Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Continuous Zoom  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 11, 2006
17 years ago6,439 views

Previous discussion...
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/44437.html

Michael Schaap [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

And mouse wheel scrolling, that's new too!

My only annoyance left with Google Maps, is that stupid "Example Searches" on the left hand, taking up valuable screen space. There's no way to get rid of that, is there?

– Michael

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Michael: I think only when you search for something really general such as "new york". Then the map is full-wide.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Also, the new 'orange tabs' below the map search box the lets you select 'Search the Map' – 'Find business' – 'Get directions' that has been visible on the German and French Google Maps is now visible on Google.com and Google.co.uk

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is terrible. The scrool/zoom is not needed. That's what makes MSN Earth suck. At least Google Maps it takes a little more effort..

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Continues zooming works only under Windows, while in Microsoft's version (live.com) it works also under Linux and Mac. Isn't that strange?

mcummins [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Annoyingly, they seem to have compartmentalized their yellow pages info.

Try searching for "pizza in london" on
maps.google.com and maps.google.co.uk

Previously this returned the same result on both, but now it only returns results on maps.google.co.uk

I wonder if this is an intentional change? It seems like a bad idea.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Michael I agree with you completely. The sidebar thing that pops up every so often (ie. after certain searches) should really have a close button on in. I value screen space.

As for the enhancements today I am not too sure I rate them. But I am on a mac so I am not sure I am seeing it as it should be.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Annoyingly, they seem to have compartmentalized
> their yellow pages info.

[pizza in stuttgart, germany] works here on maps.google.com...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I also agree that the sidebar should be made collapsible. It's very annoying not being able to use the whole space.

James [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=perth&ie=UTF8&om=1 in my linkbar – it goes to my home town and it gets rid of the sidebar.

The continuous zooming doesn't work in Mozilla Suite – are they browser sniffing to turn it on?

Finally, they've updated the imagery, but in a bad way. Before, you could tell which areas had high-resolution imagery at low levels of zoom. But now low levels all use the same basic low-resolution image, which does the world view a more consistent color – eg massachusetts has aerial imagery from winter, so it used to appear grey. This makes it really hard to find interesting areas to look at, and means I'll probably go back to using google earth, hopefully they haven't broken it in the same way.

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

You can now also use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Since this is now default on maps.google.com, does that mean, that I "should" update all my mashups to offer this too? To offer my users a known feeling?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Might depend on how technical your users are...plus many people still don't use Google maps. But it's a simple enough change that I would do it.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have tried calculating a route in Google Map for the first time since the upgrade. It will give me directions when I ask for them, but does not draw the route on the map like it used to. Anyone else see this?

It also see the Get Directions dialog is now overlayed on the map itself. Is that new? Depending on what is behind it, the dialog box can be a little hard to read.

Tony

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony, route is drawed at my maps version, also Get Directions dialog is not overlayed on my map. But maybe you mean something different. Do you have some screenshot?

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In my hometown, it just loads tile by tile.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Here's what I saw:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/ctb123/GoogleMapScreenprint.jpg

That was on my Windows Vista machine running Vista IE7 beta. Now I have tried it at home on both Firefox and IE7 Beta 3, and everything looks the way it should. I get the route drawn on the map and the Address Box has a solid box behind it, making it much easier to read. Might be a rendering problem with the Vista IE7 Beta.

Tony

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It'll be IE7 indeed. Use FF!!! ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!