Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Embedding Google Maps  (View post)

callum prentice [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007
16 years ago15,053 views

Google now provides a way for you to embed maps in your Web page directly without needed to sign up for an API. Now, if you click on "Link to this page" there is a new field that contains the necessary IFRAME snippet.

Doesn't allow you to embed Street Views yet though.

On the (astonishly remote) chance Philipp allows IFRAMEs to be embedded in posts, here is the code for a map:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+francisco,+ca&ie=UTF8&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1&ll=37.904116,-122.353363&output=embed&s=AARTsJoFuLnOA3Amdsec3Zsua8M69EN2tQ"></iframe><br/><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+francisco,+ca&ie=UTF8&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1&ll=37.904116,-122.353363&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left;font-size:small">View Larger Map</a>

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Michael Still [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You missed Canberra, which is the national capital. It would be a very short stopoff between Melbourne and Sydney.

Mikal

Sour Grapes [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"Until today you needed to apply for an API key and put together a map using JavaScript to display a Google Map on your web site (or blog post)."

Not as such. I put just exactly such a map on the page at www.brusselschoralsociety.com/join.html using www.takitwithme.com. One or two steps more than doing it straight from Google Maps, but perfectly acceptable result. Interactive, pans and zooms, switch to sat/hybrid view etc. And it exports to GPS.

So while it's good that Google are getting around to it, it's not like they're doing anything innovative.

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

Testing it, a curious var in embedded code
s=AARTsJoFuLnOA3Amdsec3Zsua8M69EN2tQ

What's this?

Var s is automatically generated when we click on link to this page throught url http://maps.google.com/maps/sign

This is a problem for forum system like this, you can't embed a map knowing his url like youtube. Relatively poor integration, I hoped more from Google

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Sour Grapes – I agree... it's nothing innovative. But it's incredibly nice to have this directly from Google.

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This only works with "static" maps – i.e. if you have dynamic generation of a map (with push pins), you would need to generate that map, get the "link" for it, and then embed in your HTML – right?

FofR [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

I've been trying to work out a way to put this feature onto my forums but alas, as pooin said, it doesn't seem to be possible because of that security variable.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Damned, I made links in my baloons in Google Maps, now when I click on it they open.... in the iframe! Rrrrrr
http://www.zorgloob.com/2007/08/intgrez-facilement-vos-cartes-google.asp (last map of the article...)

Good idea anyway.

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

bad work, i think

Joe [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

they need to do something clever with the balloon handling. It's no good when the iFrame is only 300px tall, then you click a pushpin and it opens up a balloon that's 600px tall and sends the map screaming northward and forces you to scroll down the map to read the balloon. Then when you want to close the balloon, you have to scroll back up, close it, then you're still looking at the map way North of where you want to be..... (yes, i know you can just click elsewhere in the map to hide the balloon, but I consider that "hidden functionality", since it's not immediately obvious and they do provide a Close button on each balloon")

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Joe
you're right
i think simple css like overflow can fix this

Callum Prentice [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

http://streetviewr.com/embed/

Allows you to embed Google Street Views in a similar way to how Google allows you to embed maps.

I was going to polish this up a bit and make it easier to set the iframe size for example but I guess today is a good day to release this.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Good work, Callum. Maybe Google should make an API like that (apply for Google!)

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I am getting a common message that I haven't found the answer to.
This is what shows up on my website when i try to load my new map:

Google Error

Forbidden

Your client does not have permission to get URL /maps/ms?
om=1&s=AARTsJo8C0mHhqoXU3_kgoFFHHR8pD4w1A&
ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=41.72623,-84.034424&spn=2.049844,3.295898&
z=8&output=embed
from this server. (Client IP address: 72.241.1.174)

Here is the URL:

http://www.hawaiianpoolbuilders.com/swimming-pool-directory.html

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jaan

[Line breaks added to fix layout – Tony]

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

OK I got my map working, but when I try to add the target blank attribute it opens in the same map window. Any way around this?

jintao [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hi Jaan,

I saw your map posts in several places and see now that you've got it working. How'd you do it? I'm still getting the "forbidden" error.

Thanks,

jintao

Markus [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Is ther no helppage from google? I'm getting this error as well :(

jintao [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I've found this error on many forums, but no one seems to post the solution. I haven't found any google help pages either. Jaan said he fixed it, I wonder if he had to do a work-around.

greeneyedbecca [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

HI did anyone find an answer to why one gets the "forbidden" error I just put up over 80 locations...sigh that were working lovely! And now I get forbidden...any thought as I can't seem to find an answer to this issue! :)
Thanks

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!