Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Google Domains  (View post)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
17 years ago4,899 views

it looks to me like google just took possession of a bunch of domain names once registered by spammers that contain a version of the word "google"

as most of these domains seem to have been registered a while ago.

perhaps just trying to protect the brand name?

however that doesn't explain the deweycheatum reference..

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I see quite a few mis-spellings on this list, e.g. googlgroups.com, goole-wi-fi.com, googlesecureaxcess.com etc

Whoever is registering these mis-spellings can't have worked out the combinatorial explosion else they would realise it's totally impractical to cover them all.

How much traffic are they going to lose to "googlgroups.com" anyway?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe they also want to protect the Google brand from phishing attacks?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google is starting a service similar to Microsoft Office Live.

Your-Company-Site.com and Your-Online-Site.com will be examples that glorfiy the service like NorthwindTraders.com (Which is now redirected to Microsoft)

That's what I think.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My first association with Your-Online-Site.com was Google Page Creator, but it doesn't really make sense admittedly...

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They use random urls like that in thier api documentation. maybe they just want it for the same reason example.com can't be registered.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Phillip I was thinking the same thing, maybe they'll look to expand it to Small Businesses and Corporate Environment.

Urchin for Tracking.
A Blog powered by Blogger.
We can already use "Gadgets"
Gmail for Domains.

Should be interesting.

Or Google is just trying to keep us busy so we don't find the real thing.

Piotr Konieczny [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

There is a quite simple way, how one can use Google to creat a phishing scenario.

I'm in the middle of reasearching this case. I will post the results here in a few days.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Your-Company-Site.com, in france Google have bought "votre-societe.fr" ("your-company.fr")
Strange...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!