Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Random Site Button  (View post)

Jack [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
17 years ago6,829 views

[moved from new thread]

hey, now u can search without querying:) haha
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/searching-without-query.html

I actually tried it: works quite well, pretty fun that tab full of recommendations

did u get accurate stuff? that u liked?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think I hit a dead end just now after half a dozen sites:

"You've seen all of your interesting items for today.
Try again tomorrow for new interesting items!"

Wonder if I get less because I disabled search history?

Henning [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Might be slighty off-topic, but: Consider using www.validome.org instead of the W3C validator. For my site it detected more errors and gave helpful suggestions to correct them (seems to use a better parser).

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google's official post about this new feature:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/searching-without-query.html

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maye this is google's strategy ...because stumbleupon will get acquired by AOL or eBay!!

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've just tried it. The results are good, but not accure: I'm a photoshop user, I work with it every day, and I focus on graphics. I know how to use it, so I don't need to use internet to know what to do.
But when I play the guitar or when I try to make a 3D animation, I need to search tabs or tutorials, and that is what's in my search history. So, today, I have a pretty long list about guitars, sound equipment, and 3D models. Nothing about my favourite music groups, graphics or what I really like.
So: it's ok, but it still needs some tuning.

Nicholas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Custom buttons don't work with Firefox ????

mblair [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nicholas, they do if you get the latest toolbar.

I've tried it and the results have been poor so far – StumbleUpon's results are far better for me. I think this is because Google is taking a passive approach as opposed to StumbleUpon's more active approach. But if at some point Google integrates all their features into one social network as a hub, then this could be the seeds of a StumbleUpon killer.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Where do I verify "I'm feeling lucky" is turned on?

TonyB

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

TonyB: Um, you can't verify it as far as I know. You only get ONE CHANCE to activate "I'm feeling lucky...". Click on Add a Tab and make sure the check box below IS CHECKED. Then it magically happens...sorta.

Unfortunately, you can't change this option later.

My Recommendations tab is not bad, giving me web development, programming, comics, a Renderman Google Group and a ... Shakira music video.

Hmm...

Still, it's good fun. I could grow to like "Keyword fun" Google.

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I copied the URL that appears after I clicked on the dices and it looks like you don't need to use the whole toolbar, just add the URL to your bookmarks:

http://www.google.com/searchhistory/items?op=rec_rd&cd=ifb&hl=en

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think i suggested this to them at least 15 months ago. They have now probably done half of the big suggestions i've emailed them about :)

Talkrabb [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I added the “Recommendations” Tab. In "Videos" the image of a undressed transsexual appeared.

So that is what Google learns of my search history...

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

DPic,

From what you state... either you're hiding a time machine from us, or you're making some pretty good suggestions :P

Talkrabb, if you aren't uncomfortable noting this, could you tell me what your Google SafeSearch preferences are set at? (http://www.google.com/preferences)

I'm not claiming that that video was an appropriate selection for you, but if your SafeSearch is set at "strict filtering," then this is definitely a bug I'll escalate.

Talkrabb [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Adam,
I use moderate filtering (default) "Moderate Filterung verwenden (Filter nur für Bilder mit eindeutigem Inhalt – Standardeinstellung)" at www.google.de

Andreas

Talkrabb [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Adam,

I just saw that you work for Google. If you wish to reproduce the problem my account name there is also "Talkrabb".

Meanwhile I removed "Videos" from "Recommendations" because this video was definitely not what I was looking for (and I neither want videos like this to appear on my computer at work or at home).

Andreas

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I had quite a long list of sites in the dropdown, most of which I've visited before (probably taken straight out of my search history) whilst others were related to fairly recent queries I'd made. I really don't see how this is useful to me though. I visited Prague earlier this year, so did a lot of searching for hotels and things to do in Prague. Now I've been, I'm no longer interested in sites about Prague, yet they dominate my list of random sites.

I'd prefer random sites to be recommended based on my Google Reader subscriptions. At least then they would actually be based on things I'm currently interested in.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google really a fast GongFu King.

Yahoo just buy StumbleUpon.com, and Just join Paypal Chart to Yahoo search.

Google's fight so fast. Did I memori's wrong, or ... Just "Stumble Upon" by chance, this time Google seams back to 1999, fast and right.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry, my memory really wrong, it is Ebay to Aquire StumbleUpon, but Yahoo support Ebay to againse Google Checkout. That complexed

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd actually find it more useful to get random new fun sites, not stuff related to my history. I got a lot of programming stuff, but when I look for a programming tool I certainly don't rely on chance, I just search for it. When I'm in the mood to hit the "dice" button it's probably because I got some minutes to waste, looking for some online games or stuff... it's just a different expectation than my "average search history".

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Philipp, point well taken.

Andreas, I escalated the situation you noted internally and it's been taken care of; thanks for bringing this to our attention.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Weirdly, like Tony, I get loads of Prague sites recommended (apparently because I searched for "czech dictionary"). Clever, eh? Actually, though, all I wanted to do was look up a word in Czech once: I won't be doing that a lot, and probably won't be going to Prague any time soon . . . :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!