Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Picasa Lists "Unlisted" Albums  (View post)

bernis [PersonRank 2]

Saturday, August 5, 2006
17 years ago10,971 views

if i upload an album and choose it to be unlisted (so that regular user who comes to page picasaweb.google.com/myname can't see it) and send you a link to it ... you're supposed to see it .. and it's supposed to show in your recently viewed albums .. i think it's intended and proper behavior. Unlisted here means unlisted at person's picasaweb homepage

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Bernis has the point...
I think Google can do more than just letting users "unlisted" their albums. Maybe an option only allowing a specific Google account users to view the photos, where we can choose from our Gmail contact list.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Or simply password protection...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> i think it's intended and proper behavior

Check the post update. I just found a dozen unlisted albums named "private" from complete stranger. Just as proof of concept.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

wow i think they just add something with authorization key or smth ..
i tried http://picasaweb.google.com/philipp.lenssen/private
and it redirected me to http://picasaweb.google.com/philipp.lenssen/Private?authkey=v2mAnxmrcRMWUWfCYIpYAPw89qU .. was it always like that?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Unlisted" means it should not be available for public consumption, in any mode.

If the user's, intention is to share a private album then it can be done via an invite process-like how Calendar is shared , and yes then it *MAY* "show in your recently viewed albums".

17 years ago #

That's new – they tell you to update your bookmarks – but I still ponder the point of the authkey. Because you don't need it to access a private album... it will be automatically redirected. It might be they're in a transitionary phase and they're planning to make the authkey mandatory in the future. That would be a start. Right now a search for [site:picasaweb.google.com inurl:authkey] is almost an *easier* way to find "unlisted" albums.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

philipp it's not redirecting anymore .. i'll think they'll add the option to the user to change it or smth..

17 years ago #

It's still redirecting here... when I go to another browser and clean all cookies, and enter

picasaweb.google.com/
   philipp.lenssen/
   Private

I'm being redirected to the authkey version:

picasaweb.google.com/
   philipp.lenssen/
   Private?authkey=v2mAnxmrcRMWUWfCYIpYAPw89qU

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Google read this :)

Ed Brey [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The redirect is probably part of a grace period for updating bookmarks. Lots of users have emails or bookmarks sitting around with URLs that don't include the authkey. Google wants these links to still work during a time of transition. At some point, Google will disable the redirection, which is why they provide a banner telling you to note the new URL.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if i search [larry site:picasaweb.google.com] i also found a hidden (but empty) album...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!