Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps for Your Domain

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 28, 2006
17 years ago9,153 views

https://www.google.com/a/
Like Gmail for your domain, this service include GTalk, GCal, Gmail, and GPage, free during beta period, for organizations only.
read more on CNET
http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6109823.html

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just found out that Gmail for Your Domain swith to Google Apps for Your Domain, which means if you have Gmail for Your Domain, you have Google Apps for Your Domain.
If anyone like to check it out, I have 25 accounts available.(Used to have 10) ;)

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's pretty neat. I don't have access to my site right now.

That's weird, the title/alt text on the gmail/talk/cal/pages display as checkout/adsense/analytics/search for your website ..

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

lol, that's a big easter egg you found. ;)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Launches Hosted Communications Services; New Google Apps for Your Domain Available Now for Easy Email, Calendaring, and More

Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) today announced the launch of Google Apps for Your Domain (http://www.google.com/a), a set of hosted applications for organizations that want to provide high quality communications tools to their users without the hassle of installing and maintaining software or hardware.

In addition to customizing the user interface with their own branding and color scheme, organizations can tailor the service to their needs by mixing and matching the email, messaging, calendaring and other tools offered through Google Apps for Your Domain. Over time, Google will offer versions of Google Apps for Your Domain that are oriented toward the needs of a variety of organizations, from family websites and community groups to non-profits and small businesses, as well as universities, large enterprises, and ISPs.

Google Apps for Your Domain, an expansion of the Gmail for Your Domain service that launched in February 2006, currently includes Gmail web email, the Google Talk instant messaging and voice calling service, collaborative calendaring through Google Calendar, and web page design, publishing and hosting via Google Page Creator. Domain administrators use a simple web-based control panel to manage their user account list, set up aliases and distribution lists, and enable the services they want for their domain. End users with accounts that have been set up by their administrator simply browse to customized login pages on any web-connected computer. The service scales easily to accommodate growing user bases and storage needs while drastically reducing maintenance costs.

Google will provide organizations with two choices of service.

-- A standard edition of Google Apps for Your Domain is available today as a beta product without cost to domain administrators or end users. Key features include 2 gigabytes of email storage for each user, easy to use customization tools, and help for administrators via email or an online help center. Furthermore, organizations that sign up during the beta period will not ever have to pay for users accepted during that period (provided Google continues to offer the service).

-- A premium version of the product is being developed for organizations with more advanced needs. More information, including details on pricing, will be available soon.

"Organizations of all sizes face a common challenge of helping their users communicate and share information more effectively," said Dave Girouard, vice president and general manager, enterprise, at Google. "A hosted service like Google Apps for Your Domain eliminates many of the expenses and hassles of maintaining a communications infrastructure, which is welcome relief for many small business owners and IT staffers. Organizations can let Google be the experts in delivering high quality email, messaging, and other web-based services while they focus on the needs of their users and their day-to-day business."

As a hosted service, Google Apps for Your Domain is available worldwide, though the control panel for domain administrators is currently available only in US-English. Google is currently working to make the service available to administrators in additional languages. (Individual products offered through the Google Apps for Your Domain service, such as Gmail and Google Talk, are already available in a variety of languages for end users.) Domain administrators and IT managers can visit www.google.com/a to learn more and to register for the product.

XUjie [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I Have 1000 accounts ,hahaha

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Serious? That's a lot. I only have 50 :(Plus 20 I think on another domain.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So, in fact, absolutely nothing more than Gmail Hosted...

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It would be slick if it all was on your domain; no logging into google.com

like mail.example.com , etc i'm tired but you know.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It seems not all options are already available to everyone. I can read about it in the help pages but I can not add the new services to my dashboard... (or I must be doing something wrong...)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]SCJM: You could just redirect from mail.example.com to mail.google.com/a/example.com

[put at-character here]TOMHTML: For the most part, yes. But they did add the page creator part, probably launched a new advertising campaign, and shortened the URL (google.com/a/example.com from google.com/hosted/example.com).

I'd use them if they supported raw coding better (as opposed to page creator, I assume the AfyD way works just like google pages) PHP, and some sort of database bit. As it stands, I can't just start making page creater pages to replace my existing pages. Maybe they should start having a pay for version with more advanced stuff.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Okay,
   Previously I had 25 accounts, but I don't see it having a limit listed anywhere anymore! Am I once again blind, or did they remove it?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmm why do I see the old interface?

17 years ago #

I'm blind! I found it.

Another question that I have, why can I not create my web page before I change the CNAME. Does this mean my site HAS to have down time?

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am thinking of creating a single signup-page for multiple domains. So we all throw in our google hosted domains.

Currently you can mail to admin[put at-character here]xurble.com if you want a @xurble.com account.

17 years ago #

now, I really would like to see Google release an API for adding/updating/deleting users from your account! I'm in an industry where software manages the people. If you set an employee to resigned for example, it needs to automatically shut down their E-mail account. You can not have 25 different things that you have to do when an employee leaves your organization when you are to the size that churn is a daily occurrence.

gary price [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if you're interested in comparing Google's new service with what MS has been offering for several months, I have a brief post about that here in the Microsoft section.
http://www.resourceshelf.com/2006/08/28/search-briefs-expansion-google-apps-for-your-domain/

One feature they're offering during the beta period for free and will remain free after the beta ends is free registration of a web domain. You choose any domain, assuming it's available.

The fee-based service (Free during the beta) offers access to more than 20 apps.

Mikal [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I wish they released an HR product too. Then I would have everything i need for my business and it's all free!

Scott [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I wish I could transfer my old gmail mail to my Google Apps acct...

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

One thing I noticed on the offical release that I think everyone has overlooked is this

<quote>
Things have come a long way in the last six months, and we're still working on the service. If you're from a larger business or university with more advanced needs for communications and sharing, please get in touch regarding premium versions of the service, due out later this year.
</quote>

A premium service due out later this year? I wonder what this will include? I wonder how far along the apps service is that they can even offer a "premium" service? (I'm guessing the service is including tech support)

Link:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/get-your-people-talking.html

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]NateDawq: premium is about SLA's indeed. C.f. http://blogoscoped.com/forum/65285.html

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]GARY: MS features not available for international users though...

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Your right Art-One :)-

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Strange things are happening...

Yesterday on my Google Apps Dashboard pages there was an item:
Pages (Testing): enter prefix ... [TEST] (if I remember well, I should have taken a screenshot...)

Today I have the good old dashboard back. Still not possible to choose extra services....

Anybody has the same experiences?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe you can try this link, https://www.google.com/a/domain-name-here.com/SelectServices.
Enter prefix? I think they asked you to enter a subdomain name.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Haochi: thx for the tip but no, automatically rerouted to the old dashboard.

On the Google Groups for Apps there is a discussion going on on this. It seems the new services are only available at the moment for a limited set of hosted domains.

* Based on language settings: US English only (mine is set like this as I knew from before that this could be important)
* Base on top domain: probably only for .com & .net? Mine is .be ... (Can't change that :c).

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

For the Google Apps for Education. It is all nice, but why isnt their a mega update of Google Notebook. If they included that they students could house all their notes online, as well as using Google Scholar and Book Search. Actually, why dont they release this so students could use it on Google's server.

All Google have done for Education here is put the apps on Schools' servers, but its all freely avaliable anyway.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I cannot get into my Google Apps account. The link re-directs to google.com.

Anyone else having an issue with Google Apps?

Eugen [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I also have this issue – redirect back to google.com .. Has google decided to go to revenue based business model ? :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!