'll get you back and do whatever is necessary to SHUT YOU UP!

There's my story...stay away from eBay.

Mike Walghren [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Forget ebay with those auction type formats and fees. It always amazed me that people go to ebay since in real life they almost never attend auctions. But we do attend clearance racks and that is exactly what drop.com is. Its a clearance rack where you can buy and sell stuff – and its FREE! The listing prices on the site drop sometimes every second – hence the name – drop.com. Since its free, what do you have to loose? :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!