Google Blogoscoped

Forum

SpaceTime 3D Browser  (View post)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 7, 2007
17 years ago4,572 views

I first read about this browser earlier in the week from another blog. I still don't know what I think of 3D browsers right now. They would have to be as fast as my current browser and not take too much time to switch from one tab or 3D item to the next item.

Does anyone know what rendering engine it uses as a browser?

Eddie Bakhash [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Thanks for covering SpaceTime which is available at http://www.spacetime.com

I just wanted to point out that SpaceTime is a little different than Windows Vista. Vista only shows you windows on the task bar, presented for a brief-second in 3D, allowing you to use 3D as a way to switch among windows with the help of a 3D rolodex like view.

SpaceTime creates an unlimitted fully imersive space where you can keep streaming information into it from web services like Google Images, Google Search, Yahoo! Images, Yahoo! Search, eBay and Flickr (more coming soon, I promise).

Regarding memory. SpaceTime has a nifty memory management feature that shows you as many items as it can. When it nears the end of available memory, it unloads items and restores them for you just when you need them; thereby culling memory and restoring it. So SpaceTime takes advantage of using memory that isn't being used.

The real browsing value of SpaceTime is that (1) it eliminates the need to click back and forth between a list and the search results you want, (2) it offers the immedate visualization of information, (3) it eliminates dormant computing time as it loads items in bulk and (4) it allows your information to converge in one space; thereby creating a visual history of your computer experience.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

exe oder xpi?

OnClick="InstallXPI();

(i've installed the xpi, but running in a own window.)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

and its the ie engine.

(if you are not zoomed in, you are not able to type in forms...)

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The real killer is the minimum CPU requirement. Can that be lower (2.0) if the RAM is 2 GB and the video card 512 MB?

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

*2.0 Core Duo

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks like a feature of Picasa.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its kinda cool. Pity about the memory though.

Mischa [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice idea. But am I the only one who thinks it looks very crappy. I know this is personal but I dont like the design of the whole thing. Drop down boxes look very odd, the sky background looks ugly and the worst: It is not user friendly. The content of the searches does not load dynamically, that's why you have to click on "Next 10" when at the end of a search.

Overall I don't like it and I don't think that the 3D-effect adds a value to it.

shaun Taylor [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

love it ......... U have to try it to be able to appreciate how much time you save over a 2D search. Great stuff

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!