Google Blogoscoped

Forum

First Look at gOS  (View post)

mak [PersonRank 5]

Friday, November 9, 2007
16 years ago5,311 views

That sounds promising!
Yet, I can't see where's the innovation in this. It's actually a matter of bundling and creating more convenient type of shortcuts (than the ones we can do on normal PCs).

Am i making sense?

Alexis Brion [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

If they do it simple to use this could good enough for a lot of people. I would love to see it working soon!

sctronlniux [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

gOS is not Google OS. It's Ubuntu of the SUSE style.

Meoip [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This PC is 6 months ahead of its time. The should have held off until Prism (webrunner) was more compatible. I use webrunner on windows now and like it, if the Gos used this it would be just like what I do on windows (except cheaper). That being said a few things aren't yet good to go with webrunner (footprint, lack of integrated spell check). They also need to work out easily moving docs from the HD to the WWW before this becomes viable.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> gOS is not Google OS.

It's obviously not an official Google OS, but it's (Google) webapps-centric. Here is what gOS founder himself said about its origins:

"I got interested in Google applications, especially docs and spreadsheets, presentations; and originally, I wanted to create my idea of what a Google OS would look like.. if there were such a mythical OS. As I started looking around at all the Google applications out there, I realized that all of our “computing” could eventually be done in the Google cloud. We just needed an OS that looked really good and pointed people to Google in a really friendly, intelligent way. After seeing this, I got excited because I saw it was also commercially viable for the mainstream end user…"

16 years ago #

(source: http://www.fsckin.com/2007/11/03/interview-with-gos-founder-linux-for-human-beings-who-shop-at-walmart/)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Did you know that "gOS" means "green OS" ? ;-)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

yes.

Rolf [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Sigh, another Linux fork. Linux will never, ever become the big shiney desktop OS for the average Joe who has trouble finding the 'on' switch (of his TV). They keep forking. Killing some forks and focussing on a single version would be much better.

Users not being able to create a desktop shortcut in Ubuntu shows it: It's just not there yet. Linux will become a success if:

1. I can do everything I'll ever need without knowing the existance of the terminal window, seeing monospaced scrolling technical text I can't read.
This includes installing a printer without hearing the word "driver", sharing it on the network and connecting to other networked printers just using the mouse.

2. After secret realization of the above feat, Linux stops calling itself Linux or even vaguely hinting to the name to loose the "command line mojo ahead" warning sign.

The moment the word "Linux" was mentioned, gOS was doomed. Mark my words.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Rolf, this isn't a real fork, because this distribution will just upgrade together with ubuntu, its just a different interface, but you are right that a single version should be enough (or several with REALLY different goals, for example symphonyOS cann't be compared with any other distribution.)

jim's tips [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I found this to be VERY intriguing, except for one main "feature"...

The case is rather large. Given the components that actually make up the unit, the case is HUGE. I read that the marketing wizards who came up with the design actually determined that customers perceive a larger case as being more powerful! OK, while there may be some merit to their marketing studies, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for s secondary, "kitchen" PC to replace an old HP e-PC. So in my quest, I found the Zonbu computer (http://www.zonbu.com). It's $249 complete, and from the reviews I have read, it makes zero noise, because it uses 4GB of FLASH ram for storage instead of a hard drive, and there are no internal fans. Oh, and Zonbu is about the size of a small cigar box.

So I placed an order for one yesterday, so I'll see how it works. I'll be reviewing it on my JimsTips.com site....

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

^Yeah, but it's only 4GB and doesn't have a screen

jim's tips [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

^You are correct, but for my application, I don't NEED any more than that. I need a Web browser, and really, that's about it.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Looks like they have copied the OSX dock.

16 years ago #

> Sigh, another Linux fork.

It's not a fork. It's a Linux distribution. "Linux" is the kernel of the operating system, maintained by Linus Torvalds. Nobody forks it. And than there are Linux distributions – the thing they have in common is that they all use Linus' kernel, but they are often made for a different people and different purposes, and include different software, tools and configurations. You shouldn't really think about Linux kernel like about a product, but rather like about a technology, that could be used by anyone.

16 years ago #

(or rather "that anybody can build upon")

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

gOS pc's are sold out in the online walmart store, and it seems most people are happy with it http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1130/

shadow [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

but do you HAVE to agree to use the google toolbar in order for the gOS to work?

shadow [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

When you first bootup the PC, you're given a choice – to accept or decline the Google Toolbar EULA.

I would assume that you can decline the EULA and everything goes on it's merry way.

[Signature removed – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!