Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Mail Fetcher Screenshots  (View post)

Bas [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, December 28, 2006
17 years ago5,625 views

Does anybody know why the Gmail address is included in the mail headers?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony & Ionut, so lucky... :'-(

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It must be a standard. Windows Live Mail does the same.

It could be a problem with signing mails for authenticity (DomainKeys).

<< Even though you're using a different email address to send messages through your Gmail account, Gmail still 'signs,' or validates the messages. This way, other email services will know your message headers are not forged. >>

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony is the lucky one.

It's strange: I tried this feature with 2 POP accounts. Gmail loaded the messages from the first one (about 100 msgs, 1MB) in less than 2 minutes. For the second one (500 msgs, 10MB) it takes hours.

Googlaxy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I already have this feature in one Gmail account. But does anyone have it in Google Apps accounts?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I havent got the feature at all – not in any Gmail accounts or in Google Apps.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just doing a bit of searching around and saw that this was spotted over a year ago in the Gmail FAQ:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/13976.html

(And yet they've still not fully released it!)

Cedric [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Is their work on this another explanation why they did not solve another issue? Gmail messages labelled as spams seem not to be automatically destroyed anymore: I still have spam dated Oct. 23 in my box

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Guys, I have it too!!!!!!!!!!!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have this feature for a while. Well, it's time to merge with my Yahoo's Flickr account with Gmail. :)

[Anonymous] [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

This is simply a tragedy since I have a edu account and want to sent job hunt emails. I am really depressed since I didn't knew about it and was gladly sending them from gmail :(

Come on Google. remove the "on behalf of".

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Covered here as well:
"Screenshots of elusive Gmail feature"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=431

Amir Herzberg [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The `on behalf of` is due to Outlook (and others) use of MS's `CallerID` technique, originally motivated as an anti-spam mechanism, and a variant of SPF (I said a variant – not the same!!!). I don't think it is fair to blame Google for MS's doings. And yes, I think there are some big problems with CallerID, this being a small example.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Amir, AFAIK the only reason "on behalf of" shows in MS Outlook is because Google sets the "Sender:" field in the email header to the gmail.com address being used. Since this isn't a required header, they *could* remove this if they wanted and the emails would then appear to be from the intended email address in Outlook and most (if not all) other mail clients.

Maybe Google are playing things by the book a bit too strictly... after all, almost anyone can spoof the "From:" field using most email clients anyway (depending on their ISP's SMTP settings).

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I GOT GMAIL MAIL FETCHER NOWWW!!

youuhhhouuuuuuuu

thanks a lot Google ;)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey tom... is there anything you did in particular or the feature just popped out like a Christmas gift?

"ooo... when will my lucky day come?"

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And I remain
behind the game
my email accounts
must do without
the fetcher so elegant, so useful and cool
is simply another inaccessible tool

Why am I always the last person to get these rolled out features?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Inferno > I do nothing, I check if it was here 5 hours before and it wasn't...
:-D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!