Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Wish List  (View post)

Lorenzo [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, December 14, 2006
17 years ago5,815 views

Right! Google Bookmarks is a good service, but poor of functionalities!

Ken Wong [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Get out of China?

No way. They have big plans here. Soon.

Rick Taylor [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Amen to all!

javabeta [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Why you suggest that google should get out of China??
That's holly BS

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah seriously. Leave Google alone, let them do their thing in China. It doesn't hurt you any if Google stays in China. Sheesh.

Michael Schaap [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

> Include more important services in the “more...” function of the Google homepage

Or rather, make the list – also the ones showing up as main entries to the left of the "more..." – configurable.
(I want group search and blog search there, rather than Video, for instance.)

– Michael

Anon [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

The points you list are numbered differently than the original list at pandia. This was annonying because Matt Cutts commented on some of them referring to the number and I got confused when I looked at your points.

Jonny Thompson [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Couldn't agree more with Michael Schaap on the "more..." function. I would love to have the ability to customize it to options that are more useful for myself. This seems like a no-brainer.

kmike [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

11. Give us real numbers for the the "site" operator

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Um...Blogger kind of works now. The new Beta one anyway. It hasn't had half the outages and downtime of regular Blogger, and it already does 90% of everything old, crashy Blogger does. Overall it seems to be a gigantic step in the right direction. Needed Interface and feature updates can come after the new platform is the default. For example: they could just bring over the "Edit Labels" feature from GMail...and do this for all their other services that use Labels or tagging too (like Reader and Google Video/YouTube).

Can we also get...real filters and rules for gmail?

I'd like persistent contact management across all Google services. I mean, wouldn't it be neat if all your Gmail contacts were also available in Maps/Earth, Blogger, D & S, Froogle/Base, Orkut, GV/YouTube and Niniane Wong's secret social project? Of course, we'd also have to get better default fields in the GMail contacts.

Can we also get more integration of Google services (Google Talk and Picasa Hello should not STILL be different programs)?

Thanks GOOG.

--JM

joe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

yeah, i agree with Michael Schaap – make the "more" menu configurable.

Also, make the list in the upper left side of Gmail configurable, and reconfigure it, making it easier to go between and share data between google services.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i agree with J. McNair about "contact management", its a very weak feature in Gmail and i would love to be able to add more than just a simple picture.

also a better bookmarking system.

Pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] joe
[put at-character here]mike

the more menu seems to be configurable... i'm not sure whats going on but it sometimes included scholar link and other times it doesn't. I know its not totally user configurable but there seems to be some "thinking" from google's end.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks to Pandia for putting China on their Google wish list!

Perhaps it may not hurt "any of us" if Google does "their thing" in China, but just what is "their thing" in China?

Censorship.

Doesn't that hurt the Chinese? Some try to justify it and say "well, the Chinese don't care about freedom, they only care about playing computer games and earning money to buy consumer goods. This may not ease the pain of those in the Lao Gai (concentration camps) who paid a great price for caring about freedom, the political and religious prisoners whose organs are harvested on demand to benefit wealthy foreigners, the heroic Tiananmen protestors, or even those Yahoo turned in for arrest.

After the Nazis were defeated, the world pledged "never again".

Yet today, thousands of western companies gladly do business in China and even worse dictatorships. For most, they are "just" escaping environmental, labor, wage, health and other laws and standards in their own countries. Cheap labor, no questions asked, and plenty of security to keep out reporters from free countries.

Example: report on conditions at the Ipod factory--which may be one of the better factories!
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060612-7039.html

But other companies take greater and greater steps over the line. From "simply" running sweat shops to actively assisting the regime to crush free speech and any hope of political and religious freedom.

We know of course that Cisco supplies hardware for China's giant censorship "Great Firewall".
http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconversation/2005/07/my_conversation.html and
http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconversation/2005/06/more_on_cisco_i.html

Sun, Microsoft and many others also play a role. Google tries to do less evil by "only" censoring (not turning in people for arrest), and by maintaining the little disclaimer that 'some content has been removed'. But it was Google employees who actively censored the internet to please the dictators.

They did "their thing".

An even greater step over the line was Visionics Corp's sale of face recognition camera/software systems to China. This is not just for routine security, but gives the dictators an Orwellian control of their people unlike anything seen outside of a bad science fiction/horror movie: Set up in Tiananmen Square and elsewhere, it can identify protestors for easy arrest and slaughter.

After the famous demonstrations for freedom, the Chinese secret police studied photos of the protestors in western media and attempted to match up photos of their citizens, and arrested many. No longer does Beijing need to rely on such difficult means of finding those who dare speak up--Visionics' equipment can do the work for them, instantly matching up the camera images to the huge database of identification photos, and police can just wait for protestors to arrive at their homes. Big Brother IS watching!
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b7216891479.htm

These actions are little different from IBM's supplying, programming and repairing punch card 'Hollerith' tabulators to run the concentration camps and to use in rounding up Jewish citizens. Yes, they also used the IBM machines to make the trains run on time--to Auschwitz.
http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/articles/auschwitz.html

So let's resolve again: "never again". Even a little evil is evil. A little blood money is still blood money. Yes, that means Google and all other companies should leave China. Don't help run a dictatorship!

How is it ever acceptable for any company to cash in by helping enslave others? How is it acceptable for any company to apparently decide there are two types of humans: those lucky enough to live in free countries who who will get uncensored searches; and those unfortunate enough to live in dictatorships who, trapped in part by western technology, will never be allowed to know the truth and become free? Why are the Chinese people fair game to censor, but when the U.S. government wants search results Google resists? Isn't freedom for every human? Aren't we all equal?

Why must we doom the Chinese people to: "fight not only the PLA (China's army), but Cisco and Motorola, Microsoft and Intel"?
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/5-6-26/29813.html

Something we should think about this Christmas.

Thanks again Pandia!

george [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

you have a point there,but it said that one mans food is another poison.lets hope and pray for the chiness ,it will take god through the holy spirit to save them.

HUMAN RIGHTS in China [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Get out of China?

No way. HUMAN RIGHTS. Soon.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If Matt is sending you this list, it must come true & it'll be a wonderfull G-Xmas this year!!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!