17 years ago13,884 views

http://www.google.com/reader/view/
:D

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ooohhh that's pretty! lol

RC [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow great stuff. i always hated that old ui. maybe now i will start using it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. me is changin RSS reader – full time now :)-

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't like the new UI at first, but I can't resist myself from using it now! ;)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

what I would like is the list view in chronlogical order based on latest feed on top..

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It will take some time to get used to, but I think I like it.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is wonderful. Check the Preferences :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They're calling Tags Tags, Not Labels. This so cool. I have a Bio Test and French Exam tomorrow. So I'll have to check it out during the Weekend ;)

JennyPenny [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

WOW. I love it!!! The interface is really REALLY pretty. =O) I moved all my feeds from Bloglines to Google Reader.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Official Announcement Here

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/your-inbox-for-web.html

"Your Inbox for the Web"

Nice.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I love this even better

www.google.com/reader/m

"If you use the Google Personalized Homepage and have installed our Reader Homepage gadget, it'll automatically show up on your mobile homepage. Simply go to google.com on your mobile phone's browser and click the link to "Personalized Home".
"

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Is it gonna be big? I still see no way to search old posts but it's an improvement on the old layout – I've read throught my feeds about 3-4X quicker than usual.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I shared my pen test public :)-

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/00144073326561688121

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"what I would like is the list view in chronlogical order based on latest feed on top.. "
Maybe you want "list view".

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can someone lease me out their Public ??

We can obtain RSS for a Public page.. I subb'ed to mine public via bloglines.. but I want to sub to another for a small little peek at some other parameters :)-

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

not sure what happened here.. its still sloppy turny..when I'm playing :)-

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/readerwtf1.png

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Whats the co-relation between the publically seeded shared URL and the page ID number ??

Can these numbers be opened to spooffing ?

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/reader2.png

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

wow low me down..........

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hoachi : "Maybe you want "list view"."

No – I already have the list view.. but I want the "list view" for all Subscriptions to show in chronlogical order.. not one sub in chrono and then the next sub in chrono..

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd
Click on "All items" too.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Wow, much better Google. I just used the homepage module for Google Reader because I didn't like the layout of Google Reader. But now I can see myself actually using it. Bravo Google.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow what a rocking change. I like it already

[Name fixed as requested ;-) – Tony]

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oops someone please fix my name on this post (http://blogoscoped.com/forum/69563.html#id69600)

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I love it!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

cool interface..!
i really liked the little ' loading ' window that popped out when i clicked the settings section.. really cool!

BTW, its on Google Labs now:
http://labs.google.com/

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And on the same day, Bloglines improves their reader

http://www.bloglines.com/about/news#122

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hm, I don´t like it, too cluttered. :-(

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

First impressions: I don't like it! Change it back!
Second impressions: Hmmm... I could get used to this! ;-)

How confusing. They're referring to a "Labels" as "Folders" in the "Subscriptions" settings, as "Tags" in the settings tabs (and beneath the feed item) but "Label" and "Labels" in the filter options... come on Google – how about some consistency?

toml [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

[Moved from "new google reder" – Tony]

check it out:)

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's perceptively slower than the old reader, particularly when you're scrolling through a list of items.

That said, otherwise it's brilliant. I've always liked Reader, but it was useless for aggregating things you didn't read religiously. The ability to treat 'news' sources differently from blog entries is invaluable.

17 years ago #

Hey Philip, have you checked out the 'bundles' of RSS feeds you can subscribe to?

They've got a bunch of pre-packaged / labelled feeds like News / Video / Sport – and Google-related. Guess whose blog is the first item in Google-related? Nice one!

To see the bundles choose 'Browse' then click 'More bundles...'.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< First impressions: I don't like it! Change it back!
Second impressions: Hmmm... I could get used to this! ;-) >>

you can still change it back to the old one Tony :)
just click on the 'Settings' link

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Retro, I thought it was faster loading than the old one. Probably a lot of people trying out the new interface. See what the speed is like tomorrow.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

just noticed that the acutally dropped the search field from the front page. guess you don't need the same type of search everywhere. i never used it, so well done google

17 years ago #

I'm sure it's just suffering from 'Google Launch Lag', all their services are twice as slow on launch day, until the hoards drop off or Google ups the server count :)

The more I use the interface the more I'm liking it, Google Reader is the ugly stepchild of Google apps no longer!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I do like it more than the previous one. It seems to work faster for me and more in a Google way...

bernis [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

i like a new design, i may switch from bloglines after all (bad timing for Bloglines, yesterday they introduced some new features that make whole bloglines disfunctional in firefox, nice time to look for new feed reader)

what's still suerior on bloglines is that they updated feeds more often ... i can find new items in bloglines for my feed like every 15 minutes ... google reader now sits for an our with same feed list and there are no new updates (even if i refresh manually)

17 years ago #

Re: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-09-29-n33.html

<< ... in other places inside Google Reader they’re called “folders.” A consistent naming convention would be nice here, and as Google Reader displays the categories as folders, they might just stick with that metaphor. >>

What's more confusing about the "folders" metaphor is that it's possible to add feeds to more than one folder – which obviously isn't possible with traditional folder-based management systems.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Aren't those called symlinks in other systems? Sort of like a Windows shortcut but really transparent. (Not that everyone would instantly understand this...)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo has that. I have two mail addresses that point to the same account.

17 years ago #

Sharing also got much easier, I think. Here's a shared sample page:
http://www.google.com/reader/shared/13603665995777625057

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

thank Philipp this becomes the actual URL for the FEED

http://www.google.com/reader/public/atom/user/13603665995777625057/state/com.google/broadcast

17 years ago #

The public feed page seems to suppress most of the HTML, stryle or script injections...

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

New Favicon too!

17 years ago #

How do you make a shared page like that? Whenever I try it has no items in.

Overall I like the new interface. But the default view should be "All Items" not "Home". "Home" is a useless page that just gets in the way. Hotmail and Yahoo Mail both have such screens before you get to your inbox. Gmail does not. We don't need one on GReader.

17 years ago #

Did you hit the "share" button below specific posts in your Reader, Sam?

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I think the new UI is a gigantic improvement over the previous aesthetically pleasing, but slow and useless design. In particular, I like how much better it handles numerous feeds. Now I can quickly go through hundreds of new stories. However, I still feel that NetNewsWire still offers the best user experience for browsing and reading tons of feeds.

I suspect, similar to my experience with Gmail, that the third time around will be a charm. It wasn't until Gmail really got their act together that I was able to finally make the switch from Mail.app to Gmail.

chris [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

http://www.google.com/reader/next?go=noitems

17 years ago #

Oh. No I didn't click the share button on individual posts. I thought the share page would just be a HTML easy read version of all my posts for other people. But instead it is just a place I can dump certain posts that I think are nice. Interesting.

17 years ago #

Don't miss "List View". It looks identical to Gmail.

I think when you look at that, it would be all too easy to have "Feeds" next to "Chats" in Gmail.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Agreed. I think it will be a feeds item in gmail very soon. Would be nice if gmail cleaned up the interface a little too.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Stand-alone RSS reader makes more sense. Integration into Gmail would be too violent.

17 years ago #

<< Would be nice if gmail cleaned up the interface a little too. >>

Maybe Gmail will move towards this folder/tag/label view too...? That might be easier for new users to get their heads around at least. At the moment, Gmail users tend to be more tech-savvy, but if they're to appeal to a wider audience (like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) then they may need to dumb it down a little bit, and I think this would work as an option.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree Tony.

Is there any way to rename tags anymore though? I don't think there is.

17 years ago #

Mambo, I think you're right. There are no renaming options under the "Tags" section. It looks like you can only delete them from there. (You can't even create new ones – you must do this from you "Subscriptions" tab by adding a new folder!)

17 years ago #

For all you programmers, it's interesting to see that Google's using lots of JSON in this version of Google Reader. For example, this will show your all the feeds you're subscribed to:

http://www.google.com/reader/api/0/subscription/list?output=json

Note, however, that it's also available in XML, perhaps for backwards compatibility with their old Google Reader UI?

http://www.google.com/reader/api/0/subscription/list?output=xml

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony: just out of interest, why is JSON to prefer above XML?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Easy to parse? Already JS code?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This layout is much similar to GMail. So Is Google planning on integration with GMail (Which I would love) or Will Reader remain Standalone.

17 years ago #

What's weird is that if you add a bundle and then delete all items in it, there will be a special icon left over that is not a folder – it's more like an icon representing a tag/ label.

The easiest integration of Reader would probably be the corner bookmarks section (top left of Gmail). Everything else would be annoying or confusing to people who don't use any RSS reader. (E.g. I'm a heavy email user but I don't use any RSS reader.)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I use Google Reader each day, each hour or minute when I can, because I have subscribed to 130+ often-updated feeds. And I don't really like this new version. It's too long, too many bugs... I will wait a little, and if I really do not like the new version, I will go back to the old version...

Jason H [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Well it looks like you and Matt Cutts are pretty good e-friends, doesn't it? You read his blog, and he reads yours!

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/review-google-reader/

On topic: I like the redesign, though at first I didn't. If it defaulted to opening "All items" and "List view" I'd be happy as a pea in a pod.

17 years ago #

TOMHTML, I assume you've tried clicking "All items" and viewing it that way? You might also want to try the list view. I found this new version a bit messy until I saw that. Having tried those two things, I'm now very happy with this new version.

Also, when you've only got five minutes to check Google Reader, the "folders" approach can be really useful if you only want to read the feeds that are likely to contain good stuff...

Jase [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Miles better

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, huge improvement. Tags seem a little buggy as they don't seem to stick everytime, at least when Tagging in the reading window.

I think Google Reader is my new default reader.

TonyB

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"TOMHTML, I assume you've tried clicking "All items" and viewing it that way?"
> Yes, I do, of course, and THIS is very long to load :-(
I do not need to check only one part of my feeds, because all is important, so the folders aren't really really useful for the moment (I didn't say useless!)

And there is some bugs, for exemple it shows "All items (1)" and when I click on I got "no new item". I have to digg in the directories to found the damned item

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

funny.. GB heads the list on google related within the bundle :)_

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/reader3.png

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"heads the recommended light on google-related"

... because it's alphabetical (sorry to dampen). but yes, well done.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey, has anyone noticed the "Submit to Netscape" link at the bottom of each story in Reader? This could give Digg a run for its money (if Reader sees any success, of course).

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mambo, Where does it "exactly" say that ?

I never find these things :(

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is it Possible that the Feeds you're subscribed to are powered by FeedBurner and the Web Master enabled that in the Feed ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah Mambo, what are you talking about ?? I dont see any

===> "Submit to Netscape" link at the bottom of each story in Reader?"

below each story are these options. and *not* what you mention..

"Add star- Unshare- Email- Mark as read -Add tags"

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry, my bad. I think it's part of the RSS feed I'm subscribed to. It's only on Engadget.

But, it does render those footer options quite well.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You're right Mambo.

It is part of Engadget's Feed (And I was right too, It's Powered by FeedBurner)

http://feeds.engadget.com/weblogsinc/engadget

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Then we're all happy :-)

False alarm everybody! I'm off for my pizza, now.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Any idea why Tags are not picking up the displaying the "Tags" or catogory of the orginal post ?? Why can't reader just display the catogories within the tag feild ?

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm going to try and use Google Reader as my main RSS reader from now on. I used to use Safari, but a few weeks ago it started to annoy me and I use it way less, but that means I've been less in touch with my feeds.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I found out the hard way that I had more than 2000 starred items by going through and shared a bunch of them:

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/14187970455121264404

Unfortunately, I went through newest to oldest (that's how they are presented to you, after all) and Google posted them oldest to newest, yet associated a new date to the old items. So stuff from late 2005 shows up as October 1st, 2006...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Oops...an error occurred. Please try again in a few seconds."

I receive this one out of two times, is it a common problem?

EricaJoy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

There are a some new updates to Reader today:

Pick your start page: You can now select which page you'd like to see when you first log in to Reader ("Home", "All items", or any folder or tag). Simply go to settings and on the Preferences tab pick which one you'd like to see.

Hiding the left side: If you'd like to get the list of subscriptions on the left out of the way so you can focus on what you're reading, you can just hit the u key (press it again to go back to the regular view).

Refreshing: We've added a small "Refresh" link at the bottom of the list of subscriptions, so you can easily refresh them to see if there are new items. Better yet, they will automatically refresh every few minutes, so you shouldn't even have to click the link. When an unread count has changed, it will flash yellow for a split-second to help you find it. This yellow fade made our Web 2.0 meter that we have in our office move up a tick.

Space is smart again: The space key now intelligently goes from item to item and from page to page (for longer items), just like it used to in the old interface.

http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2006/10/we-made-it-little-bit-better.html

17 years ago #

Nice of them to let us select the home page in Reader. This was one of the requested features from many people...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It seems to work better now indeed, anyway even with those bugs, I love to use this great tool...

Mihai Parparita [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

One pther change that we made in this last update is that any shared tag can have a plain HTML page with all the posts. This means that Philipp's "Google's Blogs 'n More" page now has some (official) competition:

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/10949413115399023739/label/officialgoogleblogs-all

Mihai Parparita
Google Reader Engineer

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mihai, is there anyware to automatically "share" an entry ?? I can sub to every offical google blog , but I still need to yeild a share status manually..correct ??

Else, I am not sure how "Google's Blogs .. page now has some (official) competition:"

17 years ago #

You can now share any tag. If you subscribe to a bunch of blogs, give them the same subscription tag, and then make that tag public, you will end up with a spliced page like the one I linked to.

17 years ago #

Just to be clear, I was kidding about the "competition" bit. Philipp's page is styled a bit better (by reducing each post to a snippet), and he can make some editorial decisions about what blogs are worth including. I just wanted to point out that creating such spliced pages is easier now.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just for Clarifications are you splicing the feed based on tags ?? This is interesting.. it it the same method that you were experimeneting w/dodgeball

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I tried to splice, but I am findin that even if I lease the "tag" to public, the post is not being rendered onto my public page..

What am I doing wrong ?? heres my footprint..

!) Manage subscriptions
2) Tag
3) Chose (tick) tag that needs to be public
4) Change sharing from Private to Public
5) Go back to Google Reader

Utills [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey Mihai,

Brilliant job with the redesign of Google Reader. Is it possible for the public pages to have more user friendly URLs? Since they are public you dont have the Picasa Web Albums scenario about guessing hidden albums or anything like that.

Apart from that I think many people have mentioned this but the "r" for refresh seems broken in the new update and the shortcut "u" seems broken in a few cases.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A little problem I have with the readers short keys.
If i push r = refresh, j/k = previous/next it all works perfect.
If i push gh or ga or g anything, my firefox search bar at the bottom opens and het short keys don't work.
Does anybody knows how to resolve this?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK I manged to auto spliced on "google" itself.

heres my public

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/00144073326561688121/label/googlers

17 years ago #

Utills,

The "r" and "u" issues have just been fixed. As for friendlier URLs, we would like to offer that, but we have to be careful (if we simply used the Google Account user name, that would mean that spammers could infer your email address).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!