Forum

Google Desktop 4 Setup  (View post)

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 12, 2006
18 years ago5,802 views

they're full of it.

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Hmm, that's been around forever, but before it was in the installer.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really don't object to search companies doing this because chances are if you are installing thier product, you like thier search engine. Plus, most users don't know how to change the default search engine. It's very hidden on IE. Plus, "everyone's doing it" (it's not like google's the only one)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, this is not a browser... it is a GOOGLE toolbar, therefore, it will use Google Service. Internet Explorer is a browser... it's not called: MSN Internet Explorer.. therefore, I don't think you were making exact comparison.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]Oreo: uh.... i thought the conversation was over GDS4 and not Google Toolbar.

Michael Fagan [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

>It's very hidden on IE

on IE6, yes, but that will all change if IE7 (which is what Google was complaining about) ever ships ;-)

Still, if this was 2000 when Google was a little more strict with their don't be evil thing, I think it would be unchecked by default.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

'Plus, "everyone's doing it" (it's not like google's the only one)'

All companies I can think of with browsers and search engines (AOL for example) do it with their browser.

Dint [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Is it enabled by default?
Didn't matter to me anyway, 'cause it already was my default search engine. =)

And.. I'm not using IE but FF, so no problemo at all. =P

yow [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

it's part of every google application, even those not related to a browser. sometimes i think they develop these applications for only reason – to make you change your default search engine.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Is it possible that it was set by default for those who already have google set in ie

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What would be the point of setting Google as the default search engine on someone's copy of IE if it is already set to that?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hi men :)
   I have a question :
   How can I hide or minimise or delete the Google search box in the sidebar of Google Desktop ?
   Because I can already access to that by "Ctrl-Ctrl" and I need space for others widgets in my sidebar.
   Thanks in advance!!

Neil K. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just want to point out that perhaps Google is just "Fighting fire with fire."
Don't like that opinion?
Well, there's always, "Two wrongs don't make a right..."

Michael White [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Firstly, the problem with MSN being the default search in IE is that they are both owned by the same company. Secondly, hasn't this option been around for a while in Google Desktop setup?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Michael writes...
> Secondly, hasn't this option been around
> for a while in Google Desktop setup?

Might be possible. It's definitely still in even in the new GDS and even after Marissa's statements...

Caleb...
> I really don't object to search companies doing this because
> chances are if you are installing thier product, you like thier
> search engine.

OK, but by that argument, it would be hypocritical for Marissa/ Google to blame IE for doing the same. "IE users prefer the Microsoft browsing experience so they prefer MSN." I don't like setups installing "related" stuff by default, no matter how verified the company thinks this in in relation to the setup.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Firstly, the problem with MSN being the default search in IE is that they are both owned by the same company."

Google desktop is owned by Google as is Google search...

"Secondly, hasn't this option been around for a while in Google Desktop setup?"

Possibly but Google wasn't being hypocritical before it criticised Microsoft

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is pretty sketchy. I hate it when anything tries to change anything by itself. iTunes has some pretty bad defaults (even worse than this), but Apple doesn't have the "do no evil" motto.

Bad Google! No Biscuit.

Andrew Calvo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yea, further proof that Googlers are a bunch of hipocrites

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Google desktop is owned by Google as is Google search... "

Windows is owned by Microsoft, as is Windows Live/MSN Search...

Seriously, Google's option to check or uncheck is simple and clear. On the other hand, IE7 only gives you MSN search in the default list. To add Google or Yahoo, you have to go to a new page and click "Yes" to a scary "Warning" message about changing defaults. Firefox, on the other hand, gives Yahoo and Amazon (not A9) as other options. Windows Live isn't on there because the list is from before it was improved.

Google wasn't saying that Microsoft can't have a default (though they would surely prefer if they didn't), but to at least give some other options on the drop-down list besides MSN. If users don't see other options without clicking for "More search engines," then many might not bother to make the change.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

>>OK, but by that argument, it would be hypocritical for Marissa/ Google to blame IE for doing the same. "IE users prefer the Microsoft browsing experience so they prefer MSN." I don't like setups installing "related" stuff by default, no matter how verified the company thinks this in in relation to the setup.
That's not really a valid comparison. Google desktop is (or started as) primarily a method of searching your desktop, so use of it reflects your opinion of google's search technology. And the two search types are tightly integrated.
IE, on the other hand, is a webbrowser. All browser arguments aside, it's entirely possible that someone might like IE's rendering/interface/some other feature, and prefer google search, than it is that people choose google's desktop search over msn's, but prefer msn/windows live search

Step [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is the first time I've said this, but if it's true (that option defaults to on, and it's relatively new to GDS – 3 or 4), then That Is Evil (even if only a "little" evil.)

I'm very disappointed....

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This option is activated by default in each and every Google Software (Toolbar, Desktop, Picasa, Earth, Video Player, Notifier). They want to assure you search with Google if you type a bad URL in the address bar and that the default search engine for IE7 will be Google when you upgrade IE.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

GDS is a power-sucker.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!