Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Need Inspiration for a Domain Name?  (View post)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 24, 2006
18 years ago6,287 views

Gaxed.com > pretty good!!! :-)
Good Job ;)

Ryan Govostes [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hmm, "rooster.com" does sound good!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If you have to come up with such a random word, your idea can't be very good.

Actually, I'm probably wrong there.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

:)

Usually, the domain name you *want* for your idea is already taken... so we need to resort to fictional names. It's not the best choice, that's right... sometimes everything else is taken tho. For example, for my feeeds.com, obviously feeds.com would've been cooler. In fact, this blog would be on blog.court.com if back then my favorite domain name would've been available :)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

At least "feeds.com" actually makes sense – you can predict what its going to be about. Domain names still play a big part in SEO, even though people dont think so.

What do you get when you search for DIY? diy.com, obviously. B&Q.

18 years ago #

I suppose many people link to diy.com using the link text "diy.com", which gives it a boost in Google's rankings... but still, the question is not whether you want to have a sweet & short domain name (we all do!) but whether you can find a domain name that's still free. So feeeds.com with 3 "e" was still free :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mambo wrote: "Domain names still play a big part in SEO"

Domain names play a big part in AdSense too!

When a group of Google Answers Researchers started up the web-owls blog
http://web-owls.com/
we didn't realise we were letting ourselves in for lots of pages containing ads for owl pellets and bone charts.

Sometimes, a made-up name is best, so that the content of the website rather than its URL will determine which ads are shown.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hey geeks ,
   had anyone tried the name "co"
i mean there are many domains like .in .nl .uk .fr .us .nr etc

but if you find the rarest two digit domain ending and register a domain name

called co.xx where xx is the two digit domain name then i think you can be rich..

you can give free url names like the co.nr doing you can do your own co.xx

so if any new two digit domain appears be first to register the name "co"

so you can do biz with that.........

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What's up with single letter domain names? i.e. x.com => paypal.com, but none of the rest of them seem to be registered...

18 years ago #

At least in Germany you can't register 1 or 2 digits .de domains anymore (http://www.ix.de is one of the early exceptions, but it's not possibel anymore).

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

db.de :)

same in Switzerland, except for goverment, like ch.ch, zh.ch and so on.

caleb: all single letters are away – by the icann or other institute. but yahoo! registred the trademakr y.com and they hope to get the domain one day.

18 years ago #

What I wouldn't give for a domain name like gb.com...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Same in the UK – you can't register two letter *.uk domains and the SLDs are tightly controlled: http://www.nic.uk/registrants/sld/

More here: http://www.nic.uk/registrants/legal/rules/

<< 5.6 For the SLDs co.uk, me.uk, org.uk, and net.uk, a Third Level Domain may not consist of only two letters. ... For the avoidance of doubt Third Level Domains containing a letter and a number or two numbers are permitted thus 2a.co.uk, a2.co.uk, or 22.co.uk are acceptable.

5.8 For the SLDs co.uk, me.uk, org.uk, and net.uk, a Third Level Domain may not be identical to any existing SLD (as listed in Appendices A, B and C to the Rules), or any SLD under .uk the creation of which has formally been announced by Nominet. For example, an application to register org.co.uk or nhs.co.uk would be rejected.

5.9 For the SLDs co.uk, me.uk, org.uk, and net.uk a Third Level Domain may not be identical to an existing TLD or any TLD the formal approval of which has been announced by ICANN (or any replacement body which controls the creation of new TLDs). For example, an application to register uk.co.uk. eu.org.uk or com.co.uk would be rejected. >>

BTW Philipp – just in case you didn't know – you can register *.gb.com domains here: http://www.centralnic.com/domains (Not quite the same as having the TLD though.) You get a lot of smaller UK companies with *.uk.com and *.gb.com domain names if the *.com or *.co.uk domains aren't available.

18 years ago #

Hmmm... is gb.com something official for Great Britain? I didn't know, I was actually thinking of GB as in "Google Blogoscoped"...

blog.gb.com looks like the domain owner might sell. :)

18 years ago #

<< I was actually thinking of GB as in "Google Blogoscoped"... >>

I gathered... ;-)

I'm not sure how official it is. It's owned and operated by CentralNIC. Since it's not a ccTLD, I don't think it's as official as .co.uk (for the UK, at least) but it does seem to be officially acknowledged by ICANN:

<< In the early days of the UK Internet, NomiNation, the first private Internet Registry Company, was launched to handle the domain name uk.com.

The idea came about as a direct result of conversations between the late Jon Postel ("Father of the Internet") and Stephen Dyer (Chairman of NomiNation) in 1995. Jon suggested the use of uk.com to compete with co.uk at a time when the proposed price of the co.uk name was £200 (about $300 US).

Subsequently, with the launch of the uk.com domain name, co.uk was offered at £80 and Nominet UK, the co.uk registry, did not hold a monopoly position. The two domain names continue to function in harmony, and the addition of uk.net, gb.net and gb.com provides the UK Internet community with the widest choice of local domain names. >>

From: http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/organic/ii.html

18 years ago #

>> blog.gb.com looks like the domain owner might sell. :)

And blog.gb.net is available.

18 years ago #

is blogoscoped.com available ?

Philip what do you think of all our forum members staring a network...... like from my view, each and every poster has atleast a blog or website in which they might place our network badge..

Google Blogoscope Network.......

18 years ago #

> is blogoscoped.com available ?

Nope, that one is taken by what seems to be a "domain merchant". I can't reach it right now but I've been there, it was kind of a help forum for domain name auctions, and it was registered well after Google Blogoscoped came to be.

You remind me that there's no button for this blog...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I know hyphens and abbreviations are second-best, but goo-blog.com is available.

18 years ago #

I actually had the chance to register blogoscoped.com, but I don't want to move... because of the hassles it creates for everyone else in terms of updating bookmarks and so on. It would've been better to move in say 2004 than in 2006, as more tools access the site... and I'm sure not all understand permanent redirects even if I'd implement them.

18 years ago #

yes ........ Buttons for blog that sounds nice you see.

18 years ago #

There you go – the button is now on the About page:

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-blogoscoped-button.png

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!